Best damping stuff for fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
'$360 USD for a kg! Very pricey stuff.'

Yes, but you don't need much.
Tang Band W5-2143 in 20 liter box. 40 grams of angel hair makes 14,40 USD per box:

9k=

Twaron Angel hair works excellent at mid frequencies. A little goes a long way (can clearly be seen in impedance plots). I found fiberglass (the itchy stuff) hard to beat at lower frequencies (in a sealed enclosure, wouldn't want it in a ported solution).
A combination actually worked remarkably well over a large range. So did wool felt on walls with fiberglass fill.

first%20results%20damping.jpg

Here's a plot, but not with a pure fill of angel hair. I wanted a solution for the entire range I was going to use these drivers in (about 20 to 20 kHz :)) so that's where my focus was.
I might have some more data saved somewhere, pretty sure I also tried Angel hair by itself.
Here's the original post: The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Edit: I looked trough the files I saved, sadly no Angel hair solo measurements. I took those measurements on an older laptop and only transferred the plots that satisfied my curiosity at the time. I had about 3 days of testing all kinds of materials and combinations.
I finally opted for a combination of wool felt (real sheep wool) on all walls and fiberglass as fill. Nasty itchy stuff, but a one time deal putting it in a sealed enclosure.

Last edited:
first%20results%20damping.jpg

Here's a plot, but not with a pure fill of angel hair. I wanted a solution for the entire range I was going to use these drivers in (about 20 to 20 kHz :)) so that's where my focus was.
I might have some more data saved somewhere, pretty sure I also tried Angel hair by itself.
Here's the original post: The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Edit: I looked trough the files I saved, sadly no Angel hair solo measurements. I took those measurements on an older laptop and only transferred the plots that satisfied my curiosity at the time. I had about 3 days of testing all kinds of materials and combinations.
I finally opted for a combination of wool felt (real sheep wool) on all walls and fiberglass as fill. Nasty itchy stuff, but a one time deal putting it in a sealed enclosure.
Thanks a lot. Seems angel hair lowers the impedance peak around 180 hz a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.