Cheap small full range suggestions ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And I was after a full ranger for simplicity :) NO! lowthers tho, a dead end in my experience.
Been through the bespoke/diy Crossovers quest; $$$! later evolved into diy Actives, even more $$$$! Yes! there was improvement but it's Not huge.
Perfection (or at least the quest for) is a seriously demanding Mistress.

Not whining, I fully understand the rationale, only too well, unfortunately.
Been 'at this' albeit sporadically, since '70... that's frightening.
Thanks for the link by the way, I'll likely buy a pair.
Erm what is a uFonkenWK.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Erm what is a uFonkenWK.

A very nice box for the Fostex FF85wk. Small & rectangular.

They only differ in exact venting detail from the original uFonken

239019d1315420505-minionken-fonken-picture-gallery-ufonken-macassarebony.jpg

There is also the larger, trapezoidal uFonkenSET (SET = Special Edition Trapezoid)

uFonkenSET-4x-comp.jpg

dave

Ahh thank you.
Seems my eventually arriving CHP 70.2 drivers can (?) be inserted into a wide variety of Enclosures.
Would like to try a pair of TL Mini towers .. One day.
These Are suitable/multi possibility drivers then ?
If so, then your recomendations were V well considered.

Ahh thank you.
Seems my eventually arriving CHP 70.2 drivers can (?) be inserted into a wide variety of Enclosures.
Would like to try a pair of TL Mini towers .. One day.
These Are suitable/multi possibility drivers then ?
If so, then your recomendations were V well considered.

when choosing an enclosure design and construction details for this particular driver, I'd advise leaving room to accommodate a small tweeter - you might not feel the need, but then again ....

Dave, et al:

for the ERT26 mentioned earlier as a very affordable tweet for the CHP70.2, does a "simple" 1st order at say, 6-8kHz (C=3 - 4mF) make sense?

Last edited:
Wee tweets ordered .. regardless of IF I will need them.
Still 'concerned' that a 3" driver will meet expectations,, sure is Teeny Tiny.
My current speakers have 15" cones... their HF units have ~3" compression diaphragms.

Leap of faith here..You guys can't All be wrong ? ;)
Worst case, I suppose one could mount them to a Motorcycle helmet as "Ozarks" style headphones
Nothing to do now but try and see.

Last edited:
Yess !
Isn't it of ~3" cone size? I had naively assumed it was.
Just looked at the specs 3" just to see If I erred..Seems 3" IS a generous measure of the actual operating / making sounds cone.
Happily, My eyesight isn't that far gone ;)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yess !
Isn't it of ~3" cone size? I had naively assumed it was.
Apparently incorrectly ? it would seem so by your reaction.
Great then! bigger is better

It is a nominal 4" driver. If we called it a 3" then we'd have to call your 15" Tannoys, 12" drivers.

Here is the CHP70.2 next to a 3" FF85wK

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• chp-v-ff85.jpg
    chp-v-ff85.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 558
OK.. on viewing the published diagrams with care, CHP 70 has a TWO inch actual cone.
Gets even more impressive if one pays close attentions .
Arguable if the suspension contributes much, as these are usually designed not to add garbled output.
Unlikely if this unit is unique in this.
Hey! I bought 'em. Sure seem seriously Teeny Tiny though, is All.

Last edited:
The 70 in CHP70 indicates a nominal 70mm cone. A micrometer acoss the cone comes out to just a tad over 73mm = 2.874"

dave

Bare - this is nominally the same size as cone in EL70 - which is by no means a TeenyTiny sounding driver - as you'd be able to experience if you took that boat ride in 3 weeks. Of course Bob at CSS is much closer than that, and he may still have a demo pair kicking around or audition.

All Ok.. Now, minor Panic Attack over :)
Again, Not Complaining, just observing. Also bought a pair of the erm 'cheap $12 ' Vifa 4'' teeny drivers. Glutton for punishment.
A you said Hearing is believing.. and ALL you guys can't be wrong .. I hope.

Realised that my Tannoys' crossover at 1000hz to their 3" diam HF drivers, albeit in a double (arguably triple) array of expo horns.
Which then leads me to wonder Why? None, of my as of yet, admittedly small sampling of bespoke horn enclosures for these Teeny drivers do not feature Expo horns??
The concept is decades proven effective. Doesn't it work in these or just too hard to build decently ?
Next design advance for full rangers ?
Take a peek at what a Tannoy GRF looks like.. and Why I had a panic attack at the full realisation that I had purchased Headphone drivers on steriods :).
Tannoy Monitor Gold
Approx 3 years a go a friend spent large for astate of the art home theater/Audio room setup.. $125k! Large. Not pocket money.
Comprising 3 pairs! of the large Martin Logans, 2 Velodyne subs and 4 amps. Plus the mandatory entire wall video screen nonsense
Realism of the sound is nothing short of astonishing.. Dohh!
Video ? same crap that I see on my pedestrian Sony. Who cares :)
Makes my audio setup sound like a Philips Stereo console from the mid 60's..in comparison. Sad but true.
Surprisingly he hasn't entered that room for over a year.
Clearly, wanting is far more enticing than having.

Last edited:
Wall mounted transmissionline with Visation BG 17

Hi Bare,

Regardless of having posted the following even in the Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery this could be inspiring for you as well.

I´d like to show a cheap, quick and dirty project: a wall mounted transmissionline with the full range driver Visaton BG 17. Ok, some may say this driver is not sufficient for hifi but suits better for guitar amps. Anyway, you´ll never know if you dont´t try, won´t you?!

wall+tml+1.jpg

The aim was to develop a cheap box that matches with single ended triodes. Furthermore it had to be lightweighted and flat enough for wall mounting. The following sketch shows the sizes of the walls (all sizes in cm). The width of the side walls is 10 cm, the thickness of all walls 1.6 cm (I used simple spruce).

Plan+BG+17.jpg

After some experimentation with the damping I figured out the best solution in order to prevent mids coming out of the line. I started as shown on the top of the following pic...

wall+tml+2.jpg

wall+tml+3.jpg

wall+tml+4.jpg

I am no fan of filter networks, notch filters and all that stuff so I left it out. Filters bend & disturb phase and impedance - not recommendable if you intend to use triodes. The frequency response of the Visaton BG 17 is relatively linear - linear enough for me as I did not intend to create mega high end with this project!

D.jpg

Visaton+BG+17.jpg

Visaton BG 17 with an efficiency of 93 dB @ 2.83 V.

vor+chassiseinbau.jpg

In the end this project costs around 50-60 bucks in total.
If you are interested in further information just have a look to my blog. It´s in German but you may use the translation tool of your browser.

2A3 Maniac: Cheap, quick and dirty: Visaton BG 17 DIY-Wall-Transmissionline
2A3 Maniac: Follow-up: Visaton BG 17 DIY-Wall-Transmissionline
2A3 Maniac: DIY-Wall-Transmissionline mit Visaton BG 17 - Follow-up II: die Bedämpfung

Cheers,
Carsten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.