Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That reads sad. But still sounds great!:D

I am sure it does, until you push more than 6 watts out of it. I have a bedroom system with a similar amp and it is perfectly sufficient. Even excellent. But push it too far and it falls apart completely (note, this can be very bad for your drivers, especially delicate ones).

If you want more power for the same price, I highly recommend the Sure Electronics 2x100w amps (ebay) based on TC2000 and STA508 (successor to TK2050). 50 clean* watts into 4 ohms, 35w clean into 8 ohms. You can get the board and a good P/S for $68.

* < 0.01% THD

Last edited:
I am sure it does, until you push more than 6 watts out of it. I have a bedroom system with a similar amp and it is perfectly sufficient. Even excellent. But push it too far and it falls apart completely (note, this can be very bad for your drivers, especially delicate ones).

If you want more power for the same price, I highly recommend the Sure Electronics 2x100w amps (ebay) based on TC2000 and STA508 (successor to TK2050). 50 clean* watts into 4 ohms, 35w clean into 8 ohms. You can get the board and a good P/S for $68.

* < 0.01% THD

Thanks for the hint, will look into it in the fall if it really gets too weak.
Some people change the power supply they got with their toppings and claim they acchieve a much better quality. I have good 12-14ADC supplies at work and could get one.
Any logic (or experience) behind that?

Hi guys:)
I'm still enjoying my speakers, but looking into a more capable amp:) Yes, as some of you suggested:p
I wanted to share something for everyone who has trouble getting the thick cotton felt: the same damn thing is used inside ordinary washing mashines. So, here you go. Replace you old machine and rip it out or find a store with spare parts for home appliances. They should have it at fair prices, I guess.

Have fun!

* < 0.01% THD

2 x 100 Watt 4 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board STA508 100W Stereo T Amp | eBay - this one ok? How bad is the fan?
The power supply and case shouldn't be a problem for me. I just don't quite know how to do the volume cotrol.

I've found these near SET like TPA 3116 amps ( pictured on each end ) to be an excellent and inexpensive options for the FH's. Plenty of power for any of the drivers and under $20. The $45 6n3 tube preamp in the middle offers nice tube warmth with these amps.

xP3050026.JPG

PG: out or curiosity, exactly which TP3116 are those? Look likes pre-fab to me- which is exactly what I did- as with Bob, i no longer have the patience to fully DIY an amp.

I can't zoom the photo large enough to distinguish any markings

Sorry the picture came out so small.

Those are just the pre-fab boards mounted in drawer dividers. One is a blue/black board and the other is the integrated red board. Both are from ebay.

Huge threads are popping up everywhere on the TPA3116/3110 boards. I got a little nutty over them and also have the audiobah green board and the excellent Sure 3110 ( $9 from P.E. ). Even the little $9 Sure drives the FH with great aplomb.

I've got several of what I thought were nice sounding t-amps but I like the TPA's much better.

Hello Peroz,

A gain clone made as per a Gaincard will give you an austere and clinical sound. A Gainclone with a large power supply will give you a big fat warm and rounded sound.

Try Mick Feuerbacher's site: Mick Feuerbacher Audio Projects it's reely grate!

Cheers - Jim

Thanks for your input, but it looks like a bit too much DIYing for me.

Sorry the picture came out so small.

Those are just the pre-fab boards mounted in drawer dividers. One is a blue/black board and the other is the integrated red board. Both are from ebay.

Huge threads are popping up everywhere on the TPA3116/3110 boards. I got a little nutty over them and also have the audiobah green board and the excellent Sure 3110 ( $9 from P.E. ). Even the little $9 Sure drives the FH with great aplomb.

I've got several of what I thought were nice sounding t-amps but I like the TPA's much better.

Which yould you say sounds better? The red or the blue one? Or are they all just the same?:)
I notice the red one has some volume control, and the blue one doesn't. But it is ok if I hook it up to a preamp that you mentioned, right?
Preamps are one area I haven't yet been to, so I have to google what they actually do and how to use them. If I'm right, it then goes like this:
- phone/tablet/raspifi > DAC > preamp > amp > speakers and I get a bit better sound and a kickass tube look?

Last edited:
Both the blue/black and red board are winners. A tube preamp makes them shine so I guess for that reason I prefer the blue/black as it has no volume control.

The green board from audiobah is a little more expensive but it would be my first choice as it has the mute on/off circuit which is helpful if you have the FE126en FH.

I use 12V 6A power bricks from Amazon which cost around $7.

I just finished up my FH with a little mahogany veneer. I am happy with everything but the feet design.

I made some feet using vertical grain doug fir to add some contrast. But I really don't think I like them.

So i need some advice...do I scrape them, paint them black, change the shape?

help me decide.
Thanks,

dc0f62eeb09c9330a8ec1c46c180870c_zpsbe3094b3.jpg

57f31b10199207ecae42ec0eac2a13ec_zpsebc95a57.jpg