Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

What resistor to use?
What resistor to use?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 09:40 PM   #1
Sagen is offline Sagen  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oslo
Default What resistor to use?

Hi, I have a dac ( Henry Dac MK3 ).
I want to change the resistors on the output.
The analoge line from chip to RCA.
It have now a surfes monted resistor ( 470R ).
I list up some here, what to use for best ( clean sound without coloring and low noise ).


Audio Note Silver Tantalum.
Shinkoh Tantalum.
Charcroft Z-foil.
Holco Metal Films.
Kiwame Carbon Film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2019, 01:46 AM   #2
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
A good metal film should be the cleanest. However, probably the the resistor isn't the biggest problem with the dac sound quality.

Schematic is at the end of:
https://www.henryaudio.com/uploads/fact_sheet_mkII.pdf

DAC Chip data sheet shows the output resistors on page 15:
https://www.akm.com/content/dam/docu...-datasheet.pdf
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2019, 03:16 AM   #3
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
wlowes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagen View Post
Hi, I have a dac ( Henry Dac MK3 ).
I want to change the resistors on the output.
The analoge line from chip to RCA.
It have now a surfes monted resistor ( 470R ).
I list up some here, what to use for best ( clean sound without coloring and low noise ).


Audio Note Silver Tantalum.
Shinkoh Tantalum.
Charcroft Z-foil.
Holco Metal Films.
Kiwame Carbon Film.
Of these I would bet on the Z-foil.

I tried several in an I/V resistor for DAC output.
Takman metal foil, reasonable.
Shinkoh Tantalum terrible.
Kiwame Carbon Film colored.
Amtrans Carbon. Terrible
Bulk foil - pretty good.
Finally self made manganin wonderful. The clean, clear, NO noise you seek.
I believe Rhopoint makes some commercially that you can buy although I have not used them personally.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2019, 03:41 AM   #4
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Cambridge UK
Any metal film should do. For surface mount that means thin-film, _not_ thick-film. Larger in size is good within reason (ie rate dissipation limit generously). If the existing resistors are large thin film SMT there's no reason to change.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2019, 04:20 AM   #5
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
Of these I would bet on the Z-foil.

I tried several in an I/V resistor for DAC output.
Takman metal foil, reasonable.
Shinkoh Tantalum terrible.
Kiwame Carbon Film colored.
Amtrans Carbon. Terrible
Bulk foil - pretty good.
Finally self made manganin wonderful. The clean, clear, NO noise you seek.
I believe Rhopoint makes some commercially that you can buy although I have not used them personally.
More details please....what do you mean by terrible, and could you describe the diy Manganin resistors please.


Thanks, Dan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2019, 02:35 PM   #6
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
wlowes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
More details please....what do you mean by terrible, and could you describe the diy Manganin resistors please.


Thanks, Dan.
It has been a while, but from memory I'd say the sound was distorted. Kind of smeared/fuzzy. I was disappointed because I had read that the original AN resistors were special, so I had high hopes. But not in that application for me.
I was actually surprised that there was any difference in sound based on resistors, but in certain applications, I now believe there is more to be gained from resistor selection than from capacitors.
In the old blog section, I described the Manganin resistor creation. Let me know if that answers your question.
2013 Holiday Projects - Ridding the system of resistor problems - diyAudio
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 02:32 AM   #7
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
It has been a while, but from memory I'd say the sound was distorted. Kind of smeared/fuzzy. I was disappointed because I had read that the original AN resistors were special, so I had high hopes. But not in that application for me.
Ok thanks.



Quote:
I was actually surprised that there was any difference in sound based on resistors, but in certain applications, I now believe there is more to be gained from resistor selection than from capacitors.
Agreed that resistors 'sound' more than is generally accepted.
I run 75R coax as speaker cables with 75R terminating (shunt) resistors at each end and have compared MF to CF in this application.
The MF sound clear and benign, I found the CF sounded quite coloured, 'warm' sounding but definitely coloured and slightly 'dirty'.

Standard theory would have us believe that there should be no audible difference however I found the differences to be clearly audible with the MF resistors much preferable.


Quote:
In the old blog section, I described the Manganin resistor creation. Let me know if that answers your question.
2013 Holiday Projects - Ridding the system of resistor problems - diyAudio
Glad you had such success !.
BTW the second photo in the blog does not expand, ie stays as thumbnail.


Dan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 07:13 AM   #8
Sagen is offline Sagen  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oslo
Markw4: As you say the resistor would not do miricals ( :

New dac will do a better job.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


What resistor to use?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speaker output resistor+cap burned, value of resistor?? towlieee Class D 7 5th June 2019 06:12 PM
Resistor placement of L-pad and single resistor presscot Multi-Way 3 7th December 2015 10:31 AM
Which resistor type for emitter resistor? sajti Parts 25 8th April 2009 07:12 AM
PPI Art 600.2 - Resistor value? manina Car Audio 4 22nd September 2008 10:27 PM
screen-plate resistor and grid leak resistor metebalci Tubes / Valves 4 26th February 2004 04:18 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki