Hearing High Frequencies “When I’m 64”

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes this is the prediction I am fearing too. The MRI scan is in three weeks, then wait to be seen again by the audiologist for the results and possible way forward.

Lifestyle wise I wear ear plugs on public transport always for over a decade and foods I heavily suspect sugar to be an aggravating factor.

I am 61 and just had a hearing test, awful, even at my age the audiologist said, so she sending me for an MRI scan.
Barbieboy,

Although your audiogram indicates more loss than mine at lower frequencies, my loss appears greater at others, even when I was your age.

Your audiogram does not seem to have any LDL symbols as can be seen on mine in the OP, the lower line with the “m”-like symbols that indicate loudness discomfort level (LDL), the intensity of sound at which you would report sounds to be uncomfortably loud. The LDL is measured to determine your dynamic range of hearing, the range from the softest to the loudest sound you can tolerate without discomfort.

If your LDL was not measured, that could be the reason you describe the hearing aids prescribed ten years ago as "agonizing", they may not be properly adjusted for your remaining dynamic range.

There also have been advances in technology in the last 10 years, the aids you were prescribed may not have been capable of individual frequency band dynamic compression available in premium hearing aids.

If your audiologist did not conduct an LDL test previously or during the last test, I'd suggest finding another audiologist before waiting for an MRI.

Art

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Art I suggested that Barbieboy (a long time friend) have a look at your test results because they looked a bit like yours. Thanks for pointing out the LDL, something I didn't know about, but I'm sure plagues a lot of us. Hyperacusis is bothering me more and more, although I've always had a very low threshold of hearing, meaning loud sounds have bothered me all my life. Maybe that's why I've never cared much for rock-n-roll. Even as a kid I was yelling "You kids turn down that racket!!" :) With loss and damage, it seems to be getting worse. The reallocation of lost frequencies is an interesting problem, perhaps without a current cure.

Thanks for pointing out the LDL, something I didn't know about, but I'm sure plagues a lot of us. Hyperacusis is bothering me more and more, although I've always had a very low threshold of hearing, meaning loud sounds have bothered me all my life.
Pano,

There is a lot to learn about hearing, hearing loss, and the complex DSP/transducer/microphone interface used to deal with it that most are largely unaware of until 15 years or more after they could have used the knowledge.
I am both saddened and disturbed that this thread was moved from the “Multi-Way Loudspeaker” forum to “Everything Else”, where less than 10% of those that could benefit from the information will encounter it.

In the “Audiometric Characteristics of Hyperacusis Patients” study you linked, LDLs are little different between those with hearing losses compared to those with normal hearing. Note the LDL pattern of my right ear is slightly above those with “clinically normal” hearing thresholds.

Reported in the study results:
“With an increase in high-frequency hearing loss, LDLs are also slightly increased in the hearing loss region, albeit to a much smaller degree than the HTs… hearing loss can be ruled out as a determining factor for hyperacusis…when hyperacusis patients were tested with natural sounds like dog barking or baby crying, LDLs were often considerably lower than for pure tones, suggesting that natural sounds might be more suitable for quantifying sound sensitivity problems.”

My own innate and learned avoidance reaction to potentially damaging SPL has increased since my exposure has reduced and presbycusis advanced, my “startle response” to loud noises is greater than it ever was.

Your increased sense of hyperacusis may be exacerbated by the reduction in HF dynamic range due to presbycusis, and fear of increased loss.

Presbycusis is inevitable for most of us, but personally have felt much better since finally accepting it, and using corrective measures.

Attachments

• Hearing Thresholds and loudness discomfort levels (LDLs).png
    Hearing Thresholds and loudness discomfort levels (LDLs).png
    289.3 KB · Views: 82
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thank you, very interesting.
I developed hyperacusis in the last few years. It is more evident with the birth of my last son as i have difficulties to withstand his crys and screams for the last year and half.

It could be linked to the miss of sleep though ( it is paired too for me, not had more than 4/5 hours per nights for the last 1,5y or so).
I observed a rise of some tinitus in the last few month which are to me clearly related to overall fatigue state of mine ( have them on and off for more than 20 years and know they are related to fatigue (as well as stress)).

But i never was as responsive at some real life 'noise' ( impact in the medium/high: eg a glass put on glass table, flatware/cutlery on dish (ceramic),...) as i am atm. It can really hurt and i don't recover as fast as i'm used to (can take up to 15/30mn).

I hope those are not symptoms of Meniere disease as i have some declared members in my family (not too much serious for most of them though).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.