Pics New Lowther "Alfredo" horn using CNC'd Birch Ply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking forward to starting this exciting new project, modernising the Alfredo design. (Alf Lepp (RIP) was the designer, and the plans are in the public domain.)

The unit is approx 1150mm tall x 580mm deep.

It should be weighty given the solid sections of CNC'd ply.

Cues taken from recent Tang Band BLF project with exposed ply....plus my C-Horn.

I'll also be including a new Lowther baffle 'ring' which is machined in MDF, which was tricky to create as Lowther uses an off-circle shape.

Driver of choice, PM7A (Alnico).

Andrew

Attachments

• ALFREDO.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 457
  • Alfredo Speaker Drawing CAD.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 591
  • round lowther frame.pdf
    49 KB · Views: 336
  • Tang Band driver.jpg
    Tang Band driver.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,648
  • C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    921.7 KB · Views: 1,647
Mostly sanded....brace added with Oak hardwood trim on edges, dampening added to 1/3 of horn.

New CNC'd Lowther driver frame surround in MDF and gloss black. Makes for a professional look...should contrast nicely to the exposed Birch. Bought Scandinavian oil with a Teak proof tint.

Attachments

• cloth in.jpg
    cloth in.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 344
  • lowther ring in black.jpg
    lowther ring in black.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 364
  • dual pair 2.jpg
    dual pair 2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 453
Hey I hope the Alfredos sound good. I see you used the plans I made from the originals. Credit goes to Brian Lafrance of Ontario for the CAD drawing using dinensions and angles I extrapolated. The curved version looks cool. How does it sound? Damping?
Thanks, and credit to you and your colleague for this design.

I have not heard them yet, though my friend wrote a quick update below.

For dampening, 1/4 inch denim material to angled panel in chamber, then first 1/3 of the horn.

Comment from friend:

Set them up last night to ensure everything was working ok. This is how it looks but still work to do with the final locations and finishing touches. They integrate well into the living room as you can see from the picture. I will try them with and without the baffle ring.

Warmed them up as per John’s requirements and listened for 10 minutes or so. They sound very ‘new’ and tight as expected but more importantly no sign of any Lowther shout or honkey mid-range colouration. Actually I couldn’t pick any specific ‘horn’ characteristics. Very solid sound, pin point imaging beyond the speakers straight out of the box and generally a very flat response. The wow for me was how smooth they are. There is no harshness about them at all. I will give them a good run over the next couple of weeks. As mentioned yesterday you are more than welcome to visit and have a listen when you get back. They will have a few hours on them by then.

Hi Atilsley. No doubt you'll have to play with damping....maybe a little more the we did.Those curves act less like a low pass than more abrupt angles do. I have heard that this cabinet is excellent for lowther. The Snindo exampes on line certainly seem to indicate the musicality. I'm still interested to hear what you think.

Atisley, like your technique of CNC layers and dowelling. Nicely put together.

Questions please:

Why do yo need a mounting plate for the Lowthers? Why not fix directly to the baffle?

Is the best driver the 7A?

Any body considered/tried a supertweeter with their Alfredo's.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed with plans/photos etc. It has been an interesting read and a loudspeaker I've got on my list to build in the future. In terms of sound quality how does it compare?

Cheers

Robert

Sorry to dig up an old-ish thread......but after reading the few Alfredo Horn build threads, I'm absolutely hooked!

Would @atilsley by any chance still have the CAD file of it, so I can try to build my own using the same layered approach.

Many thanks.

Billy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.