Any Fostex FE167En smallish Cabinet recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’d be inclined to suggest something smaller for a very nearfield - from the current Fostex line, something like the FF105WK. I’ve been using 85WKs with a Topping Class D amp on my home computer desktop for at least 5 years, and while they’re not THX certified monsters, they work just fine for what they are.

I’d be inclined to suggest something smaller for a very nearfield - from the current Fostex line, something like the FF105WK. I’ve been using 85WKs with a Topping Class D amp on my home computer desktop for at least 5 years, and while they’re not THX certified monsters, they work just fine for what they are.

Thanks for the advice!
And from other companies?Visaton, Monacor ?
What enclosure do you have them in?
And finally,should I stay to the full range or maybe a tow way ?
Always for the desktop now.

FWIW, I think a desktop nearfield system is an almost perfect scenario for a single driver system. I mentioned the specific WK models in keeping with the Fostex theme of this thread, but yeah, there are several other flavours on the menu, and MA such as Alpair7, Pluvia7 or Alpair6P would be near the top of my own short list. We are now blessed(?) with truly an embarrassment of riches from which to chose in this category- certainly compared to when I first dipped my toe in the pool - beware analysis paralysis.

Probably worth asking where you’re located - not all brands on the short list likely to be recommended share the same global distribution networks, and exchange rates and the vagaries of international shipping, local taxes etc can deliver surprises as to the final landed cost.

That said, I’ll repeat my earlier opinion that a small desktop system is one of the areas where a single driver in compact enclosure can excel. Few of us posting here will have heard every possible brand, and most have our own short list of favourites- for me those happen to be certain Mark Audio and Fostex.

Release the Kraken!

Here’s a photo of MarKens referred to above

Attachments

• F8CB0863-272D-42F0-8B64-0EF7254DB47B.jpeg
    F8CB0863-272D-42F0-8B64-0EF7254DB47B.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The MarKens to which Jeff alluded would be found here:
Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio

That has the Classic Golden Ratio version of Jeff’s dMar-Ken7.3. The more exotic rectangular and trapezoidal as well as the compact floor standers, are part of a much larger paid planset.

[/quote[ not all of which I think any one person built. I came close, but not all. Dave devised a general topology that allowed for fine tuning per driver by adjusting net volume and slotted port dimensions.[/QUOTE]

Chris has built a large number of miniOnkens, but really only a fraction of the large number of them … who knew, when Chris named the 1st FE127 unit a Fonken, that there would be 100+ designs based on the same theme and alignment.

dave

Probably worth asking where you’re located - not all brands on the short list likely to be recommended share the same global distribution networks, and exchange rates and the vagaries of international shipping, local taxes etc can deliver surprises as to the final landed cost.

That said, I’ll repeat my earlier opinion that a small desktop system is one of the areas where a single driver in compact enclosure can excel. Few of us posting here will have heard every possible brand, and most have our own short list of favourites- for me those happen to be certain Mark Audio and Fostex.

Release the Kraken!

Here’s a photo of MarKens referred to above
Thank you a lot for your time to answer .
Here I can buy visaton, monacor ,anything from thomann, I was thinking soundimport site .I don't know if I can find mark audio ,jordan ...
I assume that seas and scanskpeak it's easy to find too.I don't know for sure.
Anyway I was asking at my 1st post about the 167 for desktop audio...and I don't know what to choose yet. FR , 2 way ,how many inch...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.