Avoid playing Sony/BMG discs on your computer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The bad thing is that only legal CD buyers are affected. The ones that purchase CD's get the crap of this sort of copy protection and other DRM junk while the ones that download MP3's don't have a problem.

I've head at least 10 (original) cd's that don't even play in the car (Audi concerto II unit)

With this new development the screwing of your regular paying customers is taken to a new high.:mad:

Quote from Grocklaw post.

Sony Rootkits - get them while they last
Authored by: Anonymous on Sunday, November 06 2005 @ 04:57 PM EST
I'm sure most of you have read about Sony's Rootkit. For those of you who haven't. I make this post.

(For probably a limited time), Sony is selling Windows rootkits for 14.95 and as a bonus offer, they are throwing in some music to listen to by 20 different artists.

This is the best rootkits available to date by a major reputable software vendor. ANAL, but it appears the EULA allows you to install the rootkit on as many supported Windows computers as you please. It is not limited to personal use either. You can install it on your company's network and your friends' computers.

For those of you who are not aware of the benefits of having a rootkit, I'll gladly explain. A primary advantage is you can quite effectively hide about as many files, programs and directories as you please. Even the best of administrators will not easily know what is on the system. Or for that matter what is running on the system.

Moreover, you can install the rootkit and Sony provides you with great deniability protection. You can say, "I had no idea I was installing a rootkit. I was just listening to music. I even read the license agreement for the media player and the Digital Restrictions Management. There wasn't even a
hint about a rootkit."

To make matters even better, Sony puts obstacles in people's way who may want to remove your rootkit. Their website requires people who want to remove your rootkit to go through a lot of hoops. Also, they have to give up personal information and explain why they want to remove your rootkit.

Even if all they want to do is expose the hidden files, they run into obstacles. For one thing, the 'get permission' form at Sony's website has four required fields. On one of the required fields, the person has to state the name of the Album. If you don't leave the CD in the tray, no one will know the name of the album.

Moreover, you put the person in a position of having to bald faced lie to Sony on another other required form field. This one asks from what store you bought the rootkit from. Due to the fact that they didn't buy the rootkit, they will have to LIE to Sony.

The penalty for not lying to Sony about where they bought the rootkit is: They can't get past the form to get the information to remove the rootkit. Or for that matter, even get the 'service pack' to expose the hidden files and directories.

Although the rootkit could be a security risk, the blame won't (shouldn't) fall on you. You have Sony (who knows a lot more than you), stating that it is not a security risk.

Dated: November 6, 2006

------------------

Normally I don't date posts. The information I posted on this date is accurate as far as I know, but IMO is subject to changes in the immediate future, because a lot of people don't like Sony's rootkits. Therefore, Sony may have to approach things differently in the very near future.

Funny, Just had a nightmare that all the blooks in my dept had installed a rootkit and are playing command and conquer games al day and the admin wouldn't know or could find out.

If these rootkits are spreading like Sony intended than it might be just a matter of time before Large companies are taking on Sony for a legal fight:devilr:

indoubt said:
If these rootkits are spreading like Sony intended than it might be just a matter of time before Large companies are taking on Sony for a legal fight:devilr:

Funny you should mention that:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27508

I'm in the market for an HDTV, but Sony disqualified themselves with this stunt. To **** with them. If they don't trust me, why should they trust my money: they're not getting a penny more from me.

I've found this on foxnews.com

"quote"
Rootkit technology is well established and not, in itself, malicious, said Mathew Gilliat-Smith, CEO of First 4 Internet.

"Rootkit detection programs have made rootkits more high-profile in the media, but this technology has been around for a long time and is used widely by anti-virus and other information security companies," he said.

That said, First 4's technology isn't a rootkit, but part of a copy protection system designed to balance security and ease of use for the CD buyer, he said.

Sony BMG began using a version of First 4 technology called XCP (search) in March 2005, he said.
"quote end"

You can't be too sure of what he's telling of course (after what they did) but it looks like march 2005

Well,

I've played one of those (natasja beddingfield) on my computer and I'm almost certain to be infected.

I've had to install all microsoft applications last month twice and my system is still unstable.

I'm completely p*ssed off because I'm purchasing all my CD's in regular stores (no downloading mp3's) and as a thank you I get screwed to the max:mad:

I will not purchase anything from Sony anymore (equipment)
I will not purchase any CD's from Sony/BMG

Anybody can inform me how to get high quality content of the web, preferably CD quality but at least good quality (legal services is ok, as long as sony/bmg do not benefit)

I will be long hours behind the screen fixing this one:bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.