Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

i have some question do you guys encounter CD63 got humming sound bcoz currently i got 2 CD63 another one is stock without modding when i play some song i put pause than i put the amp volume to maximum found the humming is quite loud compare to another stock CD63 pls help thanks

what iam done :
- remove the 4 transistor and some resistor for transistor
- bypass HDAM
- put discrete opamp and clock

RCruz said:

Hi Andy

I experimented a lot while modding the CD53 and built several analog psu´s and found that it is very difficult to parallel different smoothers without compromising the sound linearity.

Note: In the case of the digital psu´s, I found great improvements using this tech.

In the Cap Comparison article, (http://gboers.xs4all.nl/daisy/home/g3/139/measure/capacitor-comparison.html), The author asks if his method is correct or not.
One thing that stood out to me, was that his frequency sweep stopped at 20kHz and while the Mundorf cap showed an obvious improvement against the others, what was happening above 20kHz?

In the TI article, ( http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/sloa069/sloa069.pdf ) the sweep goes right into RF frequencies. The initial parts of the graphs show the same form as with the electrolytics but also show what is happening higher up. A lot of RF energy gets by !!

It stands to reason, therefore, that in digital power suppies, where RF noise is of greater interest, paralleling caps of different values will spread the null points which, when combined, will reduce the RF noise over a wider spectrum. Also certain cap types are better here eg. Oscon.

When it comes to audio power supplies, yes, with caps like the Mundorf or Black Gate, you can reduce noise above about 5Khz.

But what can be done to reduce noise lower down the audio range????

Has anyone tried the "Never-Connected" type of psu?

or the shunt type which nulls out the 50/100hz residual?

Would a switch mode psu be 'better' as most of the noise should be out of the audio range?

Andy

For info :- BHC Slit Foil / T-Cap page

http://www.bhc.co.uk/slit_foil.htm

CD 67MKII SE

Hi,

I own a CD67MKII SE for ages now. Did no mods at all. When playing back a CD-R (YES a recordable! ;) ), I usually have a problem when skipping to another song. The cd stops playing and goes back to its initial position (like when you just loaded a cd).

Maybe the question is asked before in the forum, but it's quite a big one. :smash:

Does anybody have an idea what causes this problem to occur?

Many thanks for you input on this!

Regards
Kuip

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
rowemeister said:
Simon sent me this link last night and thought some of you would like to read it, it explains alot really.
Cap comparison

But leaves a lot of questions too. Like what is the nichicon cap he's testing and why wasn't a "known good" industrial cap like a Pana FC/FM or Rubycon ZA or OSCON tested?

There is some interesting test data on a range of caps - including a BG standard - here:
http://diyparadise.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=27

The comments on the second page are well worth reading.

L700 said:
i have some question do you guys encounter CD63 got humming sound bcoz currently i got 2 CD63 another one is stock without modding when i play some song i put pause than i put the amp volume to maximum found the humming is quite loud compare to another stock CD63 pls help thanks

what iam done :
- remove the 4 transistor and some resistor for transistor
- bypass HDAM
- put discrete opamp and clock

ermm anyone encounter this problem its disable the muting its have this problem

spzzzzkt said:

But leaves a lot of questions too. Like what is the nichicon cap he's testing and why wasn't a "known good" industrial cap like a Pana FC/FM or Rubycon ZA or OSCON tested?

There is some interesting test data on a range of caps - including a BG standard - here:
http://diyparadise.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=27

The comments on the second page are well worth reading.

This only reinforces what has been common knowledge for some time .......Oscons are the cap to use for digital circuit decoupling.

But it does not show the whole spectrum from Dc upwards..

Andy

Joined 2006
Paid Member
L700 said:

I use multimeter to test my grounding no problem :(
Look for dry solder points.

Nevertheless, we all agree that after removing output mute transistors, it is possible to hear a buzzing when the volume is full on and no music playing.

I practically cured this by replacing the output opamps by the mighty DOS.

I still can hear some hiss at full volume but now is very uniform and smooth. (The noise floor from most vinyl is much higher and still admissible)

You can make it better by using schottky diodes and better regs in the analog psu.

If it really irritates you, put the mutting transistors back on.

Ricardo

sherphing said:
hi guy...yesterday i bypass the HDAM circuit by removing all the capacitor, transistor n the resistor...now got the problem, everytime i on/off the cdp b4 the amp..got the "pop" sound coming from the speaker ..how to solve this? pls help me!

yeah is like that .... everyone will face this problem just off the amp than only off the CD -Player