Need tips on how to use Oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What brand did you get? How about a pic. What do you want to see?

I often like to use the xy and hook one channel to input and one to output. A perfect amp will give a perfectly straight sharp diagonal line. When pushed to clip, the line will bend to horizontal.(with X hooked to input). Any phase errors will make the patern circular.

When using in any other mode, you need to learn how to adjust and use the trigger settings. If you take measurements with channel 1 and have trigger sense set for channel 2, you won't be able to make anything stand still. Also read up and understand when to use AC or DC coupling. If you want to see PSU ripple, use AC with a high sensitivity etc.

Just play around with it. watch some of your favorite songs at different time bases. You'll be surprised how big transients in music (not tennie pop commercial Britany Spears compressed to hell stuff) are in relation to the average level.

The probe impeadance is high enough, poke it around and follow a signal through the stages of an amp while playing a tone or music. Just play around a little and get familiar.

You just need to play with it!

Watch music, look at power ripple, etc. You will soon be able to troubleshoot things you could never do before.

When you can see the waveforms, you can tell what the circuit is doing/"thinking" rather than just seeing that it does not work anymore. You can see where signals start and stop, or are temporarily interupted by faulty or loose parts, etc.

Here is a picture of an audio waveform from my portable CD player...I was just playing around like you should :D Can you tell it is metal? ;)

-Matt

Attachments

• audio scope.jpg
    audio scope.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 137
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.