The disappearance of analog audio signal generators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure what your version of low distortion is but I use a Wavetek 166 from the early 80s I believe. I'll bet the distortion is higher with the Waveteck than the HP or Agilent but the (used of course) price is much lower ~ $150.00
It's totally analog and 99% discrete solid sate. It uses a discrete Gyrator to simulate large capacitance. This capacitance is charged by a constant current source to develop a triangle wave from which all the other type wave forms are developed.
An FET blew in mine which I fixed. On the way I got a very good analog lesson I must admit.

I'm not sure what your version of low distortion is but I use a Wavetek 166 from the early 80s I believe. I'll bet the distortion is higher with the Waveteck than the HP or Agilent but the (used of course) price is much lower ~ $150.00.

I think I paid about £30 for my sig gen second hand on ebay.
Must have had it about 10 years now and never had a problem.

I think it's great to have both old analog and new soundcard based capabilities, depending on your use scenario. For my bench, which is mainly doing restorations and experimentation, the convenience of an 'old clunker' can often shine through even though it may not have 0.000001% THD.

My vintage ss 'low distortion oscillator' from TMC (Australian Telephone Manufacturing Co) is rack size and only covers 30 to 30kHz sine, but has a large dBm meter, has 40 and 600 ohm transformer coupled output with -20 to +20dB FS switched output and an acceptable 0.05% THD, and can be 24V battery powered to avoid hum loops. I just wish I could locate a schematic/manual for the unit, as I would then have some incentive to check out the internals in some detail.

My other go to bench top unit is a Wavetek 111, that very easily gives me a nice square wave, along with other basics, and 30Vpp output from 0.01Hz to 1MegHz - very much the old uni electronics lab type style - no low distortion finess here.

I use them more so than soundcard options when I need simple output grunt, or better squarewave high frequency performance, or shorter setup time. Obviously those particular devices don't come close to a nice soundcard and software for distortion testing, or automated sweeps and spectrum displays, but I'm pleased that I have them available, and for nix cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.