DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Joined 2009
Paid Member
To get the typical -124dB @1kHz @0dBV you should set the output signal to -20dBFS, the output attenuator at 20dBV and the input at 10dBV.
Use a low sample rate (44.1 or 48 kHz) and use one channel only.

There is no way to shut off one analyzer channel completely. Just unplug the input cable and leave the inputs open. Or short the unused input to pin 1 of the XLR.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
OK, time to address a couple of the issues that have been raised over the last couple of months.

Instability with certain source impedances (inductive).
I have looked at the cause and possible solutions. After a lot of simulations and measurements I ended up with a solution that is simple to implement and doesn’t have any significant impact on the performance.
The solution involves adding a series combination of a 22 pF capacitor and a 1.5 kohm resistor from each input line to ground. So 4 of these are needed. They can be added internally on the PCB or they can be added in the XLR connector of the input cable.

Shields.
As mentioned here I have designed a shield for the input amplifiers of the RTX6001.
The shields are back from manufacturing and they are ready for shipping.

We have put together an upgrade kit, consisting of 5 x 22pF/200V NP0 capacitors, 5 x 1.5kohm resistors, 2 x wires and 2 x shields. Why 5 x capacitors and resistors when only 4 are needed? To have one spare in case something goes wrong :)

I expect that the upgrade kits will be sent to all customers this week. And they are free of charge.
RTX does not offer to mount the upgrade kits in this case.

Please see the attached documents for information on how to install the shields and mount the components.

Jens

Attachments

• RTX6001 Input shields 180316.pdf
    534.6 KB · Views: 526
  • RTX6001 V1 Input Stability modification_180315.pdf
    142.1 KB · Views: 456
We have put together an upgrade kit, consisting of 5 x 22pF/200V NP0 capacitors, 5 x 1.5kohm resistors, 2 x wires and 2 x shields. Why 5 x capacitors and resistors when only 4 are needed? To have one spare in case something goes wrong :)

I expect that the upgrade kits will be sent to all customers this week. And they are free of charge.

Wow!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jens,
That is outstanding customer service! Many thanks for your continuing efforts to improve your instrument.

As it turns out, I use it every day. Normally not to the extremes of it's capabilities, but the extra information it shows can be invaluable.

-Chris