What is wrong with op-amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dream is AI cutting the lawn just at the right time and doing the weeds. That suits me more than a car driving me. I don't mind safety aids on the car. One that brakes the car before I would be good. In UK and I guess everywhere has motorway count down markers every 100 metres or yards. One comic said 3 means, could be the junction, 2 means, yes it is, 1 means slow down soon and turn.

Simple AI to build electronics started as long ago as I can remember.

My friend Colleen and I asked the Apple AI interesting questions. I suspect often a human types in an answer at the moment as some questions get interesting non typical answers. We ask if it was AI? It said " I really don't know ". That's cute.

It was already jfetter'd and will appropriately fade back into oblivion soon enough.

I have found nirvana in the protected parts.

Did anyone notice the emi filter? The range includes newer cell phone bands.

125C standard temp!

Happy days are here again.

Attachments

• nirv.JPG
    nirv.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 257
To shoot myself down in flames. There is no connection between AI and automated production. We could use a 1804 card system to do it. The thinking is moving that way.

Here is a question for both the golden or tin ears. If you were given an op amp with no numbers would you be able to work out what it was? People seem very wise about this when they can see the numbers. From now on my op amps will get a coloured spot put on them when new. I will have a static band on when I do it. I have a TL072 that thinks it's a NE5532. You know it was hard to spot by any means. These days I always use LM358,TL082 and NE5532 to test circuits. Whilst there is no reason to use LM358 it can be fun to see if it can be forced to work. Outside of audio is has some virtues. When I hand over the circuit it has a DIL chip holder. More often than not they get NE5532 MC33078 and TL072. I make it very clear they are just pointers. MC33078 ( if you can get it ) often makes it to the finals. It's nice for the customer to be asked to be the judge. Some even mix things as rightly they should. I think I am quite good at making them feel they can do it.

If you were given an op amp with no numbers would you be able to work out what it was?

In general I know how some major opamps sound like. But opamp's sound will depend on the circuit. Given a 'blank' opamp and without a CRO I will not be able to design the circuit for that opamp.

Some opamps are unique. Take for example OPA2604. How will I know which one is an 604 without listening? In Groner's test, it is the ONLY opamp that is not distorted when driven from high impedance source (Rs=100k).

I have a TL072 that thinks it's a NE5532. You know it was hard to spot by any means.

With standard G=2 non-inverting circuit with 10k resistor suitable for 5MHz opamps, TL072 will audibly noisier, but musical. NE5532 will sound 'perfect' but boring.

MC33078 ( if you can get it ) often makes it to the finals. It's nice for the customer to be asked to be the judge. Some even mix things as rightly they should. I think I am quite good at making them feel they can do it.

What is the relationship between MC33078 with LM833? The datasheet is I 'think' 99% similar. LM833 is cheaper and easy to find.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The datasheet schematics don't look quite identical to me.

• Most importantly, the LM833's push-pull output stage includes a PNP transistor to pull down to the negative rail. But the '078's output stage is all-NPN. Q11 pushes and Q12 pulls.

• The '078 has three capacitors but the '833 only has two.

• The '078 includes clipping-recovery transistor Q7, which is not present in the '833.

_

Attachments

• sch_lm833.png
    sch_lm833.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 335
  • sch1_33078.png
    sch1_33078.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 336
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thank you, Mooly! I did not know that "LM833-N" (N for National) is a different chip with a different datasheet and different internal guts, than "LM833". This latter chip does indeed appear to have the identical dumbed-down-for-customers schematic as the MC33078. IMO it was more than a little bit misleading for TI to give the new die, the same part number as the old.

So the newer 833 is quasi like MC33078 and according to Mooly has much better output drive, which is one of the strength of MC33078 according to nigel.

But how can we identify the newer 833??

BTW, being a quad, MC33079 is about the same price (smd) with the dual 078. I would like to test the subjective quality of 833 first before looking into the MC. The 0.002% thd is worse than my 0.001% standard.

All I can say is 33079 is very nice sounding. It makes a very OK MC stage if looking for tape dack levels of hiss. I have used three as input stage and final device as 318/3180 RIAA. That seemed better than other ideas. PU used, Lyra Helikon, Ortofon MC25 calibration and DL110. Although not for me even an Ortofon SPU. When someone gave me some LT1115 they were less well liked in the same design. We even did a LT + 33078 hybrid that was more or less what was wanted.

That's where I was with this. Being a fan of Naim designs an all NPN output was interesting. The SE class A trick suits the design.

Someone said if used at low current op amps will be in push pull class A. Any thoughts? The thinking was as no easy form of bias adjustment is possible all are class AB. I have no idea if that is reasonably to say that. This would mean op amps are not " blameless " even though they mostly they are.

Better sounding often is the right compromise. As gain is used on the MC33078 it is obvious the HF is less bright. It should be. Distortion on one of my ideas using it would be 0.1%. It sounds very like a good valve circuit. When I go to a concert I hear a very similar compromise if a hall like the Sheldonian in Oxford. Beethoven is remarkable there as are most things. Whilst I like modern music I have no point of reference to say what is best. Even so what works for Beethoven seem to work for other things. Often Beethoven is a pain when hi fi. 78's often sound more correct. Disney got it right. It isn't stereo exactly. More patches of music. Very deep woody sounds.

An analogy I would make is with food. I am dreadful with food. I eat so as to live. If I force myself I think about it. All the same when someone took the trouble to cook for me I should try harder. Music can be just the same. It can feed the soul without any need to ask why. I respect that. I would beg people to find a type of muisic without too much amplification used and learn what it really sounds like. Opera can be good. Make sure you like the story first. Jazz type stuff mostly sounds good anywhere. I guess that's the whole point of Jazz, one makes it sound good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.