First build Alpair12p Mar-Ken Golden Ratio, Newbie Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading this site for years, this is my first post:)
The foam on my AER drivers in Oris Horn has disintegrated and not in a rush to refoam, I decided to build the Mark Audio golden ratio speakers with Alpairs 12p. I have the drivers playing in their boxes at low volume and am impressed with the sound already. I will drive them with a 300B 6SN7 DIY mono blocks. Pardon my ignorance, I have some questions for build: I have 1/2 wool felt for lining the insides, does the vertical baffle need to be lined up with felt as well? Should i use the rubber gasket that came with the drivers or mount directly to birch ply? And what wire do people use for internal wiring?
Thanks a lot for your input!

In no particular order:
I’d always recommend using only the supplied gaskets and mounting screws, and definitely don’t over torque them, the composite resin -call it plastic if you must- frames can be cracked.
I lined as much of the inside walls with the 1/2” felt as possible, taking care to not occlude the internal openings to high aspect ratio vent slots. If implementing a vertical internal brace - i.e. from top to bottom and front to back - it should be offset by material thickness so that one face is centred, to which a thin layer of damping fibre - not the thicker material used for wall lining- should be applied.

As for internal wiring, I think it’s fair to say opinions vary, but considering the total length and power levels involved, you could easily get away with something as small as #24 solid. Just make sure it’s accessible should you feel the need to experiment with audiophile grade snake oil imbedded esoterica.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.