Golden ratio bass horn

I hate bumping a four year old thread, but I would love to see a video of this thing in action.

I am currently resto-modding a mid-fifties Wards Airline phono console, and was thinking about modifying the cabinet as a horn design instead of the current open baffle. Math says I have about 143 liters of box volume to play with underneath the radio chassis, and I feel like a similar design might do some justice.

Hmm, lost track of this thread. :( Don't know the axial length, but its linear length is ~20 Hz, so actual is even lower + boundary gain!

Re 'slap echo', the horn sides are parallel so primarily a parabolic horn ergo one of the parallel sides ideally needs a felt pad at the terminus and considering its size, might need one on the other side and bottom too.

OK, choose your peak SPL, efficency per the chart.

Attachments

• 0Vented Box ref. eff. limits.PNG
    0Vented Box ref. eff. limits.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 58
No, speaker design is a bit more involved, though sometimes you get lucky like I did a couple of times early on, but it was more due to drivers of a size having a generic performance for max interchangeability whereas today most manufacturers want the opposite.

That said, it's a rather basic horn, so probably will have some luck scaling based on your driver's Fs, then can sim its specs to find the 'close enough' scaling to the horn's near 500 L net Vb.

Reactions: 1 user