Replacing the floppy drive with SD-RAM on TDS3012B

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't know, but I ran into this: xkcd: Emulation

EDIT: some folks won't know what you want.
Floppy Drive to USB Flash Disk Drive Emulator

On the back side, your PC (or 'scope) thinks it is a 34-pin floppy drive. On the front, you think it is a USB thumb-drive hole. Everybody happy for $27.

I have never tried one, and have no idea if it is 99.9% compatible (and Tek uses some detail not emulated).

Attachments

• emulation_2x.png
    emulation_2x.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 189
  • A4RE_131782586233630541YJ3f7VdEET.jpg
    A4RE_131782586233630541YJ3f7VdEET.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
EDIT: some folks won't know what you want.
Floppy Drive to USB Flash Disk Drive Emulator

This is super cool and brings back memories.

As a side note - I just today ran into A:\ as a path.... and on Win10 no less. Every time one tries to load a device driver manually via Device Manager it still after this many years defaults to seeking it from a floppy drive - amazing legacy. I should but one of these devices - my Windows would be so happy I'm sure.

Attachments

• DriveA.jpg
    DriveA.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 154
In this video YouTube at around 10:00 Dave is talking about the replacement.

Thanks for pointing out this video -- I never would have figured out how to remove the handle to access the floppy!

Last summer after a powerful thunderstorm the TDS3012B wouldn't boot up for a few days. Thereafter I have unplugged everything from the mains if the weather is going to be dodgy, or if I am going to be travelling for a few days.

Thanks for pointing out this video -- I never would have figured out how to remove the handle to access the floppy!

Last summer after a powerful thunderstorm the TDS3012B wouldn't boot up for a few days. Thereafter I have unplugged everything from the mains if the weather is going to be dodgy, or if I am going to be travelling for a few days.
If anyone else has had a problem with the Tek TDS30xx scopes not booting up, try unplugging the scope, plugging back then in and depress the Trigger B button while starting. Worked for me. Jack