Small 2" drivers in BIB design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum so be gentle. :shy:

Some years ago i got to listen my friends cyburgs needles and was absolutely amazed. Then i build pair of them for myself.

Now i've been thinking about building some smaller speakers that you can put on your desk beside your computers monitor or TV.

I've made this one sketch about Tang Band W2-803SM in small BIB-style box.
(See the attachment for picture.)
I just input the speaker data into Zillaspeaks calculator and used Google SketchUp to visualize the design.

I haven't found any cabinet designs for this speaker and i'm just a newbie in speaker design.

So could this design be any good?
Has anyone tested these W2-803SM speakers in any kind of box?
If this has some potential i might order a pair of these and find out how they sound.

Attachments

• TB_2inch_design_BIB.jpg
    TB_2inch_design_BIB.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 639
They will be cute! Put em up on a stand so the driver is at a good height?
The internal width may be a bit narrow for the driver , although I don't know for sure and the whole thing at less than 3" wide? It will need a wider base so it doesn't fall over too easy.

Great idea! I've been messing around with the little tang band too, albeit in a different app. Very very decent and surprisingly smooth driver for the $$$.

You could flip the speaker over so it vents to the bottom; build it longer then make cut-outs to form the legs. You can also cut the back at an angle as GM suggested (somewhere in the original BIB thread), so that it won't be too tall/tippy for the desktop. Or even shape it like a Karlson opening.

I made some measurements and found out that distance from the center of speaker cutout to that angled piece of wood (what would you call that?) is ~290mm and W2-803SM is 345mm deep.

So either i need to change the design or use double/thicker front.

I'm also thinking what Ultrakaz said about flipping it so that the vent is at the bottom.
Then if i move the placement of the speaker cutout up it looks like miniature needle :)

Attachments

• TB_2inch_design_BIB_flipped.jpg
    TB_2inch_design_BIB_flipped.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 486
I made some measurements and found out that distance from the center of speaker cutout to that angled piece of wood (what would you call that?) is ~290mm and W2-803SM is 345mm deep.

So either i need to change the design or use double/thicker front.

I'm also thinking what Ultrakaz said about flipping it so that the vent is at the bottom.
Then if i move the placement of the speaker cutout up it looks like miniature needle :)

I am really confused about the dimensions now. 345mm is 13.3 inches (roughly). That is one big 2" driver!

driver position

Hi,

The driver needs to be at a specific position for best results. Calculated Zdriver from the BIB spreadsheet (cell B16) uses a factor of 0.217 of line length. An alternative position of 0.416 was suggested by Scottmoose in the large BIB thread. That will put the driver closer to the top of the cabinet on an inverted BIB.

What I haven't been able to determine is the effect of having the driver in the open space at the fold (i.e., higher than the internal baffle in an inverted BIB, as shown in Gugi's last image). That might behave differently than when the driver is in the narrowing section.

I've been planning to try something similar with the Peerless 830970, so interested in the results of this attempt.

bearberry

im not using the drivers you mention, but i am using the W2-800SL which is a similar driver i believe. yours has either silver poly cone or paper i cant remember.

so without looking at the TB site, i would guess the Fs at least to be similar to the driver i have. similarly id expect the power rating to be similar. these things seem to be pretty good for mid to high frequency, but fullrange...ive seen designs with similar drivers hornloaded which may produce bass, but im not sure about my drivers, or yours. fullrange the W2-800SL's only take about 5watts before they start sounding nasty, more than that and it gets ugly. if i HP with 150uF+ all is well. they sound great for their size, very smooth and natural sounding, not PC speaker-like at all, but no bass to speak of.

heres my little experiment with the W2-800SL :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:D S.P.C.T.Q.W.T.: squished pringle can TQWL

also ive found these drivers take a very long time to run in, the first Fs i took from the W2-800SL's was about 187Hz rather than the quoted 160. ive run them in with about 100hrs or low level(due to the xmax) 20hz sine wave, but the Fs didnt really change alot, maybe 3 or 4 hz lower. still running them in at the moment, with a small woofer in the box below the pringle can.... ;), just on the stereo instead! after maybe 50hours the initial harder 'new' sound faded and theyre very good to listen to indeed. albeit limited to midrange and tweeter duties in my case. the higher Qts of your driver helps a little with the BiB i think, the Q of the 800SL is the downside.

i dont wish to discourage you at all, my experience with the Tangband 2" drivers ive used is they sound brilliant, better than some tweeters ive (still) got by MILES and good midrange too. Fullrange with a single driver per box is a tall order i think, even in the nearfield.

If your Bib goes low enough, id run around 150-300hz HP and add a small sub to fill in .

Last edited:
I don't know how flexible the BIB design is about the placement of the driver.
There just isn't enough depth to install the driver in the zdriver spot.
The only way is to flip it and install the driver like in the needle. But then it's not BIB anymore...

Here is the latest render. This time centimeter is 10mm and not 100mm like the last time.
Wood thickness is 12mm as that is the most common thickness here.
I also added a hole to the divider panel for the magnet of the driver.
The magnet just barely goes through the divider panel.

I think i'll order a couple of these drivers (2 or 4 i haven't decided yet as they are 21euro/piece here) and test them first with some cardboard boxes. If i take 4 of them then there is also a chance to try small line array.

Attachments

• TB_2inch_design_BIB_corrected.jpg
    TB_2inch_design_BIB_corrected.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 220
I don't know how flexible the BIB design is about the placement of the driver.
There just isn't enough depth to install the driver in the zdriver spot.
The only way is to flip it and install the driver like in the needle. But then it's not BIB anymore...

The zdriver for an inverted BIB is stated in post 10. Yes it will fit and yes, it is still a BIB.
I would go with this placement and either figure out how to make some legs or have it exit out the back instead of the bottom.

Placed the order for 2 drivers and some accessories.
They'll be here maybe someday next week.

I think it'll be easy to experiment different kinds on cabinets with these because you don't have to use lot of wood for experiments. Maybe just cardboard although it might be little too wobbly.

Not expecting concrete shattering bass. But if you can squeeze 80hz out of these somewhat audibly, i'm pleased.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.