New TB for 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got an email from TB and they were showing new 2015 models.

Here it is:

1. New full range serie – from 6.5” to 8”
W3-2141
W4-2142
W5-2143
W6-2144
W8-2145

This series has very nice performance full range, we make them in ferrite magnet version, it should be categoried into economic models..

2. More “module” be developed
T1-1828SD – square shape in alum. Cone. Passive radiator in
the backside.
T1-2121SD – rectangle shape design, increase power
handling.

Module = speaker box, which is getting popular in the market, with passive radiator design in a sealed box, it widen application possibility from portable speaker, multimedia to soundbar system. It is a total solution for most of application includes cross-industry application like LED light bulb, furniture….. You only need to focus on designing amplifier functions and ID design of finished products.

3. Micro speaker – we increase its size from 1” to 2”
W1-2121S – high power handling, consistent quality
W2-2136S – good linearity, consistent quality, good low fo.
W2-2181S - – good linearity, consistent quality, good low fo.

Recently, we developed many micro speaker, those are

4. Low distortion Subwoofer - 3” and 6.5”
W3-2108 – thinner basket than W3-2088S0F
W6-2100 -2014 we already had 2” – 8”, but we miss 6.5”, so we add it here.

This series subwoofer have extremely linearity and low distortion characteristic , dual surround and no spider,

Attachments

• clip_image002(12(12-23-18-51-30).jpg
    clip_image002(12(12-23-18-51-30).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,850
The module etc. series hold about as much interest for me as The Only Way is Essex; the others look a trifle more so though. :) Spec. sheets for the W3 - 8 are on TB's site:

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-2141.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-2142.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w5-2143.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-2144.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w8-2145.htm

They look nice enough aesthetically, although personally I don't much like the shiny santoprene roll-surround & I can't imagine it'll do the off-axis response many favours; the published impedance curves on the data sheets suggest that there are some resonance issues from this, probably reflections, although we shall see. I do like the colour of that bamboo derived paper. The phase plug reminds me of tuning dials on 1970s era receivers (I quite like that). Possibly solid extension; be interesting to find out.

On paper the specs. appear reasonable for what they are; W3 has a very low F0 + moderate Q -looks like they're trying to do a Fostex wk style driver with a bit more low-end. Don't like the HF rise -theoretically. That may smooth out off-axis though & TB's graphs have historically needed to be taken with a pinch of salt. Be interesting to see what transpires. W4 much the same -Q's a bit lower though & the top end seems a bit disappointing, but since it goes off the scale, difficult to say. W5 looks promising; nice balance of spec. for a variety of cabinet types, response doesn't look too bad on axis (with aforementioned caveats). The W6 & W8 are interesting, although the whizzer cone on the former looks from the pictures to me like it might blank off part of the main cone off-axis, so might be an issue depending on where the mechanical XO is -from the look of the impedance curve I'd guess about 2.25KHz. All in all, not without interest.

Last edited:
The module etc. series hold about as much interest for me as The Only Way is Essex; the others look a trifle more so though. :) Spec. sheets for the W3 - 8 are on TB's site:

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-2141.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-2142.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w5-2143.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-2144.htm
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w8-2145.htm

They look nice enough aesthetically, although personally I don't much like the shiny santoprene roll-surround & I can't imagine it'll do the off-axis response many favours; the published impedance curves on the data sheets suggest that there are some resonance issues from this, probably reflections, although we shall see. I do like the colour of that bamboo derived paper. The phase plug reminds me of tuning dials on 1970s era receivers (I quite like that). Possibly solid extension; be interesting to find out.

On paper the specs. appear reasonable for what they are; W3 has a very low F0 + moderate Q -looks like they're trying to do a Fostex wk style driver with a bit more low-end. Don't like the HF rise -theoretically. That may smooth out off-axis though & TB's graphs have historically needed to be taken with a pinch of salt. Be interesting to see what transpires. W4 much the same -Q's a bit lower though & the top end seems a bit disappointing, but since it goes off the scale, difficult to say. W5 looks promising; nice balance of spec. for a variety of cabinet types, response doesn't look too bad on axis (with aforementioned caveats). The W6 & W8 are interesting, although the whizzer cone on the former looks from the pictures to me like it might blank off part of the main cone off-axis, so might be an issue depending on where the mechanical XO is -from the look of the impedance curve I'd guess about 2.25KHz. All in all, not without interest.

Hmm, w4-2142 - I'm wondering if this works with BLH or BIB enclosure?

They are an update on the designs with that weird fake copper phase plug.

I think they missed a trick not having a 6" without the wizzer - the 5" wd be great with a bit more xmax

also they don't look like neo magnets but I guess they must be if they say so

edit def ferrite, must be reusing modified spec sheets

Last edited:
I like what TB have done with the plug, I know there's a consensus that any kind of phase plug in a wideband is a bad thing but what the hell, it looks nice. I like the look of the white cone with the silver plug but def not keen on the shiny surround.
Guessing the 4" will be popular as a mid as well as FR, the 5" as a ribbon companion in a 2 way. Both have flat response up top, if the charts are accurate
Its a shame they don't look to have much cone travel, altho maybe the xmax rating is misleading.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
phase plug

I like what TB have done with the plug, I know there's a consensus that any kind of phase plug in a wideband is a bad thing but what the hell, it looks nice. I like the look of the white cone with the silver plug but def not keen on the shiny surround.
Guessing the 4" will be popular as a mid as well as FR, the 5" as a ribbon companion in a 2 way. Both have flat response up top, if the charts are accurate
Its a shame they don't look to have much cone travel, altho maybe the xmax rating is misleading.

Hi Bill,
The phase plug is a very good thing, therefor there is no consensus :)
I use the Tang Band 1772 wide band units in my system. Excellent, if I do say so myself !

xmax = linear operation, but xdamage is a much larger number, and very seldom published.

No such consensus AFAIK. Phase plugs can be beneficial; they can also be detrimental to performance. It depends on the design of the driver. The trouble is that these things become chronically over-simplified, e.g. sweeping claims that they are automatically good or bad. Alas, it doesn't work that way. Would that it did, things would be a lot easier. But it doesn't.

Re Xmax, I wouldn't be too worried since there is no single definition for what it actually is. There are a variety, which typically give different numbers when applied to the same drive unit, and manufacturers rarely state which they actually used, rendering comparisons moot. Essentially, it's just a very rough 1st order approximation / guide to motor linearity, but since those vary significantly you quickly hit the limit of its usefulness there too. Take the 10% THD threshold, which is sometimes used. All very nice -but THD tells you almost nothing useful unless you have the individual HD levels rather than a total / average. Nor does it tell you how the driver behaves above or below that point, whether overload is progressive, sudden, or something different etc. Xmech (mechanical limit) is more useful, but even then, you don't know what will happen from the number: the driver may have progressive rate suspension, no limit at all until the VC bounces off the back-plate, built-in arrestors or something else. YMMV.

My last obscure rant of 2014. ;) See you on the other side! :)

Last edited:
I have bought a pair of W5-2143 drivers and built them into a 120 cm tall enclosure (Big Needle). It's sound is great and precise, I can listen to it for hours. Every little part of sound can be heard. Highly recommend for everyone who like widerange sound and easy projects.

I have bought a pair of W5-2143 drivers and built them into a 120 cm tall enclosure (Big Needle). It's sound is great and precise, I can listen to it for hours. Every little part of sound can be heard. Highly recommend for everyone who like widerange sound and easy projects.

Mot64

I could only find this:
w8-1772 tqwt sketchup | sketchup, tqwt, w81772 | hifi-forum.de Bildergalerie
http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/max/162182/w8-1772-tqwt-sketchup_257898.jpg

Is there more details you could share

TIA.

I also bought a pair (waiting for arrival) of the W5-2143 and plan on building a 14 liter bass reflex ported box, wondering why you chose a taller needle enclosure. Are these transmission line or ported? Did you use any passive filter correction? How is the bass? I was also planning on front port in case I need to position closer to the wall.

Any comments or thoughts , thanks

I also just bought a pair of the W5-2143 and I'm planning on building a TL for them as a Chistmas gift for my sister. I'm also considering something similar to a TABAQ Large, though that may need re-worked due to the larger Vas of the 2143.

Basically I'm looking for whatever enclosure will be smaller when tuned to ~45 Hz. Curious to see what you did, @MOT64. Did you measure the system?

OK now I get it...A needle is a TL...DUH! there is some guidance here in case of no reply...

https://www.loudspeakerbuilding.com...013/February-2013/_Needle_8563,en,900993,4977

Also someone at Partsexpress, review comments for this driver wrote about a correction filter using a 0.33 uf and 7.8 ohm resistor.

Hope for someone to clarify all of this before I begin building Bass reflex boxes and persuade me into building a needle...

cheers!

W5-2143 enclosure

Hi,

This is a horn exactly, not a TL. My friend made computer simulation and he offer me the w5-1611 enclosure, because this box is matching for the W5-2143 according to the simulation. The plan is from this forum, but I post it again. I augmented the bottom of this box with 7 cms, so it is very similar to the Needle. The aperture is in the front and is 7 cms tall and 16 cms wide. I will post pictures later. The stuffing material is about 150-200 g wad.
The bass is deep and the upper bass is also strong and detailed.

Attachments

• w51611hybridhorn_180979.jpg
    w51611hybridhorn_180979.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 731
Hi,

This is a horn exactly, not a TL. My friend made computer simulation and he offer me the w5-1611 enclosure, because this box is matching for the W5-2143 according to the simulation. The plan is from this forum, but I post it again. I augmented the bottom of this box with 7 cms, so it is very similar to the Needle. The aperture is in the front and is 7 cms tall and 16 cms wide. I will post pictures later. The stuffing material is about 150-200 g wad.

Thanks! ...Yes I'd love to see pictures. .On the stuffing what is wad? Where is the stuffing applied...Sorry I have been away from speaker building for a while...

Are you happy with the high frequencies on this driver? If not, my plan is the option to use Dayton AMT mini-8 ribbon ($25 U.S. each), and start experimenting to cross high with a 1.0 ufd Wima Mkp10.

cheers!

Hi,

Cool. Sounds like a fun project. Please post pictures when you get a chance.

Horn or TL is just a word. Sound waves don't care. They simply react to whatever enclosure they are faced with dispassionately. FWIW it's pretty similar to what's been called a BIB for the last 10-15 years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.