clockfrequency Philips DVD 963SA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Philips DVD963SA

Guido Tent said:
Hi

The clock architecture of 963 is a mess

The SACD clock stms from a LL chip driven by the clock from the drive (yuck). Furthermore, 2 other crystal clocks are present, and too many gates control all the clocks

I am figuring out how to improve all this. Will keep you updated

best regards
Guido,
This does not appeal to me as a sound recommandation for this product made by your employer!
LL does mean?
I hold my breath for your update.

:confused: :bawling:

The 33.8688MHz for the SACD/CD DAC... (If I havent get wrong full frequency and half frequency cut off)

The 24.5760MHz for the Upsampling chips...

And there have the 27.000MHz for the DVD encoder chip... at the transport...

You know what still have the 8.4672MHz for the cotroller chip at the bottom of the Transport... but leave it alone!

;)

Re: Philips DVD963SA

Elso Kwak said:

Guido,
This does not appeal to me as a sound recommandation for this product made by your employer!
LL does mean?
I hold my breath for your update.

:confused: :bawling:

Hi Elso

Can't help it, I am into DVD +RW product development....

The 963 is a lot of function for money, som decent upgrades on clock and supply wouyd make it a killer, it contains decent opamps and a true AD1955 for the FRONT channels (so forget about normal stereo outputs)

LL should be PLL.....

regards
-
Guido

DVD963SA audio clocks

I have done some measurements on the clock circuit of my DVD963....

A high-quality AD1955 audio DA-converter is used for the left and right Front channels. The 'master clock' of this chip (pin 27)
is 16.9MHz for CD-audio playback, 12.28MHz for DVD 5.1 audio, and 11.28MHz for MP3 and SACD playback.
This latter frequency is not generated with a nice crystal oscillator on the audio board, but seems to originate from a PLL circuit at the main driver-and-video board, passing through connectors and selection gates.
A low-jitter clock circuit upgrade should definitely bring audible improvement.

Jaap said:
:att'n: :att'n:
Allen Wright is going to do an upgrade for the 963 (see his website). What do you think ? I believe that his work on the sony machines is outstanding. Perhaps we should have him doing the difficult work ?
:devily:

Hi,

Rely on Allen, I know him and his sound for a while

Allen focusses on SACD at this stage. You can easilly change that clock but that does not yield the best result as many gates and buffers are increasing jitter again (like Jos has stated above)

I am considering a circuit that upgrades CD and SACD clock at the best way

I will call Allen to see if we can join forces, or at least make sure upgrades remain complementary.

all the best

saffier said:
Hi Guido,

Any update on the 963SA upgrade/tweak of the clock and PSU?

Thanks,

Saffier

Hi

Protoype of clock upgrade will be evaluated this week. Also bussy on the SACD1000 supply, the DVD963SA supply will become spin off of that.

Lack of time is main problem right now. There is many other prodcuts on the way (non-digital that is)

Thanks for interest

regard

saffier said:
Hi Guido,

Where can I find out about the projects you work on and offer. Do you have a website where I can find them or do you offer them through Allen Wright and/or Brian Cherry?
Most interested in your products!

Regards,

Saffier

Hi Saffier,

The website is being build right now. The lack of time is however limiting progress (I have a regular 40 hours+ at Philips and am doing so many new products right now). Brian is my HK distributor, Allen is, besides a friend, someone I share many thoughts with.

Drop me a mail off-line, and I'll send some docs. Main work so far is the famous DAC with low jitter clock recovery and recclocking of all signals entering the DAC:

http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dactop.htm

besides that I offer a range of clocks, startg from a DIY module to a fuly equiped board with super low noise power supply and SPDIF reclocking circuit for external DACs. In addition I offer worlds first clock upgrade for DACs......

Upcoming are power supplies and dedicated (read optimised) clock and power supply upgrades for Philips 963 and 1000.

Ciao

963SA question....

I'm getting ready to mod my 963SA and have read the threads with great interest. Thanks to all that have done so much research on these mods!

I'm a little unclear on the comment that Guido made below. He said all channels are affected by the LM833? That would include the main channels in the multi channel output too, correct? If so, will a OPA2134 replace it with out a problem? I'm also planning on replacing the AD8032 with a AD8066. Is it a straight drop in or does it need a bypass cap?

Also, where is the AD8022? I'll be darned if I can find it. Any suggestions for a better chip than this one?

Thank for the help!

Jim

Guido Tent said:

All channels LM833 (yuck), front channels use AD 8032 (much better), and AD8022 I/V converters, fed by AD1955 DAC (very nice)

figure which channel sounds best.....

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.