Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

Hi all,

I have the dac1321 and I'm interested in trying out the community made filters but I'm kind of lost as to where the actual wires connect. I believe the dac1321 has similar (the same?) headers on the PCB as the 1121, J1 and J2. other then a rpi and the appropriate cable, what else would I need?

Attachments

• dac1321_open_1200.jpg
    dac1321_open_1200.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 498
Hi all,

I have the dac1321 and I'm interested in trying out the community made filters but I'm kind of lost as to where the actual wires connect. I believe the dac1321 has similar (the same?) headers on the PCB as the 1121, J1 and J2. other then a rpi and the appropriate cable, what else would I need?

To piggyback on this, which of these filters can I use on the 1321, are they all cross compatible, or do I have to use ones for a specific model?

Hi all,

Hmm, that's a prototype board, where did you get that from ??

Anyway, that board is missing the 3 pin serial connector, so you need to use J1, here's the pinout you need, still 3.3V digital levels, use any GND pin, please note it's a 2mm header.
And yes, the dac1321 use same filters as all the other boards and units, Firmware is specific for the board or unit.

Attachments

• J1_pinout.jpg
    J1_pinout.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
@soekris I got the picture from the product listing on the website. (Soekris Audio ApS, Products dac1321)

I opened up my dac1321 and found the same pinout of your attached picture but on dedicated headers. Just looking at pcb traces it looks like the header connects to where the J1 connector connects to the IC. For reference my dac1321 has serial number 59. I assume I should use the dedicated header?

I have a usb to serial port, should I just measure between TXD/RXD ports to ground to verify its 3.3v? following this guide (Soekris R-2R: Firmware upgrade | Dimdim's Blog) says that for the dam1021 you need a RS-232 interface, does the dac1321 use TTL instead of RS-232? sorry if this is a stupid question, trying not to blow anything up :wiz:

This is a link to the picture, for some reason it won't upload from my computer :confused:

dac1321 pinouts.jpg - Google Drive

@soekris I got the picture from the product listing on the website.

I opened up my dac1321 and found the same pinout of your attached picture but on dedicated headers. Just looking at pcb traces it looks like the header connects to where the J1 connector connects to the IC. For reference my dac1321 has serial number 59. I assume I should use the dedicated header?

I have a usb to serial port, should I just measure between TXD/RXD ports to ground to verify its 3.3v? following this guide (Soekris R-2R: Firmware upgrade | Dimdim's Blog) says that for the dam1021 you need a RS-232 interface, does the dac1321 use TTL instead of RS-232? sorry if this is a stupid question, trying not to blow anything up :wiz:

This is a link to the picture, for some reason it won't upload from my computer :confused:

Aah, I should have recognized my own picture....

Yes, it's easier to use J10, the pins are named and 0.1" spacing. There is a guide to firmware update on soekris.dk.

Ok I’ve gotten it working and tried a few filter packs. For some reason whenever I’m not using the stock filters the channel balance is all the way to the left, and the phasing seems to jump around a little bit. Anyone have any insights as to why that might be happening? So far I’ve tried tnt and the multipack in #1698

Edit: so tnt appears fine, I guess it was just the multipack, I guess I’ll just keep trying different ones.

Last edited:
For convenience, here's a link to the instructions (link)
I ordered the FTDI TTL-232R-RPI cable off of Digikey and installed TeraTerm, hopefully things go smoothly :xfingers:

HifiDuino created a list of community approved filters from this thread (link) which has more then 4 filters to chose from. When interfacing with the dac1321 is it possible to upload a pack of 4 new filters at once or will I have to upload them one by one? Is it possible to have more then 4 filters on the dac1321 at once or will I have to swap them out? Also, will the order of the colors (red, orange, green, off) match the order that the filters are uploaded in?

FWIW I'm glad to see there continues to be an interest here. Soren's clever approach fills a unique niche for audio enthusiasts and the products very well represent. I hope he has some great ideas to build on the legacy to bring a next generation of amazing products. And makes the rigid purists at ASR realize they have nothing to criticize.

Still loving my 1541! :up::up::up: Running 24/7 and always ready to please.

Received TTL cable in the mail today, uploaded TNT's post #1833 filters. When using the stock filters I very much preferred the linear phase filter which seemed to have the most amount of detail, note impact, dynamics, and the least diffuse imaging with the trade off of the smallest stage width and to a lesser extent depth. TNT's linear phase filter without DC protection has increased dynamics, stage width, depth, and detail compared to the stock linear filter. To nitpick I would agree that it is a little tilted up and possibly on the edge of thin sounding. My headphones (HD650) are mid range forward and dark as it is, which synergizes very well to my ears :) excellent job TNT. Thank you for everything you've done so far. Excited to hear about a custom filter pack from you in the future.

Hi guys,
I have a new issue to share: My friend gave me two dam1021-05 rev2. The two dams are configured in balance mode. So far it has been working fine until I upgraded to firmware 1.21 + TNT's filter (with DC) in #1833. I have done several times in between, including modifying the power supply of r2r by direct feed of two broads of Salas UltraBiB 1.3 to each of the dam1021 (voltage output set to +/-4V).

I found there's noise (a fixed interval of "tak" sound in background coming from only the right side of the output. I confirmed that only comes out from the right side as I use headphone for testing. I checked all the capacitors in the shift registers' power supply (the small 0603 caps next to the shift registers) and I didn't find any problem. At last I found out that when I change the filter to "Minimum" or "Soft", the noise is gone. The noise is loudest (a lot) when I use "Linear" filter.

I reload the firmware 1.21 without additional custom filters and the problem persist but less occurrence. And I reload the firmware to 1.06 then the problem seems gone. Does anyone have such experience before? Thanks!

and even I reload the v1.21 without any custom filter, it still had such issue, so I wonder it's not about the custom filter. In fact, I have another two dam1021 loading with v1.21 and the custom filters all no problem.
I still have no idea what's wrong so I would like to see if any of you have had similar issue before

An update: After playing music for a whole day, I upgraded the firmware to 1.21 again. This time it's ok to play 44.1 file, but when I play 96k file, the problem back again. It's still on the right side with Linear or Minimum filters used. (Linear with more noise, minimum less). Then I down to 1.06 and it backed normal.
I still have no idea how come it would be like this, anyway, I think I am done with it and would stay at 1.06.

Hello please tell me one think. If i load tnt filters from 1833 and set linear. When i play music that is upsampled to 352 384khz that i really dont use tnt filters? Just stock filter that was in 4pack filters? For years i have use upsampling,dont really know for what. But when i load tnt dc filters i have hewrd that 352 384 are louder, i thinkg little more agresive, it hard to compere becouse it is louder.