Inexpensive Soldering Station

Last evening my faithful SP-23 Weller soldering iron died after 10+ years of service. I'm looking to buy an inexpensive (my first) soldering station.

Does anyone has this little guy on their workbench?

Yihua 939D+ Digital Soldering Station.

It is supposed to be equivalent to 75W with temperature control 392°F to 896°F. Looks well built. $43 shipped on Amazon.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Mayank

Attachments

• 71CwB2nvGDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71CwB2nvGDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 718
  • 71ZwGkuHifL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71ZwGkuHifL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 681
I read its a Hakko clone but just not as good , some parts interchangeable but got a surprise in the Philippines they are selling the same marked model but a whole range higher quality with a 3 button front setup chrome control-larger LCD display but with a Samsung quality CPU and "double the SMT process " and quality specs including a different panel material.

As I always say -China builds to a price you can buy the basic type cheap or you can buy the higher quality control one .
I found that out over a decade ago when I tested 3 Chinese soldering stations which were "badge engineered " one £28 -second £40 and the third £60 outwardly the looked similar but internally ---- the difference was vast .

I posted the results on a UK public help website and surprisingly got told to "shut up " even though I was a regular of many years standing , its then I found out about "vested interests " .

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
T12 is better (possible even much better) and costs the same (or even a bit cheaper).

I got a T12 recently. Very nice and effective, especially with the inexpensive various tips that can be changed on the fly!

Also because one of my Weller irons died (due to a design oversight) and a replacement iron was more expensive than a T12 with three tips!

Recommended.

Jan

I purchased a "replacement" Weller magnatech pencil with a bunch of tips and cobbled a spare transformer into a nice case with switch and fuse to drive the pencil. Total cost very much less a new station from any brand at about AU$85.

The pencil itself is the critical bit. A similar solution may be possible for other brands if you do the research into the required secondary voltage.

Hi,

After my so far faithful Weller died recently, I bought me one of these T12 variants on ebay.
T12 variant
It came with an OLED display and the basic handle (with a securing nut) and costed only 35€.
I just wanted to test if it were any useable, before maybe buying a more expensive A brand station.
This little station is just a joy to work with so far.
To be honest, I wouldn't return to Weller or Ersa.
I'd rather buy a second T12 but with the quick change handle wo. the securing nut.
btw, the aluminum handle has been reported to heat up considerably .... the plastic handles seem ok though.

jauu
Calvin

Hi Mayank, good to see you.

When I was looking around for a solder station I did a lot of research and wound up buying a used Metcal power supply and handpiece. They are unlike most as they use an induction heater built into the interchangeable elements. Very fast heatup time, about 10 to 15 seconds and the handpiece is about as big as a Sharpie fine point. Your holding the handpiece no more than 1.5 inches from the tip, that gives you much more control.

That purchase did more for my soldering skills that anything I have ever done.

If you keep an eye out on ebay and such they show up for around 100 bucks or so.

BillWojo

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

After my so far faithful Weller died recently, I bought me one of these T12 variants on ebay.
T12 variant
It came with an OLED display and the basic handle (with a securing nut) and costed only 35€.
I just wanted to test if it were any useable, before maybe buying a more expensive A brand station.
This little station is just a joy to work with so far.
To be honest, I wouldn't return to Weller or Ersa.
I'd rather buy a second T12 but with the quick change handle wo. the securing nut.
btw, the aluminum handle has been reported to heat up considerably .... the plastic handles seem ok though.

jauu
Calvin

Fully agree. I have exactly the same unit. I have several Weller stations, have been a Weller guy all my life. But they have morphed into high priced mediocre stuff. Their latest iron comes apart if you put some pressure on it.

The T12 is great, I especially like the quick change of tip without having to wait for it to cool down or needing any tools or hex keys. I had a minor issue with mine; the rotary knob can be pressed to access the setup menu. Mine had a knob that was a bit too long and it had shifted against the front panel so couldn't be pressed to switch. A shorter knob from my parts bin fixed that. My distributor is aware and works with the manufacturer to fix it.

Jan

T12 is better (possible even much better) ......
100% agree
Yes it is. When choosing soldering station first of all look at the soldering tips variety and tips quality. I have two cheap Chinese made stations stations with 900 (hakko) tips. Both are currently retired after I got T12. Which happen to be Ksger (STM32) station with tip pull-push handle. And about two years ago I also got induction soldering station, which is standard Chinese industrial version Bakon BK-1000. Both of the latter ones are in use. T12 allowing to calibrate and save in memory a various tips (99 memory slots) I using 9 differtnt tips/. Also T12 have micro-wave soldering tips (BC1, BC2, BC3) which is quite handy.
Today I definitely would not buy soldering station with 900 style tips even if it is original Hakko with original Hako tips or the like.

I have the Shinenow version of the KSGER...

Soldering Iron Station Kit,Digital Portable Soldering Iron Station Temperature Controller 72W with T12 Handle and T12 Tip: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

There is ~40V between the tip and ground - beware. Excellent machine, but either lift it's ground, or do as I do and run it from a 12V battery and inverter otherwise you WILL kill JFETs etc when you solder them. Ask me how I know...

FYI: Using it with an inverter only requires 1.6A of steady current so even a small SLA (or a battery charger) will work nicely.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Us old techs have preferred the reliability of the Weller station.
It's been on every serious tech's bench, and production line since dirt was discovered.
You can have your fancy digital-controlled and flatscreen displays with those new irons, I'll stick to my good ole WTCPT.

Attachments

• weller-wtcpt.jpg
    weller-wtcpt.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 346
Weller makes an excellent product, but the value for the money just isn't there IMHO.

The new ones are far less money, the tips are far more versatile and you can change them while they are hot without burning your hands. It also reaches operating temperature in ~8 seconds and uses SMPS instead of linear making it more efficient :D