Speakon connectors, audiophile approvable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With passives I agree with the original post.

Spades look nice but any surface has asperities, and so even if it looks nice, only a very small portion of the surface area will actually be in contact, thus defeating all that lovely shiny gold plating and apparent flatness.

I loath bananas on speakers, current too high IMO, but OK for signal measurement, and the same as above applies.

My solution for passives is to ensure that each of the Xover terminals' holes are aligned to allow one cable to go through them all. I then solder the speaker wire after twisting into a neat cylinder, and do the terminals up tightly which compresses the softer material and increases real contact area. (After cleaning and De-Oxiting).
This can be redone at little expense periodically.

My current speakers have Speakons, and I am unsure about how they maintain a constant contact pressure, there seems to be no real contact force, but they seem good.

The new right angled Neutriks have a six position rotation facility, which is very useful.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
...We use Speakons in the pro audio world because they work...
Good contact and locking (earlier XLR's were used), no failures during performances for many years in my theatre. That applies for venues and homes. Simple terminals in parallel for the ConnectItYourself-folk.

I have never seen one with gold plated linear crystal oxygen free copper clad zipadee doo dah...
LOL. And all unneccessary too (safe for the noble worshippers equipped with absolute hearing and objective opinions).

SpeakON is the way to go. As a hint, go buy yourself a 15/16" Greenlee punch. Same size for XLR, SpeakON and PowerCON. You can also get TRS jacks in the same D-size form factor.

Frankly, what are the alternatives? Sticking wire into a binding post like an ape? Spade lugs like we're still living in the 1920s???

Banana plugs are about the least annoying alternative, but they're pretty seriously annoying. The problem with banana plugs is that the cheap ones are horrifically inconsistent, and the genuine Pomona MDP plugs are about the same price as a SpeakON connector. To add insult to injury, there are plenty of companies that haven't quite gotten the memo that YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO USE STANDARD SPACING FOR BANANA PLUGS.

Now while we're at it, why exactly are we still using RCA connectors? Neutrik even sells XLR connectors with gold contacts and embedded Swarovski crystals. No seriously, I'm not joking. Some prima-donna must have had a temper tantrum about their mic being connected using the same type of cables as the stagehand's intercom system.
NC3FXX-B-CRYSTAL | Neutrik.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Working in pro audio, Speakon is an every day connector for me. I like them. Tho sometimes they get stubborn and don't want to unlatch. Or sometimes they won't click-lock. But that's rare and they are still better than just about everything else.

Back in the 80s-90s there was a series of very large XLR style speaker connectors seen in the pro world, made by Cannon Connectors I think. Don't know if they are still made.
EDIT: It is the Amphenol EP/AP series. Still around, they predate Speakon.

"Sticking wire into a binding post like an ape?"

Well that is derisory, although spread strands are asking for trouble. As stated above I think my method is sensible because the malleability of the soldered wire enables it to conform to the screw and terminal faces under pressure, and it is also cheap.

I have also remembered that at the BBC Bulgin plugs and sockets were used, and 1/4" chrome plated brass split pins did provide very good contact, but the casing was Bakelite, and for the mains versions which were also used, they are not now safety compliant.

My bass amp box uses speakons, since the empty cabs I got had them. My mid/hi amp box has a terminal strip. I like the speakons because I can reach around the bass amp and unclip them easily enough to work on the amps. I like the terminals because they allow me to use my own setup in back to accommodate things like test leads. I also like alligator clips for similar reasons. A few commercial amps I have use amphenol-like connectors, but only for balanced input etc. I'm sure the amphenol types make better connections than the speakons; mine have given me trouble on rare occasions. If my main motives were setup/teardown and portability I'd use the speakons regardless. Else... more if I have to.

I believe You could ask Neutrik to make Gold or Platin Speakon connectors, but the insulation would be bad, but as there is metallic plastic (my tape deck keys are) it is probably possible to make them. I believe they also make diamond incrustated XLR's

Yes the connectors are long but You also want a large case to impress Your friends and there are angled e colored connectors too. .

There is only one caveat. Since the connectors are the same on the cable & on the gear You can eventually short two or more amplifier channels. The same happens with jacks & RCA's. Colors are here handy.

I vote for them since all my PA gear uses them & they never failed me. I vote also on their other connectors. Don't make the same mistake like some high end folks that use White Powercons for inlets instead of the blue ones.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.