Upgrade for Philips CD304

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I was pleasantly surprised when I bought a Philips CD304 for 1 Euro. It sounds as good as my Arcam, so that was a pretty good buy. Of course, the next step would be to improve it.

Are there any suggestions about what I can do to make it sound better?

Arne

Judging by this picture I found on eBay it would be a mark II. Or at least the seller claims his is a mark II and mine is similar if silver.

6d_1_b.JPG

It sasy it is a 304/30 on the back. It reacts to the regular Philips remote and features the headphones output with regulator. At this moment I don't have the time to open it up (and besides, it's playing ;)), but if there is anything else you need to know to know what to do to it, I can provide pictures of the inside probably tomorrow or maybe even tonight.

Arne

disconnect both the ouput and the headphoneamp from the pcb.
Solder new interconnects to the pcb.
Reclock the clocksignal from saa7030 to TDA1540s,or try the clocksignal from the saa7000.

Or just enjoy the machine as it is.It probably beats any TDA1541 machine hands down.....

Hi. I have CD303. Probably with a same set of chips...
when I decided to make some changes in the model
I found the lack of space inside. in original CD303 have even
no feemale rca jacks but cable run from the chases directly
for the example...The unit shows very unpleasent for phisical aproach
too it is very hard to open the chases indeed.When i finely done that
i found the 2x TDA1541 14bit DACs, 1/2 NE5532 IV and 2/2 the low pass filter after that...becouse of practicly no space inside I replace the OP with a Analog Device AD2135 and the Condenser from poor quality signal flowing 22uF electrolytic type with a 2x10uF block polypropylene type per channel...Condensers are glued with a booth side glued tape...fitiing the only one way possibile...And that is all You can do.But I spot the one connector at the input of digital board which is on top and I think that is the digital data bus.I will try to make separate jack at the back (this will be so hard becouse i alredy put 2 jacks ) and tap the completly new converter...
Soun was impoved very much with the upgrade i descibeI forgot to say I put the basements for the OP on board too so You could have to change the op-s optionaly (I put AD21xx becouse I have these at the moment).

wisdom

Hi, i am a complete novice in the field of cd modding (i have good electronics skills)

I've probably bought a cd304 mkII now and am going to mod it

the biggest trouble i have is finding the right opamp to replace the ne5532. Where could i find what to replace it with?

After a lot of webbrowsing, i read reccomends to adapt the power supply first. Any hints for some basic (easy) ways to improve it?

Next: in this thread is a reccomendation to channge te filter caps from 22uf monolythic to 2X 10uF polypropylene. Those are not availeable here. Any other good replacement cap?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You can find enough here on the opamps if you browse the Digital section. OPA2604 is a good allrounder.

About the caps: I use 10 uF Wima MKS caps for such purposes that are not too big and sound reasonably OK certainly compared to most standard electrolytics.

If you really need 22 uF ( which I doubt ) you can parallel 2 of those. There are 10 uF 16 V versions of the Wima with 5 mm pitch but I can't really recommend those. Too much parameters suffer from the size !!!

Need to find the pin-out for Digital-out CD304

Hi,

My technical expertise is not that high but I do need to find the pin-out where I from there solder a coax to the backside of my standard 14bits CD304.
I have an external DAC and I do not wish to use the internal DAC.

All the help of where to find the right spot on the DAC board is very welcome.

I found the headphone lines and voltage line for volume increase.
The power lines where easy to find.
There is one gray coax like cable near SAA7010 But this cable does not tricker the DAC to work. By removing that cable the Cd-player stoped like it found the end of the CD.

Attachments

• cd304.jpg
    cd304.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 787
Hi Bernard,

Okay and what next? I mean somehow the digital information most enter the digital board and it most be somehow possible to get that signal at the backside right. Well beter sad "My DAC most seems to work with that signal right or".

Your reply or any who is able to overwrite the info that Bernard gave me.

:) No hard feeling

Attachments

• dsc00594.jpg
    dsc00594.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 737
I have the schematics for the 104 ,the dac board looks identical.

the long vertical chip in the pic ...go to the top left that is pin 40

pin 37 is dig out and pin 38 is dig ground.

pin 37 of saa7020 feeds pin 4 saa7000 which provides digital l and digital right to the two sets of dac chips

zanash said:
I have the schematics for the 104 ,the dac board looks identical.

the long vertical chip in the pic ...go to the top left that is pin 40

pin 37 is dig out and pin 38 is dig ground.

pin 37 of saa7020 feeds pin 4 saa7000 which provides digital l and digital right to the two sets of dac chips

And pray tell, what format is the data at pin 37 in ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.