Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Soekris' DAC implementations
Soekris' DAC implementations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 07:02 PM   #1001
Curious Fitz is offline Curious Fitz
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
The soekris dam1021 is native voltage out, with a output impedance of 640 ohm from the raw output and 10 ohm from the balanced buffered output. No I-V converter is needed.
Aha! So, out of interest/curiosity (thus the name) - if you were to add an output transformer to the raw output, would a 640 Ohm to 640 Ohm transformer be a good choice...?
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 10:11 PM   #1002
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Korsør, Denmark
Soekris' DAC implementations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Fitz View Post
Aha! So, out of interest/curiosity (thus the name) - if you were to add an output transformer to the raw output, would a 640 Ohm to 640 Ohm transformer be a good choice...?
It's probably much easier to find 600 ohm types :-) And I don't think the difference is enough to matter.... Be aware as even as transformers are specified for 600 ohm use, you get lower distortion at low frequencies when driving by lower source impedance....

Not that I used to be fond of transformers, but research for another project have enlightened me a little....
__________________
Søren
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 04:49 PM   #1003
spikestabber is offline spikestabber  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
It's probably much easier to find 600 ohm types :-) And I don't think the difference is enough to matter.... Be aware as even as transformers are specified for 600 ohm use, you get lower distortion at low frequencies when driving by lower source impedance....

Not that I used to be fond of transformers, but research for another project have enlightened me a little....
You must be very experienced with them given all the ethernet implementations. :-)
__________________
Soekris dam1021-12v2 dual-mono balanced w/D882/B772 transistor mods & BAL-BAL Headamp: https://imgur.com/gallery/RVBQozq
nc400: https://imgur.com/iORCyna | TT2USB: https://imgur.com/a/p6OiS | HD800 | KEF R300
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 05:35 PM   #1004
Curious Fitz is offline Curious Fitz
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
It's probably much easier to find 600 ohm types :-) And I don't think the difference is enough to matter.... Be aware as even as transformers are specified for 600 ohm use, you get lower distortion at low frequencies when driving by lower source impedance....

Not that I used to be fond of transformers, but research for another project have enlightened me a little....
Thanks soekris

Yes - 600:600 would be easier to find!

Please could you explain
Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
Be aware as even as transformers are specified for 600 ohm use, you get lower distortion at low frequencies when driving by lower source impedance....
in a bit more detail in relation to the DAM? I'm a bit of a newbie!

I have heard a lot of people mention utilising an output transformer between the DAC out and power / integrated amp can have a lovely effect on the sound...

I don't have the knowledge or experience myself, but, was looking into whether I should pursue this train of thought with the DAM board.

If so: what recommendations of transformers would you give?

Thanks soekris

also: any recommendations on getting the 3.3V necessary for the i2s input please?

  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 10:04 PM   #1005
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Korsør, Denmark
Soekris' DAC implementations
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikestabber View Post
You must be very experienced with them given all the ethernet implementations. :-)
I have quite some experince with ethernet transformers, actually I started out with ARCnet transformers, if anybody rememeber ARCnet.... But I meant to say: Not that I used to be fond of Audio Transformers ... but you probably knew....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Fitz View Post
Thanks soekris

Yes - 600:600 would be easier to find!

Please could you explain in a bit more detail in relation to the DAM? I'm a bit of a newbie!

I have heard a lot of people mention utilising an output transformer between the DAC out and power / integrated amp can have a lovely effect on the sound...

I don't have the knowledge or experience myself, but, was looking into whether I should pursue this train of thought with the DAM board.

If so: what recommendations of transformers would you give?

Thanks soekris

also: any recommendations on getting the 3.3V necessary for the i2s input please?
It's something about basic core behavior at lower frequencies, don't know the specifics as I have never used audio transformers.... But when you look at t.ex. a Jensen Transformers datasheet you would notice that low frequency THD increases with higher Rs, higher level and smaller cores....

So my recommendation would be a premium 600:600 audio transformer, like Jensen or Lundahl, with the largest core you're willing to pay for....

Best source 3.3V for I2S input would be the I2S source power.
__________________
Søren
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 10:43 PM   #1006
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Lundahl LL1690 is probably about as good as it gets for phase splitter in a 2:1+1 setup.
LL1544A would probably also work, but i have never tried that transformer...it's almost half the price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 11:44 PM   #1007
quantran is offline quantran  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hanoi
Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
If we use a transformer here, it only acts as a low pass filter and there is no other benefit. I think this DAC doesn't need more filtering.
__________________
Quan Tran
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 06:38 AM   #1008
Curious Fitz is offline Curious Fitz
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
It's something about basic core behavior at lower frequencies, don't know the specifics as I have never used audio transformers.... But when you look at t.ex. a Jensen Transformers datasheet you would notice that low frequency THD increases with higher Rs, higher level and smaller cores....

So my recommendation would be a premium 600:600 audio transformer, like Jensen or Lundahl, with the largest core you're willing to pay for...
Thanks soekris

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
Best source 3.3V for I2S input would be the I2S source power.
I'm thinking of using this board to provide the I2S input to the DAM board, should I attempt to find a 3.3V output from it/do you have any advice on using a board such as this please?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...ml#post4984687
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-11 21.59.32.jpg (956.3 KB, 529 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 07:39 AM   #1009
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantran View Post
If we use a transformer here, it only acts as a low pass filter and there is no other benefit. I think this DAC doesn't need more filtering.
What about phase splitter, and isolation?
There is pretty much always positive (and negative) aspects of everything - so it's a matter of what you perfer.
In this case i would myself rather buy a secondary board if balanced is the primary thing your are looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 08:22 AM   #1010
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
What about phase splitter, and isolation?
There is pretty much always positive (and negative) aspects of everything - so it's a matter of what you perfer.
In this case i would myself rather buy a secondary board if balanced is the primary thing your are looking for.
Isolation is occasionally a good idea, but if you want to use a balanced connection, it is the input end that is important, not the output (driving a balanced, differential connection and input from an unbalanced output still gives most of the benefits of a fully balanced setup).
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Soekris' DAC implementationsHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The DAC "do you have experience with this dac", Best diy dac for the money? murphythecat8 Construction Tips 9 17th March 2014 08:30 AM
WTB V2.6 PCB for ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC –SUBBU DAC grufti Swap Meet 0 26th November 2012 06:51 PM
Ebay dac with: DAC TDA1541, AD1865, AD1955, PCM63, & CS4398! sharpi31 Digital Line Level 2 10th January 2011 08:03 AM
Sabre DAC implementations SunRa Digital Line Level 1 18th December 2010 05:35 PM
diyclub.biz DAC-38, DAC-60, DAC-68. Anybody heard? TonyDasilva Digital Line Level 21 13th April 2009 06:10 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki