Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer
Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2018, 07:50 PM   #1
grimberg is offline grimberg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer

Like so many people around here I routinely sit down with the sole purpose of listening to music. I don't always want to go through an entire album, opting instead for selecting my favorite tunes from different CDs. To be able to play songs without interruption, for many years I used two CD players so I could queue the next song while listening to the current selection.
About 12 years ago, when SlimDevices launched the Squeezebox, I realized that it could be a great way of enjoying music the way I like it, without having to handle the CDs. I converted an old workstation into a dedicated music server and started ripping and storing my entire collection. For me that was the perfect solution.
When I wanted to created a second setup in another area of my house I found out that the Squeezebox had been discontinued. Searching for a solution I learned about the Raspberry Pi and compatible sound cards. I opted for the Wolfson Audio card sold by Element14. It took a bit of effort to make it work the way I wanted, and I eventually replaced the Squeezebox with another Raspberry Pi + Wolfson Audio card setup. The one thing that was still bothering me was the fact that the RPI in a plastic box is so light that the weight of the network and SPDIF cables kept knocking the unit down from the shelf. I created my own custom solution and wanted to share it.

I cut panels to make a case from leftover material used in amplifiers

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-case_pieces_ready-jpg

I assembled the base plate and installed the Raspberry Pi, SMPS, rubber feet and aluminum profiles to hold the side pieces. Even though I mentioned the Wolfson Audio card above, this unit has a Raspberry Pi 3B with a DigiPi+ sound card installed.

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-base_plate_assembled-jpg

The side pieces installed and the back panel ready for mounting

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-side_plates_installed-jpg

The back panel in place

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-back_panel_installed-jpg

The unit is ready to receive the faceplate

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-ready_for_faceplate-jpg

The unit fully assembled and connected

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-front_view-jpg

The fully assembled unit viewed from another angle

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-rear_view-jpg

The cover in place

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer-case_with_cover-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Case_pieces_ready.jpg (198.3 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg Base_plate_assembled.jpg (228.0 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg Side_plates_installed.jpg (241.9 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg Back_panel_installed.jpg (256.5 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg Ready_for_faceplate.jpg (227.6 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg Front_view.jpg (278.7 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg Rear_view.jpg (248.3 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg Case_with_cover.jpg (266.7 KB, 454 views)
Old 29th April 2018, 07:20 AM   #2
hifix is offline hifix  Australia
diyAudio Member

Very nice!
Old 29th April 2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Bix is offline Bix  Australia
diyAudio Member

Great work, it looks fantastic. May I ask what tools were used for the construction please? How did you make the cuts?

Last edited by Bix; 29th April 2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 29th April 2018, 05:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys! I am glad you enjoyed it.
I cut the aluminum on the table saw using a Freud blade for non-ferrous metal. The "L" shape profiles were also cut on the table saw using the miter gauge. For the holes I used a drill press. The pieces were then finished with a palm sander using 3M wet/dry sandpaper, grits 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200. The photo shows the aluminum plate used to make the Pumpkin pre-amplifier case. For this project I used leftover material from other projects.

Click the image to open in full size.

I used this project to exercise mirror finish polishing. The case is not anodized, which makes it impractical to have this kind of finish if the music streamer were to be frequently handled. That is not the case, as the only thing that will be often touched is the power button.
In about a year or so from now, when the surfaces develop a patina that will make them look a little dull, I should have acquired powder coating equipment to refinish the cases in satin black.
Old 30th April 2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Bix is offline Bix  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Grimberg for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it. I've made a few enclosures from recycled parts found at the local tip shop. Coat of paint and a new wooden face plate. The results have been average but very cheap, get the job done. Recently I've been looking around for local (Australian) ready made enclosure options, which are very few. Most of the more interesting designs are available internationally but with the added hefty shipping expense. So I think I will pursue a diy approach and make my own. Thanks very much for posting your pics and detailing your build, it has given me the push I needed. Keep up the good work, I'll keep an eye out for your next installent.
Old 30th April 2018, 08:44 AM   #6
multi is offline multi  Australia
diyAudio Member

I need to make box to sit on the top of the main chassis to house fans to cool ceramic Triodes.
Thanks for your ideas
Phil
Old 30th April 2018, 06:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

In case you guys are interested, a while back I posted pictures of other custom built enclosures. Follow the link below to see the case built to house the Pumpkin pre-amplifier along with the Shunty regulator.

Pumpkin Preamp - Perfect for F4

The next link points to pictures of the M2 clone amplifier case built around Conrad Engineering's (Australia) heat sinks.

Official M2 schematic
Old 30th April 2018, 06:29 PM   #8
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

That's impressive you did this with a table saw and drill press.

Nice work!!
Old 30th April 2018, 07:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention the router. I used it to give a round contour to the faceplate's corners. It was a minor but important participation.

Last edited by grimberg; 30th April 2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 30th April 2018, 07:42 PM   #10
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimberg View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention the router. I used it give a round contour to the faceplate's corners. It was a minor but important participation.
Ohhh, you cheated

Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamerHide this!Advertise here!