would fe206esr work in fe208e sigma enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By the way, appreciate if you can clarify the differences between this 3 types of attenuators from Fostex:

https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/att.pdf

For what I understood, R80B and R82B are the same, the difference is that R80B can handle more power.

More or less. Fostex do not always provide a great deal of information about their products.

What about the R100T? It can attenuate less dBs, but more precisely? and have a transformer inside will provide a better sound quality?

It's the nominally high-end attenuator. Some prefer transformers to resistors; technically it should be a superior adjustable solution but whether that translates into superior real world performance is open to question. Given the significant extra cost and the fact that it's only operating on a supertweeter (where human hearing acuity isn't particularly good) I wouldn't bother myself.

It's the nominally high-end attenuator. Some prefer transformers to resistors; technically it should be a superior adjustable solution but whether that translates into superior real world performance is open to question. Given the significant extra cost and the fact that it's only operating on a supertweeter (where human hearing acuity isn't particularly good) I wouldn't bother myself.

FWIW, etc., IME such subtle improvements are lost on all but folks with either perfect pitch and/or at least have lived a life in low ambient noise areas. Had a relative that grew up in rural South Ga. visit me in the late '60s [Atlanta fringe near a freeway, malls, etc.] and his hearing was so keen he had to wear my wife's winter earmuffs after our Cocker Spaniel's toenails clicking on the kitchen's slate floor, quote: "drove ten penny nails through his head".

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Requirement for sub(s) would be very much dependent on room size/speaker location and program material. Vital? - maybe not, but I've yet to heard a single driver/FR system that didn't benefit from highpass filtering - whether passive line level or "active" - and separately powered bass support.

Something like the basszilla is a proven design w FE208e∑ that adds woofers and tweeters.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... is better crossover without the Lpad solution? and just try the Lpad

A single R in series works, but the filter would need adjustment for each R change. The other solution is 2 Rs in series with one end of the Tweeter. This is just an L-Pad with fixed Rs — one of the ways to figure out what size Rs, is to use a variable L-Pad and when right, measure the Rs on each leg.

And too confuse you even more let me throw this out… a thot experiment i do not know if anyone has tried yet.

attachment.php

The topology applies to the drivers you plan to use.

dave

Attachments

• FE207-FT17-XO-top.gif
    FE207-FT17-XO-top.gif
    3 KB · Views: 118
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.