little 2-inch speaker surround foam vs 70% alcohol gets gets rubbery?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
little 2-inch speaker surround foam vs 70% alcohol gets rubbery?

it got all wrinkly looking but once the rubbing alcohol fully evaporated the surround feels rubbery and not wrinkly looking anymore. I have another identical speaker to compare it to and it springs back instantly vs the one with soaked with rubbing alcohol then dried that takes a split second longer.
it also wont tear. I easily ripped the other one to crumbled shreds

but the one soaked in the rubbing alcohol then dried is like silicone rubber or something it stretches a little but wont tear it just deforms and slowly forms back to shape? it seems stronger even? what could cause this strange behavior? is that just how rubbing alcohol reacts with that specific speaker surround? its a really cheap 3W 4ohm 2-inch speaker from a bluetooth speaker. so they didnt cost more than a bag of chips.

what do you think about that?

Last edited:
I think that breathing in rubbing alcohol fumes could cause strange behaviour. :)

I prefer a Highland Single Malt Whisky with my chips (or crisps as we call them)!

Attachments

• Tomatin Legacy.jpg
    Tomatin Legacy.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 109
Many things possible, do you make your isopropanol 70% V/V or you buy it ?
commercial product can have 1to4% of isopropanone (acetone) and other secondary product, the rest is water.
i use 99,98 minimum grade because i don't pay it and no problem on standard polymere.
if you using a grade under 99.5%, thinking acetone and avoid rubber, plastic and other polymere for safety.
Like xrk say many foam react with polaire solvant, other with appolaire....if you can't test before, don't try.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s probably the other ingredients that are used to denature the alcohol so you can’t drink it. Acetone would surely melt polyurethane foam. Actually, to think of it, I recall making my own polyurethane foam from a kit (poly and catalyst/foaming agent). The standard solvent recommended for cleaning up was denatured 99% ethyl alcohol.

so dont get it on any plastic or rubber or foam speaker things? what about fabric surrounds?

also could I use a few layers with drying time in between a few layers of thin rubber cement brushed gently onto a speaker surround to help make the surround last longer if its made of foam or paper? would that help make it last longer? or would it get wrinkly like the alcohol does do it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.