Need help choosing driver and design for living room/dining room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
an alpair 10M gen 3 in a 23L ported box should do the job easely. I used a speaker like that for years (but it was tuned a bit lower). Now i'm with a waw with that alpair 10M gen 3 and a 10" scanspeak woofer (because i'm a bass addict), but even without that woofer, you got a decent bass till the mid 30's if you tune the box right. for 40Hz it's absolutly no problem with this driver.

Cocktail party speaker

GM: Would you please elaborate a bit on your comment in post #14 that up high is better in most cases? As the subject of this post is a set of modest box speakers, would your comment also apply to building them into a wall up high, or a soffit/cabinet? The OP did mention an idea about placing them near some dish cabinets.

Although my room is larger than the one the OP describes, I'm interested in music for casual listening, parties, etc. I've posted previously about possibly building into a wall on one end of my room, but also happen to have a soffit running perpendicular to the end wall. The bottom of that soffit is 8' off the floor, and 6' forward of the rear wall. The room extends a further 22' from the soffit. (My intent here is not to hijack his thread, but to gather more info)

Also mentioned in his post were comments about the Mark Audio Alpairs. Those look very interesting, and would provide a great excuse to drive over to Madisound and potentially score a bargain or two.

Just one further thought for the OP; Would a high efficiency coaxial speaker accomplish the same goal overall? Are there any that fit his budget that provide good sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.