3D printed, full range monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Patrick - thanks for the Mortite reference. I do find it in Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk. Tried to find an European equivalent that would be available locally, but no luck yet. But good to know that I have some source for it still as it seems a very good idea indeed 'enforcing and dampening' the 3D prints. Waveguides too I'm sure.

I too use PETG much more than PLA for these type of jobs. Prusa printer does ok with 0.2mm layers and I need to slow down the first layer a lot to 30% or so, but after that it works ok also at 100% of the speed using Prusa generic PET profiles.

Try butyl tape or butyl rope. They're used for sealing lightweight panels such as on minivans, caravans.

Here's a video about mortite : YouTube

Here in the USA, it's readily available at most hardware stores. I first started using it to deaden speakers and waveguides, then found that it has about a thousand uses. It's crazy stuff. The main feature is that it doesn't harden. You can literally re-use it after two years of exposure, it's basically the same as when it came out of the box.

I'm hoping that the extra thick printed walls, and the body filler/spray paint should be enough to seal the box, and then some mortite would be good for dealing around the speaker itself.

Right now I'm still trying to figure out some print quality issues before I retry printing the full size speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.