Cheap small full range suggestions ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PS:
OK looked at the Vifa I'm Liking the $12 price.
Also at the CPH 70.2.. Bit concerned that it's clearly one of those drivers that masquerades as a Much larger unit.. when it Isn't.
Seems it's actually a 3" cone in there behind all the housing bits.
I'm familiar with my 15" drivers, which in real life respond better than my headphones' 30 mm coils manage. This teeny cone isn't a problem??
IS it worth 5X ! More than the Vifa.. really?

Unlikely there will be anyone getting water/food yuck or wine on the cones.. And if they do I will buy replacements :)

Frankly not keen on buying Chinese mfg Drivers. Spare me the abuse.. please :)
As small rationale:
I buy Chinese tech product almost weekly, for over a decade, consequently I've aquired deep skepticism of their mfg quality.
Indeed, they have in recent years focused on impressive cosmetic capability..at the expense of all else.
IMO their metallurgy is simply third rate. Thailand does better.. true.
Also if you might? I have no prior knowledge of what those other offhand (unlinked) references to specific drivers mean.
Newby here :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Also at the CPH 70.2.. Bit concerned that it's clearly one of those drivers that masquerades as a Much larger unit.. when it Isn't.
Seems it's actually a 3" cone in there behind all the housing bits.

It is a 4". 4" drivers have ~3" cones. You have to have room for frame and surround. The Mark Audio drivers do have a bigger bezel then most 4" drivers.

Frankly not keen on buying Chinese mfg Drivers.

You won't find many cheap ones that aren't -- Malaysia & India don't have any contenders yet, there are some from Taiwan. Europe has the Scan 10F, but is it expensive, very expensive. SEAS has yet to make a budget FR too. Do note that Mark Audio is an ex-pat Brit, and has been known to take a hammer to entire runs he felt were not satisfactory, and he has the best metalirgy of any FR manufacturer . Fostex is the premium brand of Foster (one of the largest manyfacturere in the world), and they bring Japanese attention to detail to their Chinese factories. Similarily the Vifa you mention brings Euro talent to their Chinese factories. No Canadian FR driver manufacturers Eminence & Misco is the US (you could get a sey of Betsy, but they need a big box -- or OB).

It is a mistake to lump all manufacturers together, The good ones bring expertise from all other the world. There is Chinese made crap for sure, but then you can say that of most countries.

You are just across the straight, VI diyFEST is less than a month away, come on over. it will give you a chance to hear a lor of the stuff being talked about.

dave

Why not do top corner mounting? Either a triangle board mounted perpendicular to a diagonal to the corner, or a board put in the angle between wall and ceiling, where the mouth terminates in the corner. You'd get cornerloading and get the speakers out of the way.
With regards to the driver, I'd choose something with a poly cone. Even if you have really good ventilation you'll still get a buildup over couble of years. Poly cones vibe off with some care and they don't absorb anything.
Also don't use a driver over 4, otherwise you are going to get lacking HF in parts of the kitchen.
Better to chose a driver with high Qts in this case.

I don't think you're going to find many full range drivers that aren't made in China. That doesn't mean they are low quality.
jeff

Point Taken ... I have No experiences in this area.
I'm suspecting all here are aiming /working hard towards an impressive standard.
My need is erm... simple (pedestrian?) by comparison.

Just How? cheap can one reasonably go and still have 'pretty good' result?
Being frugal, beyond reason. Most for least, is the challenge :)
Still liking those $12 Vifa's :eek: (see above rationale.. not immune to logic/facts though).
Do these give Decent result in real life?
And is a suitable enclosure ..Only as a starting guess/size reference: 12" x 6" x 12".. OR?

Last edited:
FF85

I have an idea. I bet some know what it is :cheeky:

Attachments

• FF85.JPG
    FF85.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 349
Thank you.. will order a pair then. I can't resist a bargain.
Unless I trip over a better choice v soon :rolleyes:
Did read some references to the benefits of a wee added tweeter .
Real or imagined need?
Also I would like 'passable' bass. No illusions of Taiko drums though.
Tough to fit a drum in a 3" cone... Starbucks Coffee cup Rim size .. but?
Ergo the initial thoughts of using a TL or other bass enhancing techniques

Remember those horrid Bose gizmos of the early 70's?
A box full of 3" drivers Bouncing their sounds against a wall, as their revolutionary design claim.
Turns out it ..Had.. to be a reinforced concrete wall... kinda Rare in most homes.
Regardless it was still a mediocre result when experienced erm.. sober.
PT Barnum would have smiled.

Sorry to be a pain here..
Still pedalling hard trying to get up to speed .. unlikely any time soon, as there is a LOT (years) of info scattered about. Trying nonetheless.

Thank you.. will order a pair then. I can't resist a bargain.
Unless I trip over a better choice v soon :rolleyes:
Did read some references to the benefits of a wee added tweeter .
Real or imagined need?
Also I would like 'passable' bass. No illusions of Taiko drums though.
Tough to fit a drum in a 3" cone... Starbucks Coffee cup Rim size .. but?
Ergo the initial thoughts of using a TL or other bass enhancing techniques

A box full of 3" drivers Bouncing their sounds against a wall, as their revolutionary design claim.
Turns out it ..Had.. to be a reinforced concrete wall... kinda Rare in most homes.

Sorry to be a pain here..
Still pedalling hard trying to get up to speed .. unlikely any time soon, as there is a LOT (years) of info scattered about. Trying nonetheless.

I think that in the appropriate cabinets, you'll be happy with the bass, especially for something like kitchen use. Dave from Planet 10 has some great plans available. As I mentioned earlier, I built the Slim Classic GR on frugal-phile.com. One word of advice; give them the break-in time suggested.
Mike

You can still buy those horrid gizmos, seriously.:eek:

jeff

The Bose 901's where actually a lot better than their rumor. There just took to the extreme what all speakers to some (usually large) extent have to take into account: The room they are in.
Placed right, in the right room, they actually sound very good.
The stereoimage is not accurate to the recording like one single fullranger in the sweetspot, but then that's also only for one or two persons and does not allow moving around.
In a way the 901's are the fullrange worlds antithesis to a pair of single large FR's or a pair of Quads.

The Bose 901's where actually a lot better than their rumor. There just took to the extreme what all speakers to some (usually large) extent have to take into account: The room they are in.
Placed right, in the right room, they actually sound very good.
The stereoimage is not accurate to the recording like one single fullranger in the sweetspot, but then that's also only for one or two persons and does not allow moving around.
In a way the 901's are the fullrange worlds antithesis to a pair of single large FR's or a pair of Quads.

let's agree right now not to hijack this thread in any discussion of the 901

please -

Yess.. Sorry gentlemen, the...Bose Babble.. was My fault.

Currently awaiting driver deliveries.
As correctly said; a wee tweeter can always be added.. if.. necessary.
Not todays' problem in any event.
Starting /planning the Box build now that Drivers are decided.
Lots to choose from.. more guessing :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind going the the Findlayson Road DIY fest
Thank you.. for the invite.. I did read it.

Frustratingly, the pesky Ferry fares exceed $125/return and it's realistically a 3 hour lineup/sailing time to boot ..each way.
That's another ~$150 I could spend on Drivers etc instead... to be honest. Needs more thought.

I haven't heard them but a few have commented that they need a tweeter - others disagree. You could always try them and add a tweeter later if you like but that would add cost obviously.

if Bob still has any stock at the promo price o0f $18/pr, the little ERT26 would be a logical choice

Creative Sound - Product Details

I could be all wet, but from my recollection of listening to the CHP70.2, its "soft" top end was benign enough that a simple HP on whatever tweeter one might choose could be sufficient . Someone may have already modeled or built such a 2-way, but we've never made time to play with that. There are just way too many potential projects that it's kinda like herding cats- something with which Dave is all too familiar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.