Advice on choosing the best 8 inch fullrange drivers?

Hello everyone. I am looking at getting a new pair of 8 inch fullrange driver's. Here are the list of drivers I am looking at?

1. Audax AM21LB25ALBC driver's.
2. Visaton B-200 driver's.
3. Dayton Audio's PS-220-08 driver's.
4. Hemptone HT8FR-04 driver's.
5. Tang Band W8-1808 driver's.
6. Fostex F-200 A Driver's.
7. Mark Audio alpair 12p driver's.
8. Lowther driver's ( if they can be shipped to me )?

That's all of the 8 inch driver's I have my eyes on? If someone could give me advice on these driver's that would be great? Sound, set up and is it worth it to spend more money on certain driver's then other's? Thanks Jm

Update. I want to use them as a 2 channel set up. I will be using them for music and to go low as possible. If I need to add a sub I will after I build my speakers first. Jm

Last edited:
I have owned the Visaton B200 and used them in an open baffle setup. In addition, they had the Planet 10 phase plugs installed. Quality built drivers that could take lots of power, but still efficient enough for small tube amps.

A quality driver with a great tone for sure. That said, I found the highs a bit lacking for my tastes, and the directivity of a full ranger of this size has its limitations. Originally the drivers were said to sound shouty in spots, but had not listened to them without phase plugs, so I can only imagine what was meant. They definitely seemed well behaved with a phase plug. I would not shy away from the 8 inch full range driver, as I feel the size of the cone has merits, but be cautioned that there may be some areas that aren't as satisfying for some. I would be inclined to consider drivers that employ a phase plug or have really good highs off axis.

Of all the drivers listed the Audax is the only one I haven't really heard of, and my reading tells me that many of the drivers you're considering are of good quality and would be worth trying based on my reading.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
8” is bigger than i usually like.

Some comments:
I do like the B200 but only with phase plugs (as per mortron). Need to be in an OB or a big aperiodic box (i’m not a big OB fan, i intend on putting my B200 in a big aperiodic box.

Looks like you can still find the Hemp Acoustics. A decent driver, but the manufacture screwed a lot of people.

Similarly, F200A might be hard to find, an excellent driver.

I find the W8-1808 kinda coloured and overpriced IMO.

The Alpair 12/12p/12pw are all 6.5” drivers. Probably at the top of the list you posted. even lacking a bit of top end i prefer the A12pw.

I did a pair of PS220 and i really liked them (limited listening time on these).

Lowthers are in a whole different price range… i’d spend that money on a smaller FR and helper woofer(s).

dave

You should also add to your list Audio Nirvana 8" Super (phase plug and whizzer), 8" Super Plus (phase plug and camel humps - no whizzer), and 8" Classic (no additions). Choose from subtle differences in sound according on your listening preferences. All high quality products.

I'm using 10" Classics and am very happy with them.

Wow alot of useful info. Thanks for the insightful help. I have heard alot of good things about the visaton B-200. I was looking at the A.N. driver's but the recent price hike drove me away. I will look into a few of these driver's and what I will use them for and update as soon as I have them in my hands. Cheers JM

Some of these have whizzers; others like AN Classic and MA do not. That's something you might want to consider.

The pricing on the ANs should not be a factor. With ferrite magnets the Super 8" is $125, the 8" Super Plus is $175, and the 8" Classic is $187.50. That's considerably less than some of the models you listed, and very competitive with Dayton and MA.

Trying to compare is difficult as the drivers (no apostrophe required ;) ) are all rather different from each other, so it depends exactly what you want to be doing.

-The Alpair 12P is actually a 6 1/2in driver, not an 8in. A very good unit and quite flexible, but smaller than the others, albeit with a significantly higher linear travel.

-The B200 was primarily designed for OB use and sealed boxes; it's very good within this context, albeit improved with the addition of a central plug, but not ideal for other roles. Can be done, but takes a bit of effort.

-The F200a is no longer produced; an excellent driver but now 2nd hand only, except in the unlikely event you can find someone with NOS.

-Lowther ship all over the world so I see no reason why you couldn't obtain a pair. Note that each model is quite distinct, and available with either 8ohm or 15ohm coils in aluminium or silver. This is not 'just because': the coil material has a major impact on both the response behaviour and T/S behaviour. If unsupported with dedicated LF units and high passed, Lowthers are really best suited to horn variations due to their short VC gap & limited travel. They can be used in other enclosure types, but the price is reduced practical SPLs / dynamic range.

-The W8-1808 is reasonably flexible & can be used in a variety of box types; another option is its 1772 stablemate with more motor power.

-Hemptone are a bit of an unknown; I'm not even sure the company is still in business / selling drivers to the DIY market. From fallible memory their 8in units fell into a fairly average bracket in spec. terms so were moderately flexible though not spectacularly so.

-The Audax is a bit of an unknown at present; IIRC Madisound have only recently started carrying it. Fairly classical example of this type of 8in whizzer cone widebander; looks reasonable for what it is and no more or less workable than some others. Should be reasonably flexible.

As some have noted, there are other units out there, such as the Audio Nirvanas, and Fostex's current 8in units are worth looking at also depending on how much you want to spend & what you intend doing.

I've heard good things about the Wild Burro Betsys, tang bands and daytons, mentioned earlier, but I don't have any sets yet. Currently I've been having some fun with the cheap quam-nichols 8c1fepaxb and mcm 55-5695 8"ers, but they require cone treatments, enabl and an lcr filter to get the nicest response.

Hello everyone. I am looking at getting a new pair of 8 inch fullrange driver's.
Update. I want to use them as a 2 channel set up. I will be using them for music and to go low as possible. If I need to add a sub I will after I build my speakers first. Jm

Curious as to why you have already decided on an 8" full range if you are willing to add a sub afterwards. You might be better off with a 4" or 6.5" full range instead. Lots more choices in those sizes, lower prices, not much need for whizzers, better HF dispersion, smaller cabinets, etc. If your expectation as you said is to go as low as possible, you're not going to achieve that without a sub. So why compromise the mid and high end.

I was wondering the same thing, is 8” a no-mans-land kinda size. I have built using 4” drivers, a size with lots of star player options and ripe for a supporting sub. I’ve also built with an Audio Nirvana 15” where it’s big enough to do it all superbly but it is a v big box. I can’t see where an 8” fits in unless the enclosure is designed to bring out the bass without help from a sub; an MLTL would be a good choice in my view for low-medium Qts and with the drivers sporting larger Qts I'd look at a Boffle type enclosure (this is what I used for my 15" driver). And I’d look at Audio Nirvana only if I could afford to pay for the top line Alnico.

Last edited:
For the Audio Nirvana drivers you have to look at the details. They have a lot of drivers and there are few that I'd pick as good so there may well be less than stellar reports from people who haven't picked wisely. I have only experience with their Super 15" driver and it is absolutely superb. If I were looking for an 8" driver from their range I'd start with the spec sheet.

All the 'Super' versions have a whizzer means good dispersion (it works v. well on the 15", read the praise for that driver from Bud Purvine). I use my 15" driver as a single speaker for mono, for room filling sound where stereo would otherwise restrict listening positions etc. In this application the whizzer gives amazing dispersion and hence is the best choice for me. In a stereo set up your view may differ and the classic non-whizzer version may be preferable if you plan to sit in the sweet spot.

There are plenty of AN 8" drivers sporting FR curves with poor bass response and there's no fixing that with active EQ for these drivers due to low Xmas of 1mm. For these drivers, if you plan to use a supporting woofer to make a FAST/WAW arrangement then this opens up the option to use any of the AN drivers depending on box design.

There is also a wide range of Vas and Qts values between their drivers so box options are quite different depending on what you are looking for.

AN Super 8 AlNiCo: Qts is 0.816 so there's not going to be a small box BR alignment for this, FR looks pretty good with an upward tilt past 2kHz but that may be a non-issue with some toe-in.

AN Super 8 Ferrite: the FR falls off below 500Hz and is down considerably at 100Hz, which means tough to get bass. Qts only 0.162, very low for this brand and even with a box the bass is not going to be there. Pass on this one for single-driver.

AN Super 8 Neo: bass falls off below 300Hz, bass will be a big challenge in most configurations. Pass on this one for single-driver.

AN Classic 8+ AlNiCo: note the "+" very different driver from anything else they have and it's very expensive but the spec look excellent. FR is very usable, Qts at 0.63 and smallish Vas at 69l. This would be my first choice for an 8" driver from AN.

AN Classic 8+ Ferrite: very poor FR, falls off below 1kHz, no idea what they are expecting anybody to do with this driver outside of a BLH. Pass on this one.

AN Classic 8 AlNiCo: FR looks good, Qts is highish at 0.82. The high end rolls off a bit earlier than the '+' version though but otherwise looks good.

AN Classic 8 Neo: low end slopes off below 200Hz so bass extension will be a challenge. Pass on this one for single-driver.

AN Classic 8 Ferrite: bass response slopes off quickly below 150Hz so there will be no bass extension there. Pass on this one for single-driver.

So for me the best options are the AlNiCo versions. I'm no fan-boy of Audio Nirvana because I've only heard one of their drivers! but I am a big fan of the 15" that I own. I am also worried that some may be put-off AN as a choice because of bad experiences others have had with their obviously deficient drivers - you need to choose wisely.

Last edited:
Trying to compare is difficult as the drivers (no apostrophe required ;) ) are all rather different from each other, so it depends exactly what you want to be doing.

-The Alpair 12P is actually a 6 1/2in driver, not an 8in. A very good unit and quite flexible, but smaller than the others, albeit with a significantly higher linear travel.

-The B200 was primarily designed for OB use and sealed boxes; it's very good within this context, albeit improved with the addition of a central plug, but not ideal for other roles. Can be done, but takes a bit of effort.

-The F200a is no longer produced; an excellent driver but now 2nd hand only, except in the unlikely event you can find someone with NOS.

-Lowther ship all over the world so I see no reason why you couldn't obtain a pair. Note that each model is quite distinct, and available with either 8ohm or 15ohm coils in aluminium or silver. This is not 'just because': the coil material has a major impact on both the response behaviour and T/S behaviour. If unsupported with dedicated LF units and high passed, Lowthers are really best suited to horn variations due to their short VC gap & limited travel. They can be used in other enclosure types, but the price is reduced practical SPLs / dynamic range.

-The W8-1808 is reasonably flexible & can be used in a variety of box types; another option is its 1772 stablemate with more motor power.

-Hemptone are a bit of an unknown; I'm not even sure the company is still in business / selling drivers to the DIY market. From fallible memory their 8in units fell into a fairly average bracket in spec. terms so were moderately flexible though not spectacularly so.

-The Audax is a bit of an unknown at present; IIRC Madisound have only recently started carrying it. Fairly classical example of this type of 8in whizzer cone widebander; looks reasonable for what it is and no more or less workable than some others. Should be reasonably flexible.

As some have noted, there are other units out there, such as the Audio Nirvanas, and Fostex's current 8in units are worth looking at also depending on how much you want to spend & what you intend doing.

Thanks for your advice on the driver's I listed. Thanks for your impression's of these driver's on what know about them. Jm

Last edited:
For the Audio Nirvana drivers you have to look at the details. They have a lot of drivers and there are few that I'd pick as good so there may well be less than stellar reports from people who haven't picked wisely. I have only experience with their Super 15" driver and it is absolutely superb. If I were looking for an 8" driver from their range I'd start with the spec sheet.

All the 'Super' versions have a whizzer means good dispersion (it works v. well on the 15", read the praise for that driver from Bud Purvine). I use my 15" driver as a single speaker for mono, for room filling sound where stereo would otherwise restrict listening positions etc. In this application the whizzer gives amazing dispersion and hence is the best choice for me. In a stereo set up your view may differ and the classic non-whizzer version may be preferable if you plan to sit in the sweet spot.

There are plenty of AN 8" drivers sporting FR curves with poor bass response and there's no fixing that with active EQ for these drivers due to low Xmas of 1mm. For these drivers, if you plan to use a supporting woofer to make a FAST/WAW arrangement then this opens up the option to use any of the AN drivers depending on box design.

There is also a wide range of Vas and Qts values between their drivers so box options are quite different depending on what you are looking for.

AN Super 8 AlNiCo: Qts is 0.816 so there's not going to be a small box BR alignment for this, FR looks pretty good with an upward tilt past 2kHz but that may be a non-issue with some toe-in.

AN Super 8 Ferrite: the FR falls off below 500Hz and is down considerably at 100Hz, which means tough to get bass. Qts only 0.162, very low for this brand and even with a box the bass is not going to be there. Pass on this one for single-driver.

AN Super 8 Neo: bass falls off below 300Hz, bass will be a big challenge in most configurations. Pass on this one for single-driver.

AN Classic 8+ AlNiCo: note the "+" very different driver from anything else they have and it's very expensive but the spec look excellent. FR is very usable, Qts at 0.63 and smallish Vas at 69l. This would be my first choice for an 8" driver from AN.

AN Classic 8+ Ferrite: very poor FR, falls off below 1kHz, no idea what they are expecting anybody to do with this driver outside of a BLH. Pass on this one.

AN Classic 8 AlNiCo: FR looks good, Qts is highish at 0.82. The high end rolls off a bit earlier than the '+' version though but otherwise looks good.

AN Classic 8 Neo: low end slopes off below 200Hz so bass extension will be a challenge. Pass on this one for single-driver.

AN Classic 8 Ferrite: bass response slopes off quickly below 150Hz so there will be no bass extension there. Pass on this one for single-driver.

So for me the best options are the AlNiCo versions. I'm no fan-boy of Audio Nirvana because I've only heard one of their drivers! but I am a big fan of the 15" that I own. I am also worried that some may be put-off AN as a choice because of bad experiences others have had with their obviously deficient drivers - you need to choose wisely.

Thanks for the insighful advice on the A.N. driver's. I don't know much about them and I have read good and bad things about them. I did hear one of their old classic 8's at at a diy show a long time ago. On low volume and very smooth and laid back sound next to the fostex Fe series. Again it was a long time ago and on low volumes. The own said he was still breaking them in and he had a 12 inch jbl woofer below it. Thanks again. I will be wise by pming you if I am going to buy a A.N. driver. Thanks Jm