Modifiying CD player to accept external I2S signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a Rotel RCD-971 CD player that I would like to modify so it can accept I2S signal from an external digital inputs receiver switch that has a I2S output.
In this way I will be able to connect external digital sources and use the Rotel's PCM63 DAC chip and have the anlalog output from the Rotel's analog outputs.
I need your help to understand where should I connect the DATA, BCK, LRCK, MCK outputs from my digital input selector to the PMD100 in the Rotel.

I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

• Rotel RCD-971 PCM63.png
    Rotel RCD-971 PCM63.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 372
Hello,

It seems like DIN is Digital In (DATA - pin 1), BCKI is Bit Clock In (BCK - pin 2), LRCI is L/R Clock In (LRCK - pin 28). MCK is not needed but you can connect to XTI (pin 6). Of course, disconnect the internal sources of these signals, by using a mechanical or electronic switch.

PMD100 has an MCLK input (pin6) - do you think that the DAC and filter section can run correctly when MCLK (generated by an XTAL inside the player) isn't synchronized to BCK and WS from your external source?

The PMD100 DS says this :

The PMD-100 is designed as a synchronous circuit, which means that it uses a master clock input XTI which is always synchronized with and typically derived from the input data stream.

You need to cut the trace for sure. I was assuming you'd arrange a 5pin connector for the I2S signals and might wish to disconnect your source from the player at some point. If that's never going to happen then the 10k can be omitted.

My plan is to modify the CD player and connect this digital input reciever to the CD player so I can connect and switch between different inputs and still use the CD player as intended, this digital input receiver/switch has I2S, Toslink, Coaxial and AES inputs and I2S output.
What do you think will be the best way to integrate this receiver wih the CD player?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.