HDMI to AES/EBU

Hi,

Is there a way to convert HDMI Audio to digital AES/EBU?

Yeah, I know it exists a way, with the ARVUS HDMI-2A (which costs a fortune = USD$1.865) and with the Motu HDX-SDi (that requieres a PC for working). I also know a simpler way of having an "all digital" setup from source to reproduction is by having a PC and use a MiniDSP U-DIO8.

First, why do you need AES/EBU? Well, I want to buy HypeX Fusion Amp or MiniDSP ICEpowered plate amps... both have AES/EBU digital input, so it's a great way to avoid the Analog to Digital Converter, but without losing the possibility of using HDMI sources (PS5, XBOX, Bluray, etc.)

But... is there a cheaper simple way?

Would it be possible that I Can use a Blackmagic (or AJA) mini converter to go from HDMI to SDI with 8 channels of audio embedded and then use another mini converter to "de embed" the audio to AES/EBU?

These converters look very well designed, made with PRO market in mind. Also, cost is not that high for used items (maybe USD$100 ea.) , a lot cheaper than get a Meridian Audio HDMI Processor (HD621 or newer)

Hell, one of these converters also offers the possibility to load a "17 point LUT" to the SDI signal, which you can reconvert to HDMI and have it color corrected!

So, what am I missing here? Loss in performance? Jitter? Insane lag and sync issues

It would be great to know your opinion.

NOTE: I understand the audio processing must be done in the source, so output is PCM and I am limited to 8 channels (no Atmos here).

Cheer!

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Neither of those links show products that appear to do what you want. The problem is that HDMI requires a license to get to the full feature set as it's DRM'd to the hilt. That's why MiniDSP don't do an HDMI to SPDIF box. Cost vs revenue doesn't stack up, even if the license terms allowed it.

We are screwed for getting full bit-rate digital audio out of HDMI without spending $$$

My way around this was an Oppo 203 with a Vanity HD card. This gives you 7.1 AES or Spdif. Unfortunately neither of these devices are available anymore.
But I believe JVB digital still do some mod kits to extract Spdif from various Blu Ray players..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
At work we do the HDMI to SDI conversion all the time. And vice-versa. Once you get to SDI there are devices that will break out the digital audio. It might be a little pricey, tho.
Also, if the is HDCP the convertor will not allow you to go to SDI, since it is unencrypted.

EDIT: We also use HDMI audio extractors, but usually to analog. There are plenty that go HDMI to TOSLINK but HDMI to SPDIF coax is harder to find.
Here is one: 1080P HDMI to SPDIF Optical 4K RCA L/R Analog Audio Extractor Converter Splitter | eBay

You can put a simple 75/110 ohm SPDIF/AES transformer inline to convert to AES. If the cable is short many AES/EBU inputs are perfectly happy with RCA to XLR cables to drive the inputs. It's worth a try.

What devices do you use exactly to extract digital audio?

Also, if the signal is HDCP protected the audio can't be extracted no matter what? I think I've read somewhere that if it is 48kHz or lower in sample rate, it can be extracted.

On the other hand... Playstation 4/5 AV signal is not HDCP protected as far as I know -or at least you can turn it off- so This is still applicable if you want to extract signal from game consoles and non-HDCP protected signal (like HTPC)... I think.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good question on the HDCP. I don't know as we avoid it like the plague in live A/V. It certainly blocks HD video but does not block analog audio extraction. Digital audio I do not know.

We use video recorders that can take an SDI signal in and output analog or digital audio. Also the Black Magic boxes can do the same. But you need not go that far I think. Try an HDMI to SPDIF box, they are cheap enough.

SPDIF does 2 channel uncompressed, or 5.1 channel compressed audio. So you could probably do 5.1 compressed spdif if you wanted. If so, I believe there is a minidsp product that is optical spdif to 5.1 coax spdif. Depending on your source that could work.

I think uncompressed aes would sound better. Been trying to figure out a solution myself. Settled on a Aja HA5 hdmi to sdi / Aja 12g am (or 3g am). This should get you hdmi to uncompressed 8 channel aes. However still need to circumvent DRM. From what I understand, HDCP is like a handshake. The source needs whatever it's sending that DRM protected HDMI signal to to confirm, or it won't play drm. The workaround is to put a $30 HDMI audio extractor (has ins and outs) off amazon,and just don't use the outs. It still keeps pure signal, raw pcm etc, just does the handshake. After that you can run your hdmi to the converters and won't have drm issues. Anyways, that's my plan. Hopefully it'll work.

Amazon HDMI extractors only output 48kHz digital audio. No high res.

Lossy compression and or ASRC to 48kHz is done by the sending device based on information supplied by the receiver. Licenses for high res and or uncompressed HDMI are only sold to big companies under strict NDA. Workarounds are not legal in the US, maybe its different in some other places.

Last edited:
Amazon HDMI extractors only output 48kHz digital audio. No high res.

Lossy compression and or ASRC to 48kHz is done by the sending device based on information supplied by the receiver. Licenses for high res and or uncompressed HDMI are only sold to big companies under strict NDA. Workarounds are not legal in the US, maybe its different in some other places.

Theoratically 48Khz is enough when using it for multichannel HT usage, right? after all, all the soundtracks have a sample rate of 48kHz.

48kHz is okay is theory. My concern would be for on-the-fly digital ASRC in the source device. Windows sound engine doesn't do a very good job of it, if that's any example. A well designed hardware ASRC (which IME is not that trivial to implement) could IME audibly help.

There may still be lossy compression to deal with as well. All in all, I would prefer multi-channel asynchronous USB in cases where it is feasible. Much easier to preserve original SQ.

OTOH, if trying to get multi-channel surround from a TV or similar, so far as I know there is not a great diy solution.

That looks great, pity about the price. I suspect after its optioned up to the multichannel i2s version it will be about 4-5K and you still need a dac!! This optionally has i2s output, which i'm not sure could contain any kind of encryption? so this is a bit of an interesting turn in the licensing world, as you could presumably just tap the outputs and record.