optical Toslink to ST conversion

Straight-tip optical uses a completely different transmitter and receiver than optical s/pdif. And I can't find a converter.

It sounds like you have an old DAC - maybe Jadis? But this DAC also has coaxial s/pdif input? If so, get a toslink-coaxial s/pdif converter -
Optical Toslink to Coaxial SPDIF Digital Adapter - Audiophonics
and go from toslink at your source to coaxial s/pdif at the DAC.

Well I just downloaded the manual for the Wadia 9, and I see the officially sanctioned way of connecting s/pdif to the glass optical input of the Wadia 9 is with the addition of a Wadia 10 Glass Optical Interface.
I imagine a Wadia 10 is quite expensive.

Alternatively if you have no further use for an ST optical input, you might consider modifying the Wadia 9 to replace the ST receiver circuit with a conventional s/pdif receiver circuit, such as -
AK4113 Digital Receiver Board SPDIF Optical/Coaxial/I2S Input To I2S Output | eBay

Attachments

• Wadia10.jpg
    Wadia10.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 100
The problem is that my Wadia has only ST inputs, whereas the modern sources have only BNC or Toslink or I2S outputs.
So I cannot connect modern sources to my Wadia 9. A Wadia 10 or a Genesis Digital Lens would be a solution but are very rare.

1. What is this source?
The sources can be Homecinema front channels, a Bluetoofh receiver or anything else. I have found a well designed Switch that has both:
  • 3 BNC inputs + 4 Toslink inputs
  • 1 BNC output + 1 Toslink output
and I connect all the "non ST" sources to this high quality switch, and therefore the problem is reduced to "how to convert the BNC switch output (*) to ST", in order to use the Wadia.

(*) BNC is obviously better than Toslink, but if I find a solution to convert Toslink to ST, it would be an acceptable approach too.

The "AK4113 Digital Receiver Board SPDIF Optical/Coaxial/I2S Input To I2S Output | eBay", does not seem to be a solution to my eyes, because I still don't see how to feed the Wadia with I2S ? And its RCA inputs of this AK4113 are totally without any interest for me, because I try to build a high quality solution, so RCA should be avoided or replaced by BNC. If they could be replaced by BNC, then OK, but the problem to feed the Wadia remains.

I hope to have clarified the problem, if not please ask.

Hi,

My source has an optical Toslink sound output.
My DAC has ONLY optical ST inputs.

Do you know good Toslink to ST adapters or interfaces ?

Thank you very much
Hi Nounours, there is Wadia 10 which accepts 5 bncs and one tosslink input and output one ST to Wadia 9! problem solved :]
Wadia 10 looks basically the same as Wadia 9’s power supply, and it’s exactly the same size. I have posted a photo of my setup here.

Regards from Germany,
Karl
7A4D3C1B-AC6A-456B-9DD4-26AE33EBBEC1.jpeg