Modifiying CD player to accept external I2S signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I wanted to test first if the digital input reciever will work as my plan I've connected everything as described but there is no sound.
I'm using the optical input of to the the digital inputs reciever and it's I2S output of the reciever to the PMD100.
The digital inputs reciever is working as it should (tested on another Dac).

I've tried the following with the same results, no sound output:

1. connected the I2S output of the digital reciever to R166, R165, R167 (resistors disconnected from U151 side) and MCK to the circled point next to pin 8 U631 (cut the trace going to pin 8)

2. Data, BCK, LRCK connected directly to the PMD100 pins 1, 2, 28 and MCK directly to pin 6.

3. connected the I2S output of the digital reciever to R166, R165, R167 and MCK to the circled point that goes to pin 4 U631.

What am I missing?
Is it possible that there is some kind of Mute "mechanism" somewhere?

Thanks

Attached

Attachments

• 1111111.jpg
    1111111.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 116
Is the internal signal from the CDP definitely i2s?

This from the PMD100 DS also;

When the input data format is I2S, the word clock is received one bit clock too early. A simple method for delaying the word clock for proper timing is to use a logic device to delay the word clock until it is triggered by the rising edge of the bit clock. (See Application Notes pg.s 16-20).

I haven't looked at the DS for the other side so please ignore me if you've already confirmed this :)

If you have access to a scope it might be worth poking around to make sure you're getting the expected signals in the right places. If not then reset (if it's not too late) back to stock and make sure the CDP works....I've spent many hours fiddling about on the assumption that something else in the chain is working when it wasn't!

Cheers

Is the internal signal from the CDP definitely i2s?

I have a very basic knowledge about the I2S subject and It was my (ignorant) assumption that the CD Players signal is I2S and unfortunately I don't have a scope.
I was playing with the idea of using the CD players PCM63 chip as a DAC for external sources and still be able to use the CD player as intended (switchable) same as with my Harman kardon HD970.

Given you don't have a 'scope its a bit of a stretch to suggest you to build yourself a single cycle delay flip-flop circuit for LRCK. The one-cycle-too-early LRCK can't account for you getting no sound at all - advancing LRCK introduces attenuation it doesn't produce no output at all. So something else must be wrong which would call for probing all the signals with a 'scope as a next step as @josha has already intimated.

It needs a not gate (inverter) as well as a flip-flop. Or it could be implemented with a negative edge triggered flip-flop and no not gate. The problem with their circuit is by delaying the clock through the inverter the flip-flop output doesn't get delayed by a whole BCK cycle rather just by the delay in the inverter. Better to use a 74HC112 and delete the inverter or stick with the HC74 and also delay the LRCK at least as much as the BCK.

So it looks like you have a few options;

1. figure out if building the suggest solution by abraxalito is within your grasp (it isn't within mine :),
2. figure out what format the signal is coming from the processor (that's a complicated beast though with a lot of options) and see if you can find an interface for that or
3. (and this is what I did) keep the CDP 'as is' and build a dedicated DAC for the external source.

If you go for option 1 I'd highly recommend getting the CDP working again before building the interface as it sounds like you should be getting some output at least without the gate.

If, like me, you like the 'idea' of DIY audio and don't mind getting your hands dirty with a soldering iron then kit DAC's are great in my opinion, there's plenty of info and suggestions on here.

Cheers

So it looks like you have a few options;

If, like me, you like the 'idea' of DIY audio and don't mind getting your hands dirty with a soldering iron then kit DAC's are great in my opinion, there's plenty of info and suggestions on here.

Cheers

At some point (when it all become Chinese to me ;) )it hit me that my original plan is not going to happen.
As I like to “get my hands dirty”, I’m good with soldering and I can spare this CD player, I have now 2 PCM63 dac chips for building a diy dac using it, does anyone have a suggestion for a dac kit for PCM63?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.