SB Acoustics SB12PAC25-4 full range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used this driver in a mini monitor and listen to it every day in the workshop. For the money it is very hard to beat, the midrange is excellent. It is not a full range driver, the breakup peak is quite nasty and it has significant sibilance if used full range. My mini monitor started off with a cheap tweeter, but ended up with the Satori tweeter because that little 4" aluminium driver sounded so good when crossed over around 2.2kHz. Incredible value for money if used as a midrange or mini midwoofer and not as a full range.

My mini monitor started off with a cheap tweeter, but ended up with the Satori tweeter because that little 4" aluminium driver sounded so good when crossed over around 2.2kHz. Incredible value for money if used as a midrange or mini midwoofer and not as a full range.

Thanks for detailed comment. How low do you think it can play without any significant distortion considering moderate volume? Can it reach to 80Hz?

It can easily reach 80Hz. I can't remember exactly what I tuned the box to, but I think it was 55Hz bass reflex. It produces a surprisingly good bass for such a small speaker. I think it was around 4L, but it was 2 years ago when I made it, so I can't remember the exact details. It is never turned up very loud in the workshop. Originally I was going to use it with a sub, but never got around to making the sub and there is enough bass for what it was designed for. Troels used this woofer for a small TV speaker with a different tweeter and he agrees with me about the excellent midrange. My mini (or micro whatever you like to call it) monitor is by a mile the best sounding small speaker I have made. Smooth detailed midrange and the Satori tweeter gives it a gloriously clean sounding treble. It seems crazy to spend more than 4 times what the woofer cost on the tweeter, but the other tweeters I tried did not sound right to me, and the Satori will easily handle a low crossover freq. The box is solid wood so it looks great as well. Fitting the crossover into such a small box was a bit of a challenge.

Be careful with that 12kHz peak - as an aluminum cone driver it means this will have a significant ring in the impulse response. This will add shimmer and "air" to the music that is not naturally present. Some may like that. It will also smear sharp transient detail. The CHR70 being an aluminum cone with resonant peaks will not be free of this either.

You might want to look at similar paper cone or fiberglass cone drivers to avoid this peak.
There is no music in that 12Khz range maybe only a lost harmonic from a violin, I happy it will add some air to the music, seems it will be a romantic sound presentation.

But this SB is a great FR driver, the freq chart is one of the best I have seen for hi-fi music, the only prob is the sensitivity is too low, 87dB avoid its use by small tube amps. This driver 4 ohms impedance intend its use in series only to friendly 8 or 16 ohms.

Last edited:
FullRangeMan
Yes the SB 4inch I'm using full range has a paper cone! I have them at work now, listening 8hrs a day. Still sound great, very impressed with these!

Larry

Larry,

Are you using the crossover suggested by SB Acoustics for the B12PFC25-4? I was looking to try and get this into a 3 liter box, but not sure if I can with the crossover components they suggest.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.