Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Multi Channel Analog Output DAC
Multi Channel Analog Output DAC
Multi Channel Analog Output DAC Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2019, 04:16 AM   #1
latreche34 is offline latreche34  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Multi Channel Analog Output DAC

We are planing on using Audacity's multi track feature to lay down 4 stereo channels from digital files but we need a USB DAC device that can communicate with Audacity via USB and output all 4 stereo channels (or 8 mono tracks) separately but all at the same time and converts them to separate analog line level outputs with no mixing just separate channels with 8 RCA output connectors or 4 1/4" stereo output jacks.

What that device would be and where can we get it? Accepting 44.1/16 files only is okay since our source files are 44.1/16 anyway.

I'm helping an old school friend who's recording 8-track tapes (in 2019), We have a modified 8-track machine with 8 track head (8 heads stacked in a singe housing, it was hard to find) so recording 8 tracks is done in one pass and we added 4 stereo record head pre-amps from other 8-track machines each pre-amp is equipped with 2 RCA line level inputs (total 8) and record level knobs.
Old 25th December 2019, 07:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anyone used 8 track reel to reel for analog multi track recording using a computer and an audio interface can shade some light here?
Old 25th December 2019, 07:51 PM   #3
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

8x8 usb i/o is pretty much a commodity. This, OTOH, is just a DAC
Old 25th December 2019, 10:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What software works best with the U-DAC8 for laying down audio tracks and stream all at once separately thru USB?

I also find a similar product here: ESI - GIGAPORT HD+
Old 25th December 2019, 10:48 PM   #5
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Not for me to say. I'm strictly technical not creative. Only ever used Audacity and the Adobe one before it was Adobe. And it was not for anything serious. That being said, I see no reason either option wouldn't work with Audacity.
Old 25th December 2019, 11:18 PM   #6
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A local radio station here uses an M-audio Delta 1010LT for that, but I think it has a PCI rather than a USB interface. The professional version is called the same, but without the LT.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I got an e-mail from GIGAPORT HD+ support telling me that Audacity wouldn't work because it's a stereo software, it doesn't playback more than two tracks at a time, So what is the easiest multi track software that I can get for either free or cheap enough for the task, I'm not a sound engineer so my knowledge in multi track software is very limited.

Here is the exact copy of the e-mail:

Quote:
thank you for your inquiry.

Audacity is a Stereo (2 channel) software application, if you want to play out 8 independent tracks at the same time.
You need a software application that support the ASIO 2.0 driver, a DAW, like Bitwig, Cubase or ProTools……

Mit freundlichen Gren / Best regards

Last edited by latreche34; 31st December 2019 at 12:29 AM.

Multi Channel Analog Output DACHide this!Advertise here!