Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Soekris' DAC implementations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2017, 07:02 PM   #1001
Curious Fitz is offline Curious Fitz
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
The soekris dam1021 is native voltage out, with a output impedance of 640 ohm from the raw output and 10 ohm from the balanced buffered output. No I-V converter is needed.
Aha! So, out of interest/curiosity (thus the name) - if you were to add an output transformer to the raw output, would a 640 Ohm to 640 Ohm transformer be a good choice...?
Old 15th February 2017, 10:11 PM   #1002
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Fitz View Post
Aha! So, out of interest/curiosity (thus the name) - if you were to add an output transformer to the raw output, would a 640 Ohm to 640 Ohm transformer be a good choice...?
It's probably much easier to find 600 ohm types :-) And I don't think the difference is enough to matter.... Be aware as even as transformers are specified for 600 ohm use, you get lower distortion at low frequencies when driving by lower source impedance....

Not that I used to be fond of transformers, but research for another project have enlightened me a little....
Old 17th February 2017, 04:49 PM   #1003
spikestabber is offline spikestabber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's probably much easier to find 600 ohm types :-) And I don't think the difference is enough to matter.... Be aware as even as transformers are specified for 600 ohm use, you get lower distortion at low frequencies when driving by lower source impedance....

Not that I used to be fond of transformers, but research for another project have enlightened me a little....
You must be very experienced with them given all the ethernet implementations. :-)
Old 17th February 2017, 05:35 PM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Thanks soekris

Yes - 600:600 would be easier to find!

Please could you explain
Quote:
Be aware as even as transformers are specified for 600 ohm use, you get lower distortion at low frequencies when driving by lower source impedance....
in a bit more detail in relation to the DAM? I'm a bit of a newbie!

I have heard a lot of people mention utilising an output transformer between the DAC out and power / integrated amp can have a lovely effect on the sound...

I don't have the knowledge or experience myself, but, was looking into whether I should pursue this train of thought with the DAM board.

If so: what recommendations of transformers would you give?

Thanks soekris

also: any recommendations on getting the 3.3V necessary for the i2s input please?

Old 17th February 2017, 10:04 PM   #1005
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikestabber View Post
You must be very experienced with them given all the ethernet implementations. :-)
I have quite some experince with ethernet transformers, actually I started out with ARCnet transformers, if anybody rememeber ARCnet.... But I meant to say: Not that I used to be fond of Audio Transformers ... but you probably knew....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Fitz View Post
Thanks soekris

Yes - 600:600 would be easier to find!

Please could you explain in a bit more detail in relation to the DAM? I'm a bit of a newbie!

I have heard a lot of people mention utilising an output transformer between the DAC out and power / integrated amp can have a lovely effect on the sound...

I don't have the knowledge or experience myself, but, was looking into whether I should pursue this train of thought with the DAM board.

If so: what recommendations of transformers would you give?

Thanks soekris

also: any recommendations on getting the 3.3V necessary for the i2s input please?
It's something about basic core behavior at lower frequencies, don't know the specifics as I have never used audio transformers.... But when you look at t.ex. a Jensen Transformers datasheet you would notice that low frequency THD increases with higher Rs, higher level and smaller cores....

So my recommendation would be a premium 600:600 audio transformer, like Jensen or Lundahl, with the largest core you're willing to pay for....

Best source 3.3V for I2S input would be the I2S source power.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:43 PM   #1006
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Lundahl LL1690 is probably about as good as it gets for phase splitter in a 2:1+1 setup.
LL1544A would probably also work, but i have never tried that transformer...it's almost half the price.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:44 PM   #1007
quantran is offline quantran  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
If we use a transformer here, it only acts as a low pass filter and there is no other benefit. I think this DAC doesn't need more filtering.
Old 18th February 2017, 06:38 AM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's something about basic core behavior at lower frequencies, don't know the specifics as I have never used audio transformers.... But when you look at t.ex. a Jensen Transformers datasheet you would notice that low frequency THD increases with higher Rs, higher level and smaller cores....

So my recommendation would be a premium 600:600 audio transformer, like Jensen or Lundahl, with the largest core you're willing to pay for...
Thanks soekris

Quote:
Best source 3.3V for I2S input would be the I2S source power.
I'm thinking of using this board to provide the I2S input to the DAM board, should I attempt to find a 3.3V output from it/do you have any advice on using a board such as this please?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...ml#post4984687
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-11 21.59.32.jpg (956.3 KB, 529 views)
Old 18th February 2017, 07:39 AM   #1009
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantran View Post
If we use a transformer here, it only acts as a low pass filter and there is no other benefit. I think this DAC doesn't need more filtering.
What about phase splitter, and isolation?
There is pretty much always positive (and negative) aspects of everything - so it's a matter of what you perfer.
In this case i would myself rather buy a secondary board if balanced is the primary thing your are looking for.
Old 18th February 2017, 08:22 AM   #1010
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
What about phase splitter, and isolation?
There is pretty much always positive (and negative) aspects of everything - so it's a matter of what you perfer.
In this case i would myself rather buy a secondary board if balanced is the primary thing your are looking for.
Isolation is occasionally a good idea, but if you want to use a balanced connection, it is the input end that is important, not the output (driving a balanced, differential connection and input from an unbalanced output still gives most of the benefits of a fully balanced setup).

Soekris' DAC implementationsHide this!Advertise here!