Need a new multimeter - recommendations please

I called Fluke and spoke with a nice young man with an Indian accent who couldn’t tell me much. Some of their models are being made in China but he wouldn’t or couldn’t specify. There seems to be a significant difference in display quality, speed, and warranty. I’m not certain if these consistently go hand-in-hand, but the lifetime warranty seems to be what separates the big boy meters from the Chinese-consumer-pricepoint models. Seems that the 179 is where you get into the US made, lifetime warranty at around $300. That’s probably what I’m going to go for unless a deal on a used 87-V jumps in my lap.

Dc acuracy seems ok with UT meters.
On the picture is 13 year old fluke 179 made in usa and UT-139c.

I buyed few months ago UT139c, it was local group buy, price about 30$. Fluke was 300 euro back in 2008.

Both are factory adjusted, no aditional calibration.

Attachments

• 20210614_195332.jpg
    20210614_195332.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 20210614_195512.jpg
    20210614_195512.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 338
Price/performance for a new unit - probably Brymen. But off ebay there`s used Fluke`s and I`d take them anytime over a new budget unit. SOme basic Hioki meters are also pretty well done.

Uni-T - they have horrific protection and not very reliable - have had at least two + one Voltcraft rebrand fail me.

Consider a used Fluke 27/FM.
Easy to find on ebay under $100, this was a unit made for the military.
It has a ruggedized housing with additional gaskets and seals for water resistance.
Mechanically it is solid unit capable of warding off attackers and has the usual Fluke protections against overload and operator mistakes. It has better than average specs as well.

If you're patient and watch for a deal, a Fluke 87V ticks the true RMS and capacitance range boxes, and usability, the 80 series has been around for 30+ years, well refined UI. I bought one on (insert big auction site here) as an unboxed ex demo, as new, does what it says on the tin. The fast peak hold and min-max work well, as does relative mode.
OT, my 30yo model 83 still has perfect cal (I have access to a calibrator), and I'd recommend except they are average reading on AC, not true RMS. Still a very good tool.

My old Fluke 73 III has gone kaput after nearly 20 years.

In my country Switzerland, old Fluke's carry a lifetime warranty. And I don't even need a proof or some sort of receipt. I had my old Fluke 83 fixed, the display died. Obviously the vendor tried to sell me a calibration, I gladly accepted. That's a win-win process. Usually during the last century Fluke offered lifetime warranty against defect, not blown devices.

regards,
Pierre

Last edited:
My old Fluke 73 III has gone kaput after nearly 20 years. I bought a cheapie Kline at Home Depot that I’m not happy with because it’s not auto-ranging and doesn’t give range or mode info in the display, among other things. I figure I’ll keep it as a backup.

I’m not a highly sophisticated user who would benefit from very expensive models laden with features. I want reliability, ease of use, accuracy, and a perhaps bit more than a minimal feature set. I am still partial to Fluke. The model 110 is a bit over $100, which seems okay. So my question is, should I spend a little more for a higher model, or will the 110 be a solid long-term purchase? I’d rather pay a little more now than to wish I had later. My typical use is building amps, etc (kits) testing and troubleshooting, as well as general household and automotive stuff. Is there a specific model that is viewed as the perfect basic meter, loved by everyone, and no regrets on value? Thanks!
Take a look at EEVLOG and Dave Jones' very good reviews.

EEVblog - YouTube

In my country Switzerland, old Fluke's carry a lifetime warranty. And I don't even need a proof or some sort of receipt. I had my old Fluke 83 fixed, the display died. Obviously the vendor tried to sell me a calibration, I gladly accepted. That's a win-win process. Usually during the last century Fluke offered lifetime warranty against defect, not blown devices.
Pierre

I looked at the lifetime warranty, and it doesn’t apply except to the original owner with proof of purchase. And displays are warranted for a finite 10 years. What they do in practice may be different, but I wouldn’t factor any warranty into the value of a used Fluke.

I’ve been looking for a used 87 V (or a few others) and when I identify a clean looking meter and a seller that seems reliable, it will get bid up ridiculously. My attention span is diminishing, but I’ll keep trying. If anyone sees one for sale (other than zbay), I’d appreciate a tip.

Last edited:
I found a used 87V for $110. It comes with leads but no yellow boot. I contacted the seller and asked if it was fully functional and he said, yes, as far as he knows. He accepts returns so I need to assess functionality pretty quick. So two questions- 1) is there a procedure to test or will I need to send it to someone , and 2) is it possible to buy a replacement boot (where)?

I found a used 87V for $110. It comes with leads but no yellow boot. I contacted the seller and asked if it was fully functional and he said, yes, as far as he knows. He accepts returns so I need to assess functionality pretty quick. So two questions- 1) is there a procedure to test or will I need to send it to someone , and 2) is it possible to buy a replacement boot (where)?

That is a really good price!

Genuine OEM FLUKE H80 Yellow Case Holster 87V: Genuine OEM FLUKE H80 Yellow Case Holster 83 83V 85 85V 87 87V 88 88V 787 H80M 95969287005 | eBay

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 189
It’s good for a fully functional meter. The guy didn’t state that in the description, so I emailed him and he said, yes, as far as he knows. So I don’t know if he even knows. Decided to take a chance since he has 30 day returns.

Thanks for the eBay link. I searched but guess I didn’t use the magic word (holster). As soon as I determine that it’s a keeper I’m ordering a boot (my word)

Success! Received the meter today and it seems to be working just fine based on initial test against my other meter. I ordered the yellow case from the ebay link. Cost for meter and case, $137 plus $10 shipping. Very happy to have a good meter at a fair price. I really appreciate everyone's help with this.