Speakon connectors, audiophile approvable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Opinions wanted.

I HATE spade lugs. I once nuked an amp that was rather good sounding, but, apparently, rather delicate, by hooking up spade lugs to the amp in a dark corner of the room. Yes, I bridged the speaker terminals.

Note: PS Audio 200C amps are NOT short tolerant!

I hate banana plugs. They never seem to have much grip.

I hate five way binding posts. Even the best of them. The best ones are
NOT the ridiculous touchproof type (hey, who ever got electrocuted from a live speaker cable anyway?) but even then, they're either too loose or it's too easy to overtighten them and cause damage, and even then if you tighten them to correct specs to get some "coining" of the spade lugs (assuming you're using spades) then if you disconnect them and then reconnect, the connection won't be quite as good at least in theory.

So, why is is that the audiophile community has not embraced the wondrous thing called the Speakon connector?

To me it's the answer to a big problem. Easy to use, reliable, capable of handling high power levels, connects up to four circuits in a single plug, idiotproof when assembled correctly, high contact to contact mating area, and, yes, highly "tweakable" if some audiophile connector company decided to make a real audiophile version of it. Imagine Cardas or WBT versions of Speakon connectors. They would be things of great beauty, costing a lot, and of course, sounding better because your wallet demands you think that they sound better otherwise you're a rube.

I've got a pair of Krell KMA-160 monoblocks which sport four PAIRS of binding posts and places for two XLR input jacks, one of which is a blank cover plate. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of dropping a Speakon connector into that spot (no drilling needed) and being DONE with the binding post/spade lug/banana clip nonsense. And if I can find drop-in speakon-equipped jack panels for my speakers (Aerial Acoustics 10Ts) then I think I'll retrofit those, too.

I already retrofitted them to my QSC MX1500a power amps. I could take out the binding posts and never miss them.

What do YOU think? Why is it that speakon connectors have not found a home in the audiophile world?

So do you want a sturdy, reliable, simple connection? or do you want some artifact to parade in front of the turned up noses of the audiophile community? We use Speakons in the pro audio world because they work. No one is looking at the back of my speakers to see if I have the latest gold plated worship item.

I have never seen one with gold plated linear crystal oxygen free copper clad zipadee doo dah, but i am sure someone could make one.

Why have they not caught on? people expect "normal" connections on the back of their amps and speakers. The OEMs could add the speakons, but folks would still expect the binder posts. The connector is long. You then either have to have the amp even farther from the rear wall, or engineer it to stick vertically and then worry about clearance above. What fits in my PA gear rack may not fit well in someone's living room stereo stack. Bare wires and banana plugs are obvious. You got your hot and cold wires. Copper and silver color, or smooth and ribbed wire, or striped wire, red and black. Something tells you. But a speakon requires someone to wire it up internally. That disqualifies a lot of amp owners.

I use them for the HV umbilical cord between my preamp power supply and preamp, and also for the woofer connection on my RSIIb speakers (the other wires are direct wired to the planar drivers).

You can get very nice looking metal Speakons as well, so no need to settle for the blue plastic (see pic #1).

They work wonderfully in both cases. MUCH easier to get on and off in the dark behind an equipment rack! Nice satisfying click when they engage, as well.

Attachments

• 26 Preamp.jpg
    26 Preamp.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 569
  • Speakon Zoom.jpg
    Speakon Zoom.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 556
I think Speakon connectos are brilliant, to a certain extent, but the size of the socket sometimes limits room inside your enclosure, i would guess.

I remember dealing with a sound system at band practice for an hour until we realized that we forgot to turn the plug to the right so that it locks in.
But once it's in there it's in there, so i'd give it a thumbs up.

Yes, many banana plugs are poorly made and I went through a few sets before I finally found some inexpensive, three piece quality ones the allow you to solder the wire to it coming out the end of them The also have a very secure male connector that is very solid
The were actually recommended by someone here a while back.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...d=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Of course, what gauge wire they will accept is dependent on the bulk of their insulation. I'm using them with 14 gauge .

So, there are some very good, relatively inexpensive ones out there.

BTW, I use them for my NAD C-350 amp as it's way more convenient/practical with my set up ..

Last edited:
I recently hooked a couple crown amps into my system to drive my woofers. they use speakON connectors...They are great..cheap secure and simple too make up the cables. Plus nice chuck style strain relief.
I also like the neutrik xlr connectors. Same reasons.

I don't mean to resurrect a long dead thread but I put my two pennies in. I am going to buy Speakon connectors for a build. I have long thought them really good value, a look at the Neutrik website tells you they are quality. All of the products have accurate drawings and download for material specs, 3D drawings if you need panels machining or cutting. I think many people might be swayed by the nickel plated sockets but you do not need them, the quality of the plastic ones is high, they are very durable.
The length from the amplifier end could be a problem but Neutrik make a right angle plug, it saves but a few mm. The other thing that sways me is that there are multipole versions for bi-amp or other active.
Total cost September 2020 for a common stereo set, 4 plugs, 2 cabinet sockets and 2 chassis socket €24 including delivery. More expensive than binding posts but if you can stretch to it you are only buying once.
If I have one grouse it is that the chassis connector footprint is big, 26x31mm with the round hole flange diameter of 24mm, significantly large if you want to build a slim case

OP question was slightly ambiguous, I am not being sarcastic when I say that I do not know what the audiophile world is. If I visit another popular site with forums I might think an audiophile is someone who phones the power company to give a quote on laying in gold power cable back to the generating station, here things are different.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.