Avoid playing Sony/BMG discs on your computer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This really makes me angry.

Well, Sony has lost a paying CD customer here. I can't risk some underhanded scheme like this messing up something as critical to me as my computer. They really have no shame, do they?

Having said that, I may still consider the purchase of SACDs, since those never get played in my computer.

This has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'll give much more weight to the competition's electronics products if I buy anything new. The only reason I'd consider the Sony product is if it's so superior to the competitior's product that there is, in effect, no other choice.

I think Sony will suffer for this - nobody actually NEEDS anything Sony sells and I urge consumers to look elsewhere first for whatever they want drop money on. They certainly have little regard for us and we should pay the favor back in kind.

Best,
KT

indoubt said:
..snip...

Anybody can inform me how to get high quality content of the web, preferably CD quality but at least good quality (legal services is ok, as long as sony/bmg do not benefit)

allofmp3.com Here you can download files in any format and bitrate. Best are wav and flac, but as you pay per Meg, they cost most. I've been very pleased with the flac files I downloaded, converted to wav then to Apple lossless (my library format). Buying these files may not be legal in some countries. My concience is clear since I've paid.;)

The EULA on the afflicted CDs has these first sale destroying terms, translated from legalese by the EFF:

1. If your house gets burgled, you have to delete all your music from your laptop when you get home. That's because the EULA says that your rights to any copies terminate as soon as you no longer possess the original CD.

2. You can't keep your music on any computers at work. The EULA only gives you the right to put copies on a "personal home computer system owned by you."

3. If you move out of the country, you have to delete all your music. The EULA specifically forbids "export" outside the country where you reside.

4. You must install any and all updates, or else lose the music on your computer. The EULA immediately terminates if you fail to install any update. No more holding out on those hobble-ware downgrades masquerading as updates.

5. Sony-BMG can install and use backdoors in the copy protection software or media player to "enforce their rights" against you, at any time, without notice. And Sony-BMG disclaims any liability if this "self help" crashes your computer, exposes you to security risks, or any other harm.

6. The EULA says Sony-BMG will never be liable to you for more than $5.00. That's right, no matter what happens, you can't even get back what you paid for the CD.

7. If you file for bankruptcy, you have to delete all the music on your computer. Seriously.

8. You have no right to transfer the music on your computer, even along with the original CD.

9. Forget about using the music as a soundtrack for your latest family photo slideshow, or mash-ups, or sampling. The EULA forbids changing, altering, or make derivative works from the music on your computer.

This is not much different from the EULA's we have all clicked "yes" to for us to use our computers. It's some thing we all have to do, and face the consequeces later - maybe.:xeye:
What is changing is thet the EULA's are moving into media and the media companies are attempting to control waht we do with it. The major coup will be when they "licence" us to use it rather than selling it to us. That will be the end!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Disclaimer: I am in no way promoting the copy of software and/or audio for commercial exploitation.

It is beyond me that the audio industry still thinks that any copy protection would be effective to the companies who make a living of ‘illegally’ ripped audio. Instead, they infect PC’s from ordinary people who paid for a legal copy. If the song can be played it can be copied, simple as that. Or did they forget the existence of a line-out socket?

There’s one thing I can’t figure out on that Sony software:
Can the CD be played without installing the software? If not, turning the autorun function off is useless.
http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/uninstall.html

/Hugo – Thinking of buying the infected Cd’s as collectors items. :D :D

This makes me even more glad that I have already stopped purchasing commercial music. No, I don't pirate it either; there's a surprising amount of truly free stuff out there for the taking (I even contribute to that myself :D).

It's a shame though, because I was looking forward to buying a PS3 in the future, but now I'm going to have to boycott Sony completely.

Hi,
as i read yesterdays News on Heise.de (german) there are actual affected Mac and / or Linux systems.

german:
http://www.heise.de/security/news/meldung/66044

links in article:
http://www.macintouch.com/#tip.2005.11.10.sony
http://www.sunncomm.com/Brochure/SunncommPage2.htm

as i understand, there are added kernel-"add-ons" without notice to the user. older news noted, it is not really spyware how it comes, but spyware could very easy be added to the rootkit (even over the web) without notice.

be aware that this whole story could make your homebanking a really worse thing...

have fun,
tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.