HDMI to AES/EBU

Yeah, i'd be interested to see if it is really extracting 8 ch i2s from hdmi, rather than just taking the 2 channels PCM and converting it to 8. Is it seen as an 8 ch audio card by the rpi, or any computer with HDMI? I guess thats the rub, it will extract 8 x PCM from something that is decoded, but not an actual interface. Intrigued though, as its the first ive seen of these that appears to be confirmed to do 8 x 192khz PCM output.
Raspberry Pi / x86 PC both see it as an audio device w/ 8 channels and can be configured through software to send 8 discreet audio channels at 24bit/192. Just like any other 8ch, 24/192 capable sound card.

48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz, 384kHz, 768kHz
x48fs is an abbreviation for all frame-sync (fs) 48x multiples, as opposed to 44.1. fs can also refer to frames/s. either could apply here, but I was referring to frame sync. (FS is also referred to in i2s as LRCK sometimes)

I presume its capable of the others, up to and including 192kHz, or is it just 192kHz?

Last edited:
Yeah, i'd be interested to see if it is really extracting 8 ch i2s from hdmi, rather than just taking the 2 channels PCM and converting it to 8. Is it seen as an 8 ch audio card by the rpi, or any computer with HDMI? I guess thats the rub, it will extract 8 x PCM from something that is decoded, but not an actual interface. Intrigued though, as its the first ive seen of these that appears to be confirmed to do 8 x 192khz PCM output.
It is extracting 8 channels. I have tested it connecting my PC HDMI to the board, and play some 8 channel content with pot player, and then connecting the different I2S outputs to a DAC. Different DATA pins play Left, Right, Center, SL, SR, subwoofer, SBL and SBR channels.

I also have another tiny board that only extract stereo PCM from HDMI signal.

I finally got my MOTU V4HD in, and it converts 8 channel SDI to 8 channel ADAT no problem! The issue is that it doesn't recognize the signal from the 'Audio Only' port of the audio extractor I got from Aliexpress. I think it's because the video signal from it is 60.5Hz; (at least that's what my LG TV says).

So I'm limited to 720p until I find an audio extractor (or matrix/down-scaler) I'm reasonably sure with output an acceptable frame rate. (Also, the fan on the V4HD is a bit annoying. I'm wondering if I could swap it out for a quieter one.)

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. It's outputted from an HDMI port with a video signal, and the audio format seems to be exactly the same as standard PCM HDMI audio. The 'Audio Only' port works fine with my old Yamaha receiver, and it will report PCM as well.

Here's the diagnostic screen from my LG UM7300 for 'Audio Only':
1645933492930.png

Versus a standard 720 signal:
68F8DEFC-FE4D-4709-BA02-BEDD10677584.jpeg

It's 'HD-SDI', and 720p works fine when using a normal signal (shown on the lower HDMI Diagnostics screen). The signal light on the AJA converter turns on with 'Audio Only', so I think it's an issue with the V4HD.

Anyway, I don't think there's any way for me to get this audio extractor working with my setup, so I'll have to try something else.