Auratone 5C Clone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sealed-9L-A102-2.jpg

The sealed A10.2eN.

Interestingly, there is an FE127e (2000-2005 vintage) basket sitting on top of the far speaker.

dave

IIRC they went through several different drivers. I'm pretty sure it was a CTS full range originally, or at least during one phase. The Pioneer FR may have been used later on, I remember something about that.

IMO the Fostex driver is too good. The point of these was to check a mix for good sound on cheap car radios, TV, clock radio, and that sort of thing. Any cheap highish Qts full range stuck in a sealed box should perform the same task if that's what you're after.

There was a fair amount of discussion about these on the newsgroup rec.audio.pro a couple decades back, if anyone cares to research it.

What does a Auratone 5C sound like?
I heard it was a Pioneer 4.5" driver but its not made anymore.
What driver is a good replacement?

This was a recording studio speaker that is suppose to suck but sound like common car stereos and ghetto blasters of the time.

The one and only driver for this in the uk is the incredible cheap L69AW from Maplin
50W 5in Shielded Bass Mid Range Speaker | Maplin

Measurements of the final box are equal to the auratone ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.