What resistor to use?

Hi, I have a dac ( Henry Dac MK3 ).
I want to change the resistors on the output.
The analoge line from chip to RCA.
It have now a surfes monted resistor ( 470R ).
I list up some here, what to use for best ( clean sound without coloring and low noise ).

Audio Note Silver Tantalum.
Shinkoh Tantalum.
Charcroft Z-foil.
Holco Metal Films.
Kiwame Carbon Film.

wlowes

2007-03-18 1:44 pm
Toronto
Hi, I have a dac ( Henry Dac MK3 ).
I want to change the resistors on the output.
The analoge line from chip to RCA.
It have now a surfes monted resistor ( 470R ).
I list up some here, what to use for best ( clean sound without coloring and low noise ).

Audio Note Silver Tantalum.
Shinkoh Tantalum.
Charcroft Z-foil.
Holco Metal Films.
Kiwame Carbon Film.
Of these I would bet on the Z-foil.

I tried several in an I/V resistor for DAC output.
Takman metal foil, reasonable.
Shinkoh Tantalum terrible.
Kiwame Carbon Film colored.
Amtrans Carbon. Terrible
Bulk foil - pretty good.
Finally self made manganin wonderful. The clean, clear, NO noise you seek.
I believe Rhopoint makes some commercially that you can buy although I have not used them personally.

Of these I would bet on the Z-foil.

I tried several in an I/V resistor for DAC output.
Takman metal foil, reasonable.
Shinkoh Tantalum terrible.
Kiwame Carbon Film colored.
Amtrans Carbon. Terrible
Bulk foil - pretty good.
Finally self made manganin wonderful. The clean, clear, NO noise you seek.
I believe Rhopoint makes some commercially that you can buy although I have not used them personally.
More details please....what do you mean by terrible, and could you describe the diy Manganin resistors please.

Thanks, Dan.

wlowes

2007-03-18 1:44 pm
Toronto
More details please....what do you mean by terrible, and could you describe the diy Manganin resistors please.

Thanks, Dan.
It has been a while, but from memory I'd say the sound was distorted. Kind of smeared/fuzzy. I was disappointed because I had read that the original AN resistors were special, so I had high hopes. But not in that application for me.
I was actually surprised that there was any difference in sound based on resistors, but in certain applications, I now believe there is more to be gained from resistor selection than from capacitors.
In the old blog section, I described the Manganin resistor creation. Let me know if that answers your question.
2013 Holiday Projects - Ridding the system of resistor problems - diyAudio

It has been a while, but from memory I'd say the sound was distorted. Kind of smeared/fuzzy. I was disappointed because I had read that the original AN resistors were special, so I had high hopes. But not in that application for me.
Ok thanks.

I was actually surprised that there was any difference in sound based on resistors, but in certain applications, I now believe there is more to be gained from resistor selection than from capacitors.
Agreed that resistors 'sound' more than is generally accepted.
I run 75R coax as speaker cables with 75R terminating (shunt) resistors at each end and have compared MF to CF in this application.
The MF sound clear and benign, I found the CF sounded quite coloured, 'warm' sounding but definitely coloured and slightly 'dirty'.

Standard theory would have us believe that there should be no audible difference however I found the differences to be clearly audible with the MF resistors much preferable.

In the old blog section, I described the Manganin resistor creation. Let me know if that answers your question.
2013 Holiday Projects - Ridding the system of resistor problems - diyAudio
Glad you had such success !.
BTW the second photo in the blog does not expand, ie stays as thumbnail.

Dan.