Arylic Up2Stream Pro V3 cannot connect to DAC

Mate….

You have WOWed me – Thank you!!! I am shamed.

I have not been slack. I am not backing out…I do not have 3.5mm PC speakers. My audio system is ALL Pro Audio XLR.

BUT I found a crappy set of headphones 3.5mm. I did get sound from the Up2Stream Pro. The 3.5mm out put jack was a little bad as I had to move it out from the fully in to get sound.

I connected it to the Gustard digital Audio interface – NOTHING.

Connected the Up2Stream to the DAC direct and it worked.

I am a little disappointed with the 44.1 Hz when I normally listen to 96,000. But I suppose this is the price to pay for convenience.

I tried the internet radio. I live in the bush and the internet is at best ****…so the stations were less than OK, they kept disappearing. I am assuming therefore the status bar (Under the name of the radio station) is not moving.

I tried a few Internet Radio stations, including Linn from the UK and it too was patchy.

Thank you for your encouragement.

I think for me: the internet radio via my phone is a failure. It should not, as it is a Samsung Galaxy S6 connected to the Wi-Fi – another thing I am not understanding.

The average quality of the device (I should have read the specs), is a little less than I expected.

I do have a question for all you clever clogs: if I am taking the SPIDF from the device, why does it have a bit rate and Hz, surely this is determined by the source (MM5 sent via wi-fi). Am I now using my DAC??

I played Black Sabbath Paranoid 24bit 96,000…but it was only showing as 44.1? (I also like classical, rock, ambient...but no country and western)

Any idea why my digital audio interface will not work with the Device??

Yes, I think I have missed something in my audio education.

Well, I am amazed that it is finally working.

THANK YOU….

Last edited:
Great news. Well done for persevering.

So, now that we know that the Arylic device is fundamentally working, the rest is configuration and fine tuning.

How have you tried connecting the Arylic to the Gustard? Looking at the back of the Gustard, you have lots of options. Have you tried both the coax and optical connections?

As I understand it, the Arylic device will 'relay' the bit depth and frequency of the source, so if you are only getting 44.1 out, it suggests that you are only putting in 44.1. In which case, assuming you are outputting from your PC, you will need to check the output settings of your PC and of Media Monkey.

Step 1 taken, more steps to be taken.

Hi Guys.

Thank you again. Thanks for the link to the other thread.

I read the other thread and all remarkably interesting. You guys really know your stuff.

OK, we are stuck at 44.1 kHz and 16bit. While I suppose our hearing is the limitation, it is a shame to have 24bit/96kHz music and Up2Stream Pro V3 is limiting the experience.

It was an interesting journey. Seems like the guys who really know are in there making things happen.

I will have to remain a passenger on this journey.

Really interesting and I got the device to work. If I can find an RCA plug, I will try that. But once you have danced with the Dark Side (Pro Audio), one throws away the RCA’s.

Thank you all….

Adding to above….it seems that others are a little underwhelmed at the 16bit 44.1kHz performance. So I have 3 questions:

1. Will Arylic have a better performing board, since this is V03
2. Can we (not me as this is way above my abilities) make the board perform better
3. Is there another alternative.

Thank you again.

Hi Guys,

Your help and knowledge has been unbelievably valuable.

I have been thinking of a solution, as the Up2Stream is not what I would call High Res…

I would like to ask for your assistance again, with suggestions, but mainly for the correct terminology.

I want to remain in the Windows environment – Linx/Pi is just too hard for me.

I would like to control the audio from my work PC as I do spend too much time in the office. So that means Media Monkey, that I have proved can work with Up2stream that I do not want to use.

I would like to send the audio (MM can send internal player, Up2Stream – whatever we call this…what do we call this device – TV and other devices that I do not know the terms for.

Can you help with the terminology?

Send digital audio via ethernet or wi-fi (I am not a fan of Bluetooth) to a device (whatever it is called), it receives the digital information and sends this to my DAC or Digital Audio Interface.

I am sure there is a solution, but I am too silly to know all the terms.

Thank you.

Linux/Pi is just too hard for me.
Yes, the various DIY streamer solutions usually involve manual software configuration, and this is usally (but not always) via the Linux command line.
So I think commercial solutions are your best path forward. A well known and well regarded streamer is the Bluesound NODE 2i -
NODE 2i - Bluesound
But it's not cheap; several retailers in Australia have it for AU$900.

My own streaming solution is DIY - a BeagleBone Black running Music Player Daemon - but if I was to buy commercial I like the look of the iEAST products -
HOME - iEAST
The Stream Pro M30 is 99 Euros + 24 Euros delivery (or 48 Euros express) from Audiophonics -
IEAST SOUNDSTREAM PRO M30 Media Player UPNP USB DLNA AirPlay Wifi RJ45 Multiroom ES9023 - Audiophonics

or the Nord Easy-Stream Connect Pro V3 is 159 GBP + 55 GBP delivery
Nord Easy-Stream Connect Pro V3 | nordacoustics

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The terminology part is easy--just look up "DLNA". As described in the link referenced 3 times in this thread, these devices are "renderers" in DLNA lingo.

You won't get higher data rates unless the renderer can negotiate that format with the server. That takes software that the Linkplay A31 module doesn't currently doesn't have, and it would also require a programmable clock to output at the data at these alternate rates. The A31 product is intended for cost-sensitive fixed clock applications, and it is used in many affordable "smart speaker" products. Even though the module *could* output audio at higher rates, it would take some serious HW and software mods to pull it off. As a minimum, you would need the Linkplay software development kit, which is going to be a lot more cryptic than Linux/Pi. Linkplay has other modules that may support higher data rates more easily--these newer modules would be a better starting point.

But I'm guessing that the WiFi speakers advertising higher data rates are using the WiFi chipsets from Qualcomm rather than Linkplay. That seems likely to me because speakers like the Bluesound Node 2i also support Qualcomm's Bluetooth aptX HD, which requires a Qualcomm license.

Hi Guys

Thank you.

In summary, unless I want to spend big money, I best stay with what I have and run cords.

I liked the operation of the Up2Stream Pro V3 and it worked sort of what I want, but seems like all devices are rebranded same hardware and limited to 16bit-44.1kHz. So it goes in the drawer.

I spent a lot of time over the weekend reading and it seemed that regardless of the function sending or receiving the boxes were called streamers. Also windows seems to get the cold shoulder with these “streamers”.

Thanks again. I will wait and see if some clever person comes up with what (I know the terminology is not right, but I still find the terminology alien) “receives’ my digital signal from my windows box.

I think and I am not certain….as Neil said…I think a digital “receiver” like the Up2Stream Pro is a RENDERER….

I think this is what I need…I think

Thanks
D

PS... I started to search "turn my windows 10 PC into a renderer"...still looking - mostly turns up ..my PC into server - I think I have a server.

Last edited:
The iEAST product line is very similar to the Arylic product line, using the same Linkplay A31 board
Yes ... but I'm fairly sure that iEAST doesn't use the Linkplay module for DLNA/uPnP rendering - there are several references online to their DLNA rendering being capable of 24/192, including the Audiophonics webpage -
Features:
UPNP DLNA receiver (High resolution 24bit / 192 Khz)

Specifications
Sampling rate: Up to 24bit / 192kHz (DLNA / UPNP reception)
This makes sense, since the DLNA specification is publicly available, and I suspect that iEAST uses an opensource DLNA renderer application like minidlna, reserving the Linkplay module for proprietary receiver functions such as Spotify and Airplay.

Hi Linuxfan and others

The iEast looks great. The specs look good as well. But there is this worry, the photo on the Audiophonics website looks very much like the Up2Streamer Pro V03. The Up2Steamer also had respectable specs on the website, but in reality 16bit44.1kHz.

I am a little worried what it will deliver in the real world. But it looks great - call me a conservative - but it looks like a Up2Streamer in a nice box.

Anyone have one?

Thanks

The iEast looks great. The specs look good as well.
but it looks like a Up2Streamer in a nice box.
Well as I said in the previous post, yes, there's a Linkplay/Up2Streamer module in there, but I'm fairly certain there's another mini-computer in there as well, which will handle DLNA rendering.
What this means for you, the end user, is that your Spotify, Airplay, and Tidal streams will all be limited to 44.1kHz, but DLNA streams should go as high as 24/192. And since you seem to be mainly concerned with playing local audio files, this probably meets your requirements.

If you're interested enough, send them an email - sales@ieast.net - and specifically ask: Does the Stream Pro M30's DLNA renderer natively handle 24 bit 192kHz streams, and in such cases will the s/pdif output also be 24/192 ?

I started to search "turn my windows 10 PC into a renderer"...still looking - mostly turns up ..my PC into server - I think I have a server.
It sounds like you don't have a firm grasp of the network audio model. The components are:
- music server
- NAS (or some other form of data storage, even local)
- controller (AKA client)
- renderer (AKA endpoint)

These different components can be individual hardware devices, or the functions bundled, or even all functions running on a single computer.
MediaMonkey running on a personal computer is all of the above; music data store / server / controller / renderer.

Hi Linuxfan

Thank you.

As you suggested I have emailed Ieast about their Streamer Pro M30’s. I have asked them the question you suggested.

Today I came across another term – Network Player. One was a Lin and the other was Bricasti M5 – both cost more than the car I drive.

jordyS, you're referring to the Arylic Up2Stream Mini/Pro, which we were discussing at an early stage in this thread.
But the s/pdif output that I was talking about more recently in post #33 is that of the iEAST Stream Pro M30 which, although it contains an Up2Stream board, has a separate mainboard/processor, with its own s/pdif interface. The attached photo shows the optical s/pdif connector (red arrow) and behind it a Wolfson WM8805 s/pdif interface chip (green arrow).

Attachments

• Stream-Pro-M30-internal.jpg
    Stream-Pro-M30-internal.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
A31 audio output rate (for up2Stream, Ieast M30, LinkPlay...)

Hi guys!
I've several modules from Up2Stream (mini & pro v3) Ieast (M30 pro) , A31 linkplay EVB kit/board, and genuine Linkplay Wifi renderer boards. They all share the linkplay A31 Wifi/Ethernet/USB/SD/I2S base around the chip MT 7688. It's used as a slave module of the MCU board that would interface with the DAC, remote, keys, leds, etc. The output rate of the 'raw' digital audio signal (I2S) provided by the A31 module to all intefaces is limited by the A31 software itself. It sends it's capabilities to the streaming source, or decodes from the USB/SD file up to 192khz/24bits in the best cases, but will downscale and render the audio stream in the 44.1khz 16 bit format. You can check this on the SPDIF output of the M30 for instance if your amp displays the format of the optical signal. This also clearly appears in the Arylic products specs "(connector) 3: SPDIF, MCLK, IIS_DATA, BCLK, LRCK, GND, VCC_3V3: This is the digital audio output extension. For the IIS, BCLK is 2.8MHz, the LRCK is 44.1KHz, the DOUT .../...16 bits depth. ..." It's frustating but here is no way around this without cracking the code and changing the clock reference...

Hi Linuxfan

Thank you.

As you suggested I have emailed Ieast about their Streamer Pro M30’s. I have asked them the question you suggested.

Today I came across another term – Network Player. One was a Lin and the other was Bricasti M5 – both cost more than the car I drive.

Hi,
I hope you haven’t given up on the Up2Stream.
I find it an amazing bang for buck Audio device.

I read with interest your confusion and maybe I can help here.

Your Music resides on your PC and the program you are using should have your music available over the Network through the DNLA protocol (which media monkey is)
You had some complaints about the 4STREAM app on your phone. Just think of this as a remote control to access your music. This is the best way of getting your music into your Dac/HIFI.

The Up2Stream looks for DNLA servers on your network and it also has access to a range of internet music providers eg Tidal/Spotify.

You select the music you want to play on the 4STREAM app, your media monkey will be displayed under “Browse”, “My Music”, “Home Music Share”.

That will list your music files and you just pick the one you want to play.

My Up2Stream access my DNLA servers on 4 separate PC’s. And I feed the SPDIF to a separate Dac which feeds my valve amp and I am mightly impressed.

Ok it takes 24/192 and drops the output to 16/44.1 (CD quality which is still good) remember a lot of Hi Res isn’t actually HiRes but upsampled 16/44.1 files.

I think if you revisit this device, you will realise how flexible this little box is.

Best Wishes