Why can't sound produce light?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright. I was sitting in physics class, as the professor was explaining light operates at certain ocilations per second (frequency), and then later he talked about sound in Hz (a frequency). Now, I've noticed that light produces sound when I listen to those UV lights, you hear the humm. So why can't it be the other way around? Why can't sound produce light? I've heard that it creates heat within an enclosure when the air is compressed, so why can't it make light?

Maybe I just need to stop thinking....

a question of cause & effect...

Just a couple of points.

I think you've observed two phenomena in conjuction w\ one another (light & hum from a fluorescent light) and assumed there is cause & effect. There isn't. The hum is from the power supply for the light fixture, not directly from the light.

Secondly, there is a fairly rare effect called triboluminscence whereby mechanical energy is directly converted to light. This is the effect you see (the flash of light observed in a very dark room) when you bite down on a wintergreen Lifesaver candy.

I suppose if your subwoofers were loud enough...

Another couple of points.

The frequencies of audible sound would reside in the radio end of the spectrum for light. For example 1khz light would be a 300,000 meter radio wave. Very long wavelength, as you can see. Even if sound to light were possbile it would require some very large antennae's to detect the "light". Likewise it would be difficult to create it.

The US Navy uses ELF (Extra Low Frequency) to talk with submarines around the world. The antenna is located in landlocked Michigan, as the waves travel well through the earth and oceans. I don't think they produce waves that would be audible, though (assuming we had a crazy device that would convert).

Don't stop coming up with crazy ideas, though. That is what this world needs more of.

-Dan

gromanswe said:

Light is a higher energy form than SOUND
Energy goes from higher forms to lower.
Energy it remains
but not as useful as before.
This degradation is called "something"
Study the principals of Energy!

And study elementary PHYSICS

I think perhaps we could all use to review elementary physics... light and sound are fundamentally different things. What we call sound is the transmission of a vibration (in the range of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz) THROUGH A MEDIUM (like air, water, or a railroad track) which excites our eardrum into vibration. Light is electromagnetic radiation, having both an electronic and a magnetic vector of equal frequency at 90 degrees to one another along the axis of propagation, 180 degrees out of phase. Electromagnetic radiation does not need a supporting medium to travel, unlike sound. Different beasts entirely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it called entropy?

The "degradation" is mesuared with entropy.
Where higher number is more degradation.
Read more here: http://www.entropylaw.com

Its actually about a problem most DIY amp builders run into when trying to the maximum energy trough a minimum heatsink;)

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
Sound does produce light but you need to be in the right state of mind to make the conversion.

Try a tab of acid.

Just ask gromanswe. If there ever was an acid burn-out, he's the man.
I use Acids!
C-vitamin, Askorbin syra (for overall feelgood)
Acetyl Salicyl syra (for my headache)

To use your right Acid, is of vital importance.
Some acids are to be considered as POISION

To add some info of my intakes,
I take Nicotine in form of SNuff
That is about all, worth mention
of one VIKING's substance consumption

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why etc

gromanswe said:

Light is a higher energy form than SOUND
Energy goes from higher forms to lower.
Energy it remains
but not as useful as before.
Study the principals of Energy!

And study elementary PHYSICS

The word you're looking for is "entropy". Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the difference between sound and light.

You know, Gro etc, I think you are not the man you pretend to be. I think you are playing a very smart game. But, as you have found out, you can only play it for a limited time.....

Jan Didden

ENTROPY

A ha! Now is entropy is energy becoming more useless; then isn't the same applicable to the resistance to speakers and sound. The more resistance in a speaker, to more heat created and less usefull the energy is to the production of sound. So in the overall view of it all, the energy is becoming more entropic to the system.

Take some acid I guess and try to visualize this idea. You might get giddy at how exciting the idea sounds!:D

ENTROPY

tomasro said:
A ha! Now is entropy is energy becoming more useless; then isn't the same applicable to the resistance to speakers and sound. The more resistance in a speaker, to more heat created and less usefull the energy is to the production of sound. So in the overall view of it all, the energy is becoming more entropic to the system.

Take some acid I guess and try to visualize this idea. You might get giddy at how exciting the idea sounds!:D

tomasro
you have that OPEN mind
resting on what has been proven to be a fact!
Likes of you I found interesting to conversate!

New discoveries will come!
Just a matter of timespan

I praise my god for sending you my way

I have said this before
New Ideas comes from non-conformed thinkers
and those who is NOT supernaturals BELIEVERS

I greet You my young Fellow MAN
say what you mean - mean what you think -think anything
why not
:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.