Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Stepped Differential Attenuator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2021, 09:16 PM   #1
wtnh is offline wtnh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stepped Differential Attenuator

I got tired of cobbling together resistors to attenuate amplifier signals when doing distortion measurements. For low-level measurements, having a rats nest of parts and wires on the bench was bad from a noise standpoint as well.

So I decided to put together a fully differential stepped attenuator. I wanted:
  • Either fully differential or single-ended use (switchable)
  • XLR (mini) and BNC connectors
  • Coarse and fine adjustment
I looked around for an easy way (as opposed to something fancy like relays and R2R networks) to do this and came across Joe Broskie's clever idea of using a combination of shunt resistors for coarse adjust and a series string for fine steps. He sells a kit to do this on his Glass-Ware store. Currently, they appear to be out of stock.

The first picture shows the completed unit in a small aluminum case. The second shows the schematic with resistor values and the third shows the internal (somewhat messy) point-to-point wiring. The resistors are mounted directly on the switches.

For the shunt resistors, I used 1%. For the input and series string resistors, I used 0.1% in order to keep common-mode errors low in balanced mode.

Note that the attenuator has an in-built 3 dB insertion loss due to the shunt arrangement, so I have to mentally add in -3 dB when doing measurements. Not a big deal.

The front panel was designed in KiCad and sent off to JLCPCB. I specified aluminum for the substrate. They charged me US$0.50 each (plus shipping) and had them to me in a week. This is a great way to get nice-looking panels done on the cheap.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1291.png (421.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 2.11.23 PM.png (181.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: png IMG_1290.png (548.7 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by wtnh; 14th September 2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:12 AM   #2
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The panel option from JLBPCB looks really interesting.

The impedances look low enough that you won't get serious response issues. The easy balanced/unbalanced is a nice trick, especially if you have an isolated floating source.
Old 15th September 2021, 08:12 AM   #3
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I wonder how you ordered the panel on JLCPCB. Aluminum substrate, white PCB color -> black silkscreen, no solder mask, removed order number? Thanks!
Old 15th September 2021, 01:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Exactly right - except I forgot to say no order number.

The aluminum looks nice, but you could also specify a white solder mask on the front with black lettering.

Here is a better picture of the panel.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1283.png (482.0 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by wtnh; 15th September 2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 16th September 2021, 09:28 AM   #5
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Perfect, thanks!
Old 16th September 2021, 10:11 AM   #6
HpW is offline HpW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtnh View Post
For the shunt resistors, I used 1%. For the input and series string resistors, I used 0.1% in order to keep common-mode errors low in balanced mode.

Cheers!
What about freq. response and required freq. compensation cap's?

Hp
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The frequency response is pretty much ruler-flat to 20 Hz to 20KHz at all attenuation steps. This is using short, low capacitance cables and a low impedance output from my sound card. I think that since the resistors are all relatively low value, there is not much roll-off in the audible band.

For my use case, it is a moot point regardless, since I tend to do a calibration loop with the attenuator, notch filter, and soundcard in series, then switch to a low distortion oscillator (Victor's) feeding a DUT and subtracting out the calibration anomalies.
  Reply to this post

Stepped Differential AttenuatorHide this!Advertise here!