High pitched noise that isnt being picked up on scope?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not being able to change the triggering sounds very 1950's.

"the scope is DSO188."

DSO188, mostly $35-$47.

It may just be too small to set trigger mode, with human fingers....

Trigger mode: Auto
Size: 57 x 34 x 11 mm
Weight: 40 grams

Attachments

• DSO188.gif
    DSO188.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 98
I do not know in this case, but often faint signals are audible because ear is averaging the noise. There are tests with audible signals encoded in dither. I do not think such signal would be discernable on single scope trace. But any soundcard with Arta/REW/even spectrogram in audacity will identify the peak easily.

I do not know in this case, but often faint signals are audible because ear is averaging the noise. There are tests with audible signals encoded in dither. I do not think such signal would be discernable on single scope trace. But any soundcard with Arta/REW/even spectrogram in audacity will identify the peak easily.

You can definitely look deeper with a narrower noise bandwidth, so just about any kind of spectrum analyser (hardware, software or biological) will beat a scope when it comes to detecting faint tones in noise. Still, you usually need more SNR to properly trigger a scope than to see something on a single-shot trace.

There is a high pitched ringing (~15khz) coming from my system which seems to fluctuate in volume slightly, almost like tinnitus , which I assumed it was after checking on scope and seeing absolutely nothing.

But after checking more thoroughly it is definitely the system, test tones of any frequency show up clear as day, rapidly changing waveforms like music or noise still show up clearly even if the scope cant track them.
How could it be that this noise is not being picked up at all on the scope?

Also I could still hear the noise through the headphones as the scope was attached.
"The capacitors in the 35th precinct are screaming..."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.