Why can't sound produce light?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well sir, thank you very much.

Bill, I've heard of a critic in my day, but you come too close to using this forum as a for of soap box. Too many things are standard and "the way they will always be." Change is good, and so is variety. So if you'd like me to take your comments seriously, I recomend that the intelectual put downs be put to a minimum. Thanks.

The one thing I've noticed about this question is that it has illicited so many different opinions and responses. People (including myself) have learned from their mistakes. But that's what the forum is for: so that people learn. I didn't know I was stepping into territory that had potential for nuclear fusion (first couple of posts) all the way down to fundamental physics.

Can anyone else think of any other applications of this kind of technology if it were to be developed? Mood music is one....

BUT WHAT ELSE???:)

Mr Hollands Opus comes to mind, i.e. music which deaf people can enjoy. In the movie they set up a bunch of lights which were coreographed to a music concert which was put on for the community, and which the deaf members of the community were encouraged to attend(Mr. Hollands son was deaf, hence his motivation). Anyways, if sound producing light ever did come to be, you wouldnt need to set up the complicated lighting and coreography which Mr. Holland set up, you would just need to turn on the music. On a side note and on the topic of Mr. Holland, I studied band in high school under the direction of the director named "Oregon's Mr. Holland" (well only the first two years, he retired). "Mr. Bolton's Opus" I remember one of the newspaper headlines read. But now that ive gotten myself so far off topic, i think I'll stop before i start talking about hippopotomus's, or is it hippopotumi? You know I did hear the other day that they can run faster than humans.. There i go again. :D

Mike

Take matter and antimatter. Then poof you will get a quick flash of light. However, it takes several years to make enough antimatter, but sound isn't matter.
http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/

Sound can change the direction of light by using a crystal and a sound emitting device. The sound emitting device oscillates the crystal. The light that is passed through gets redirected.

A few movies used a resonant frequency of a molecule such as water. It then produce energy. I think it was called Chain Reaction.

There are many ancient cities that used sound in their devices.

tomasro:

Changing sound into light is an old idea that has had some practical applications. Of course you wouldn't be changing the sound, just using it as a control signal.

So you're looking for a project to enhance your mood? Here's one with a little history as a preface.

In my electronics orientation class at Keesler Air Force Base they had a bank of fluorescent lights with a different colored filter on each light. When a music signal was fed into the control box, the lights would go on and off in time with the music; a different color for each of the frequency bands. The devices was called a "COLOR ORGAN." This was 1958. I said, "cool." The class was appropriately impressed with the power of electronic devices.

Many years later a company called Castle Lighting made a product with 3 light bulbs, one red, one green and one blue. Each light responded to a band of frequencies and the intensity of the light bulbs varied with the intensity of the music within its respective band. The devices popularity reached its peak coincident with "psychedelic" music. Later, in SanFrancisco, a group was playing with the idea of using music to control what you saw on a color television screen.

After the drugs wore off the devices pretty much disappeared into oblivion except for a very elementary version marketed by Radio Shack, et al.

Liberace had a piano with a microswitch attached to each key. Each switch controlled a different light.

In the 80's I was pondering the idea of music activated lights and their heretofore shortcomings. It ocurred to me that dividing the music into 9 bands rather than 3 would be more effective. I built such a device with 9 differently colored light bulbs. WOW. The devices I had previously seen were slow and ponderous. This was much more effective. Dancing lights. I then wondered about the effects if the music was divided into 100 different frequency bands, each with its own light. I never did follow through with this but imagine the possibilites. . .

You would be able to identify a piece of recorded music by viewing the light display. You would be able to tell the difference between a clarinet and sax playing the same note. And then I thought that compositions could be written for the device. No sound. Just light. A symphony in golds and greens for example. These pre-recorded light compositions, along with the playback device of course, might be a marketable product. If done right.

So here's your project. You could create a whole new industry. Build it and you could at the very least have your mood enhancer.

Sonoluminsescence only produces light indirectly from sound (more appropriately shockwaves) . As the bubbles collapse the gas is placed under extreme pressure. Using Boyle's law the temperature of the gas goes up, significantly (tens of thousands of degree's or more). When heated to this temperature the gas will glow and produce light.

I didn't read this article in particular, but I have read about Sonoluminsescence in general. I seem to recall a cold fusion story several months ago where some people claimed that they have been able to use this phenomenon to produce temperatures sufficient to cause fusion using heavy water. Of course the experiement has not been duplicated.

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
I read some interesting docs a while ago that it is (maybe) possible to use 2 ultrasonic beams of energy, one unmodulated, and one modulated with audio and where the two beams intersect the audio is synchronisely demodulated and you get audio without using a loudspeaker.
If that work's why can't we use the same principle with two beams of light to produce sound without loudspeakers. Or 3d images in space.

Not wanting to branch this off into another subjectivist/objectivist debate, but there are some people who can see music.

It's called synaesthesia - I knew a guy who had it, and he only realised that not everyone had it after he needed a simpsons joke explained to him (when lisa drinks the water at Duff-land, she says something about seeing the music, and he just assumed that everyone experienced that).

Basically it means a union of the senses - mostly the other four senses appearing as colours (I think the guy I knew even said that shapes and letters had their own colours, and it really threw him when letters were written in completely different colours to the colours they evoked). Certain instruments could evoke a feeling of red being smeared across one corner of vision, and others could evoke a soft blue feeling, etc...

I would imagine that certain hallucinogenic substances would give a similar perception.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Vivek said:
Hi,
Since both light and sound are transverse waves, why not try and add a magnetic component to sound and try to produce light?

Vivek

mrfeedback said:
Vivek, do you mean magnetic air ?

Eric.

Well, if we take a speaker used for underwater work, immerse it in a vat of FerroFluid and play Free Bird through it, what would happen?

Probably not light. :idea:

Better know someone who works at the FerroFluid factory before you try this. Retail, the stuff is expensive. ;)

Psychology

Very interesting, I find that the sounds of many things bring up abstract shapes, smells, and tastes in mind.

I recently completed a psychology class last semester, and Although im not a psychologist yet, i believe this sort of phenominom is better explained through psychology. Another similar example is that when the season starts to change, all of a sudden i am reminded of a really good video game that came out around that time. Strange yes, but it is sometimes the same way with food and even more so with girls. If i dated a girl for a good while and we met in the spring or first started dating in the spring, when i first sense the seasons changing to spring, all of a sudden it reminds me of that girl. Maby something similar is going on with various sounds. (classical conditioning, association, etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.