Are 24bit/192KHz music files really better than the CD standard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree with your basic argument here.

I, personally, could not tell the difference between a 48 kHz and 96 kHz versions of the same album with original source material recorded and released by the artist at 96. This is important because spectral analysis of many high res popular music releases show they are most likely resampled versions of the 44.1/48 files. I downsampled the 96 kHz files with Foobar PPHS (ultra mode) SRC.

This in untrue in my experience. Some of pop albums are actually upsampled files as you said, but less than 10% of all HiRez files on Qobuz. And if the source master is the same, 44.1K is downsampled version of original HiRez master.

What kind of HiRez service are you using?

Also, IME some people who don't initially hear the difference can learn how to. It becomes possible to hear it blind with some experience, at least for some people. There are other people that hear the differences on their own without any coaching or training. And there are people that are stubbornly oblivious to it. Then there are people that can hear the difference but just don't care about sound quality. I don't know why so many different kinds of ways people listen and why different preferences. I just try to take human nature as I find it rather than demanding explanations that science doesn't have answers for yet.

I agree, but I have one question.

Your reference converter is ESS? I have ESS and Walfson, and I find that the difference between 44.1K and HiRez is much more obvious with ESS. I have an impression that the converter is making more difference than the ears.

I was completely unaware of qobuz. I'll pay the extra to not support MQA- I have a buddy who is an advocate, and sends me things like Robert Harley's writeup in the 9/19 absolute sound. It's labeled "High Res Democratization"- the premise (apart from the marketing lipservice) is that somehow MQA, another proprietary format with no advantage over flac that is licensed at both software and hardware level, is a good thing for the masses.

Yeah... no. Qobuz seems the perfect alternative to paying into the MQA Scam.

Yeah, I feel very sorry someone mentions MQA which I was advocating here before. :(

No need for sadness, we're all on the same team! MQA is purpose-built to mislead people about what they're getting and why, no reason to feel bad about it- and finding qobuz (which will allow me native 96/24 into my digital XO) makes this badman very happy indeed, thank you for sharing it as an option!

No need for sadness, we're all on the same team! MQA is purpose-built to mislead people about what they're getting and why, no reason to feel bad about it- and finding qobuz (which will allow me native 96/24 into my digital XO) makes this badman very happy indeed, thank you for sharing it as an option!

Now it's time to advocate Qobuz to your MQA friend! LOL.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The fact that most people can't hear a sinewave with a frequency of 20 kHz (16 kHz for me) does not mean that we can't perceive a lot faster changes in a transient.

Our hearing is much more sensitive to transients and most transients contains much faster change of amplitude then a 20 kHz sinewave does.

Then there is the factor of how for an example an amplifier handles very fast transients while driving a reactive loudspeaker. Feed a 10 kHz square wave through a normal loudspeaker and watch the result on a oscilloscope coupled to the amp output. It is not very pretty.

Please explain what mechanism in the earbrain can sort out the steepness of the rising part of a sinus and the steepness of a "transient" and, for the transient, increase it's ability to detect a steeper flank then for a sinus. Pretty please.

//

Please explain what mechanism in the earbrain can sort out the steepness of the rising part of a sinus and the steepness of a "transient" and, for the transient, increase it's ability to detect a steeper flank then for a sinus. Pretty please.

//

It's not hard to imagine that our sinus recognition has different properties than a natural sound. Perhaps it's oriented around skin detection acting differently than aural? It's certainly true that we perceive sonic events with more than our ears.

Not advocating for the position, just that mechanisms for sensory perception are more broad, interrelated and complicated than we tend to give them credit for.

For me personally, I have heard better "peak quality" from high res recordings than from CDP (and Vinyl has produced better perceived sound than I've heard from CD as well). I could be fooling myself, entirely possible. I don't mind if that's the case so long as my ear brain keeps feeding me the happy song.

I agree, but I have one question.

Your reference converter is ESS? I have ESS and Walfson, and I find that the difference between 44.1K and HiRez is much more obvious with ESS. I have an impression that the converter is making more difference than the ears.

Assuming that you indeed hear those differences, their dependence on DAC type might mean it is related to intersample overshoots or passband-ripple-related pre-echoes. Does the ESS have a larger passband ripple or less headroom than the Walfson? Are the filters linear phase, minimum phase or something in between?

Assuming that you indeed hear those differences, their dependence on DAC type might mean it is related to intersample overshoots or passband-ripple-related pre-echoes. Does the ESS have a larger passband ripple or less headroom than the Walfson? Are the filters linear phase, minimum phase or something in between?

I have a little complicated digital signal chain and don't use DAC internal filter at 44.1K sampling rate except when testing something. FIR filter at 44.1K is colored to my ears whatever it is, especially on chip filter. I do understand NOS DAC in this regard, and most importantly, this is the reason why I want to avoid 44.1K source. At higher sampling rate, the filter is much less colored, and I can’t really find any meaningful difference between filter types, can you?

Last edited:
my 2 cents.
I play Tidal with Roon interface. The digital transport is Auralic. I am using minidsp 4x10HD (96khz max.) for lxmini. Both Auralic and Roon can do upsampling to the max. khz which the DAC can accept. In this case, I found the SQ is better when playing without upsampling.
However, I am also playing Iancanda 9038 DAC for my fullrage speaker. Also playing with Auralic as Roon Endpoint to Ian 9038. The 9038 DAC can accept much high upsampling rate and DSD files. In this case, I found the SQ is better when playng with upsampling.

So each DAC chip can perform differently when eating different sampling rate in my setup.

I think AK4499 maybe delicious, and tempted to try!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.