New TB for 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK now I get it...A needle is a TL...DUH! there is some guidance here in case of no reply...

The Needle is basically an expanding TL, so historically referred to as a horn or in some circles, a TQWT [TQWP, TQP], but its terminus is restricted by a smaller area [ducted] port to smooth out, extend its LF gain BW, i.e. 'mass loaded', or ML-TQWT using MJK's ~accepted jargon.

If it was a straight taper, then ML-TL [MLTL].

GM

The Needle is basically an expanding TL, so historically referred to as a horn or in some circles, a TQWT [TQWP, TQP], but its terminus is restricted by a smaller area [ducted] port to smooth out, extend its LF gain BW, i.e. 'mass loaded', or ML-TQWT using MJK's ~accepted jargon.

If it was a straight taper, then ML-TL [MLTL].

GM

So I wasn't that far off...Ok, now so what is a Voigt pipe?

:cheers:

cheers...

Enclosure for W5-2143

Hi,

I send pictures about my W5-2143 project. The stuffing material is wadding (cotton). The high frequencies are clear, the full frequency range is all right. Bass is deep and precise, middle is detailed and nice, high frequencies are nice too and no distractions. The stereo is good, the stage is wide. Sorry for my not perfect English, I hope it is undrestandable.

Enclosure for W5-2143

Pictures about W5-2143.

Attachments

• 2015-10-19 18.17.14.jpg
    2015-10-19 18.17.14.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 688
  • 2015-10-19 18.19.52.jpg
    2015-10-19 18.19.52.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 646
  • 2015-10-30 19.20.26.jpg
    2015-10-30 19.20.26.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 599
  • 2015-10-30 19.20.39.jpg
    2015-10-30 19.20.39.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 589
  • 2015-10-30 19.20.53.jpg
    2015-10-30 19.20.53.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 578
Hi,

I send pictures about my W5-2143 project. The stuffing material is wadding (cotton). The high frequencies are clear, the full frequency range is all right. Bass is deep and precise, middle is detailed and nice, high frequencies are nice too and no distractions. The stereo is good, the stage is wide. Sorry for my not perfect English, I hope it is undrestandable.

Great pictures! English is perfectly fine...A couple of more questions if you don't mind..

Are yours using any kind of passive filter or compensating network, or are they connected straight to the amplifier?

About the cotton wadding, was it applied up and down the horn internal wall or only concentrated at the tapered bottom end as shown in the picture

Thanks again..

Ok, now so what is a Voigt pipe?

They were originally variations of offset driver TLs, horns, but over time only the expanding TL/horn was popularized with the BIB being one and Lowther of Norway's and David Weems's mass loaded versions, so a ML-TQWT [ML-Voigt] in MJK's jargon:
Improvements in means for converting electrical energy into sound
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...anyone-have-those-fostex-craft-handbooks.html
Voight pipe enclosures
Tapered Quarter Wave Pipes

GM

W5-2143 biger Needle

Great pictures! English is perfectly fine...A couple of more questions if you don't mind..

Are yours using any kind of passive filter or compensating network, or are they connected straight to the amplifier?

About the cotton wadding, was it applied up and down the horn internal wall or only concentrated at the tapered bottom end as shown in the picture

Thanks again..

There is not any compensation network, the driver is connected straight to the amp. The Zobel network was installed only. (R=8 Ohm, C=1.5 uF)
The wadding is polyethylene fiber, like the coat lining. I suggest you to do experiments with different materials. The wadding is at the tapered bottom, between the driver and the throat. It is recommended to cover the walls at cambers with polyfoam layer.

First Impresion...very favorable. I was surprised at the amount high frequency on this driver (2143). Clear uncongested midrange, flat bass but is all there on the 14.5 liter boxes I built. Then I switched the tone controls on the little Lepai 2020 amp to bass at 3 o'clock and treble to 2 o'clock...much better!. But then I figured, I was listening in my driveway...open air with no walls around. At the end of day I moved the working table with speakers on top into the garage. The bass came to life and it was fairly deep for a 5 in. driver. More to do tomorrow...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.